Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recirculation fan stuck on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recirculation fan stuck on?

I hear a blower noise coming from the passenger side of the cabin near the firewall. The issue is that I cannot shut it off, as soon as the points are turned on, it starts blowing. Its not the speed controlled blower (as that goes on and off, mutiple speeds, etc just fine). I am fairly certain that its the recirculation fan going, but regardless which position the recirculate switch is in, it stays on. Any ideas why its stuck on? Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks in advance...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Points?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might be hearing the brake fluid accumulator at work.

Not sure what you mean by "points" either?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Nope, sounds just like the blower fan...I can hear the air...Besides, it NEVER stops...
Old 02-22-2007, 05:27 PM

is your rear heater on?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:00 PM

No, I did check that as well...Good suggestion, though...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:50 PM

is there air coming out of the vents? if no, then its not your blower.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon's Test
I hear a blower noise coming from the passenger side of the cabin near the firewall. The issue is that I cannot shut it off, as soon as the points are turned on, it starts blowing. Its not the speed controlled blower (as that goes on and off, mutiple speeds, etc just fine). I am fairly certain that its the recirculation fan going, but regardless which position the recirculate switch is in, it stays on. Any ideas why its stuck on? Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks in advance...
I have been trying to figure out what that sound is on my '98 runner...
Im subscribing to see what it is.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 PM

Yeah, there's some air coming out the passenger side vent..
Old 02-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Ah, by the way, my use of the word 'points' is showing my age..Points were a type of ignition switch/relay, which had to be replaced periodically. It was the old way of indicating the the ignition switch is in the 'on' position..
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM

NOt to being this back from the dead, but I have the same noise in my 97 SR5. I will take a video tomorrow to see if you can hear it. As soon as I turn the key (doesnt have to be started), I hear a blowing noise in the passenger side area. No air, just the noise from the dash and/or floor area.

Any idea? The heat works fine so I am assuming its not the heater core.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon's Test
Ah, by the way, my use of the word 'points' is showing my age..Points were a type of ignition switch/relay, which had to be replaced periodically. It was the old way of indicating the the ignition switch is in the 'on' position..
Actually, while the points got power from the ignition switch through the coil, they were inside the distributor and they would open and close the circuit between ground and the coil primary, thus creating high voltage out the coil secondary for the spark. The full name was contact breaker, and the points were just metal contacts that came together and then separated as the distributor shaft revolved. They were in use into the 1970's until electronic ignition took over. The phrase I remember is "contact", not "Points". But I guess it could be a regional thing.

Last edited by TheDurk; 10-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 AM

This constant fan running near the passenger dash area is driving me nuts - any idea on where to start looking? As soon as i turn to key to acc on, the fan starts blowing. No, my fan is not turned on and I do not feel any air coming out from the vents. Please help.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ShrimpMan
This constant fan running near the passenger dash area is driving me nuts - any idea on where to start looking? As soon as i turn to key to acc on, the fan starts blowing. No, my fan is not turned on and I do not feel any air coming out from the vents. Please help.
There aren't too many motors in the dash other than the recirc. fan. Do you have digital HVAC control? Maybe a servo is trying to move a vent but is just freewheeling (WAG). If manual AC, that's a non-starter. I'd pull the fuses to the AC/heat and see if it stops. That would at least narrow things down. Also try putting the AC in all the different modes and see if it stops. That might give us a clue.

Other than that, I think you stumped the band. Can you hear the noise from the engine side?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
There aren't too many motors in the dash other than the recirc. fan. Do you have digital HVAC control? Maybe a servo is trying to move a vent but is just freewheeling (WAG). If manual AC, that's a non-starter. I'd pull the fuses to the AC/heat and see if it stops. That would at least narrow things down. Also try putting the AC in all the different modes and see if it stops. That might give us a clue.

Other than that, I think you stumped the band. Can you hear the noise from the engine side?
Thanks for the response. I got it figured out and am shamefully posting my resolution. I do have rear air and previously checked to ensure the slider is set to "off" (and it was). After wondering what is going on, I looked back there again and noticed the little fan toggle switch above the slider, which was clicked up. Sure enough, I clicked it back to the middle and the noise went away!

Initially thought since the slider was off, the rear air was off, but I was wrong. Sheesh.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ShrimpMan
Thanks for the response. I got it figured out and am shamefully posting my resolution. I do have rear air and previously checked to ensure the slider is set to "off" (and it was). After wondering what is going on, I looked back there again and noticed the little fan toggle switch above the slider, which was clicked up. Sure enough, I clicked it back to the middle and the noise went away!

Initially thought since the slider was off, the rear air was off, but I was wrong. Sheesh.
You are not the first on the rear fan. It's right behind, "My 4Runner has no jack!".