Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question on replacement spare wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on replacement spare wheel

I have a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 and bought another wheel as a second spare for my truck.

The new spare seems to fit, however the lug bolts for my aluminum wheels seem to fit funny with this new spare? They also fit funny with my stock spare? I think it is the fact that the lug nuts are for my aluminum wheel with the thicker hole in the rim?

The lug nuts do tighten up well on the new, second spare and do not bottom out. My brother said I should get some steel wheel lug bolts?

What do you think, do these spares look pretty similar?

The two photos on the left are of the new, second spare and the one on the far right is the stock spare. Notice the hole in the new, second spare is thinner than the stock spare and also the new, second spare center hole is not a smooth hole, it is notched?

Thanks
Bill
Attached Thumbnails Question on replacement spare wheel-lugs2.jpg   Question on replacement spare wheel-lugs3.jpg   Question on replacement spare wheel-lugs4.jpg  

Last edited by Billinsd; 09-25-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 PM

Here is another photo of the new, second spare with the lug nuts on it,on the left. Is this ok? The nuts tighten down well?

Then on the right is the stock spare wheel.
Thanks
Bill
Attached Thumbnails Question on replacement spare wheel-lugs5.jpg   Question on replacement spare wheel-old.jpg  

Last edited by Billinsd; 09-25-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They sell different style lug nuts! Im not sure what the real issue is but I remember using the wrong lug nuts and almost having a wheel fall off because of it!

Have you driven around with it on? Does it make weird noises or vibrations? If not I dont think there is any issue!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Plus its a spare you should replace the original or with new ASAP anyway!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 PM

I think there are shorter lug nuts for the steel wheels. My brother said the longer lug nuts I have could bottom out, but that is not my case.

Yes, it is just a spare, but I want to make sure it will work. I got it for going in Nevada or way back in the back country where I would not want to drive 100 plus miles on a rough road just to replace a tire, if I ruin one.

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Billinsd
I think there are shorter lug nuts for the steel wheels. My brother said the longer lug nuts I have could bottom out, but that is not my case.

Yes, it is just a spare, but I want to make sure it will work. I got it for going in Nevada or way back in the back country where I would not want to drive 100 plus miles on a rough road just to replace a tire, if I ruin one.

Thanks
Bill
They do sell lug nuts that dont have caps on them so you they will never bottom out!

I would imagine your fine. If your afraid of tire issues get better more reliable tires for the abuse you put them through!

IE people do the BAJA 1000 on BFGs and similar with way more power and higher speeds you wont see! Also abuse most tires dont see in a lifetime!

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 09-25-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 PM

If you hear noises from the wheels or have massive vibration... Get off the road and it will be apparent if its the rims, via removing one bolt and seeing metal wear or disfigurement!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
They do sell lug nuts that dont have caps on them so you they will never bottom out!
Yes, thanks. The ones I have do not bottom out, though.
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
I would imagine your fine. If your afraid of tire issues get better more reliable tires for the abuse you put them through!
I think I'm fine on holes in the spare are tappered like the lugs and they do not bottom out. No, I'm not afraid of tire issues and I use quality tires. It's the sharp rocks on the trails and I do not know of any tire that you could guarantee you would not get a flat. The people that travel this area carry two spare wheels. QUOTE=fillsrunner4;50931213]IE people do the BAJA 1000 on BFGs and similar with way more power and higher speeds you wont see! Also abuse most tires dont see in a lifetime![/QUOTE]That's true but do these guys go through an entire race on one set of tires? Do none of these guys destroy any tires in the race? In any event the second tire is insurance, figuring I will most likely get a flat or ruin one tire.

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-26-2008, 06:56 AM

Here is a better picture of what I am talking about. This looks ok, doesn't it??

Thanks
Bill
Attached Thumbnails Question on replacement spare wheel-lugs.jpg  
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM

I went and took my front wheel off and put the new spare on and it fits nice and tight and I took it for a drive and it is just fine.
Thanks
Bill
Old 09-26-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when I bought American Racing steel wheels it was necessary to buy new lug nuts. The Original Equipment lug nuts were I believe the term is "lugcentric" while the new wheel's lug nuts were "hubcentric" or perhaps I have swapped the two around.

I thought it was just some malarkey to get me to spend some more money on lug nuts-but other shops have confirmed same scenario.

See a tire shop immediately. Someone who knows more than us Internet posters-an expert with facts, not just one of us with opinions.

This could be a catastrophic failure- particularly at high speeds.

The picture #9 to me does not appear that the lug nut is properly centered into the opening.

I am no expert- but please find one to be certain. I tend to err on the cautious side....Let us know if I am full of crap-that is how I learn....