Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question about Foglight/Driving light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about Foglight/Driving light Wiring

Hi there everyone. I have a few questions about a wiring issue that I am dealing with. I recently purchased a 1997 4runner Limited. I plan to do a few things to the truck, and one of them was get some decent foglights/driving lights for the dark highway driving I do. I picked up a nice set from Hella and installed them on the truck. They work great and produce alot of light, but the only problem is, they only work with the low beams. Kindda sucks. Hoping you guys can help me out here and let me know if there is a way to have them on with the high and low beams.

All the wiring looks factory including the switch, (from what I can tell off websites). Is there a relay I should remove????

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:12 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I know that some people prefer to have their fogs work with both the low and high beams, but why? Fog lights are for fog so why would you want them to work with a beam that's going to blind you with glare? Unless you're one of "those people" that think having their fog lights on all the time is "cool".

You can rewire your fog lights so they trigger the relay from the running lights or any source that's hot when the ignition is on, if that's what you want.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rick F.
Unless you're one of "those people" that think having their fog lights on all the time is "cool".
Ahhhh...no. I just like to see all the deer in the ditch as I go by. But thanks.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:18 PM

factory wiring?

Originally Posted by BennyTRD
Hi there everyone. I have a few questions about a wiring issue that I am dealing with. I recently purchased a 1997 4runner Limited. I plan to do a few things to the truck, and one of them was get some decent foglights/driving lights for the dark highway driving I do. I picked up a nice set from Hella and installed them on the truck. They work great and produce alot of light, but the only problem is, they only work with the low beams. Kindda sucks. Hoping you guys can help me out here and let me know if there is a way to have them on with the high and low beams.

All the wiring looks factory including the switch, (from what I can tell off websites). Is there a relay I should remove????

Thanks in advance.
are you using the factory wiring harness for this? I drive an 91, so i had no factory wiring, so i just set it all up myself. Pretty easy to do, just set up a relay to the battery (preferably with a fuse close to the battery) put a switch in the cab to energize the relay, ground the relay, ground the lights, and run the last post on the relay to the power for the lights. BAM! whenever switch is on, lights are on. Not sure if you can even use factory wiring on it, but some other 3rd gen folks should chime in.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by tombothetominator
are you using the factory wiring harness for this? I drive an 91, so i had no factory wiring, so i just set it all up myself. Pretty easy to do, just set up a relay to the battery (preferably with a fuse close to the battery) put a switch in the cab to energize the relay, ground the relay, ground the lights, and run the last post on the relay to the power for the lights. BAM! whenever switch is on, lights are on. Not sure if you can even use factory wiring on it, but some other 3rd gen folks should chime in.
I had to do the exact same thin with my car when I got it. All I did was buy a factory foglight switch, find a constant power source, (prefer this to wiring directly to the battery), run some wires, add a relay and inline fuse, and I was done.

I'm pretty sure that it is the factory wiring because its neatly clipped to other brackets in the engine bay and runs down the drivers side. Sound familiar to anyone???

I was just wondering if there was a simple way off just removing the relay or something that cuts the power to the foglights when the high beam switch was activated.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Benny buy a relay, buy a switch, buy some wiring- bypass factory wiring follow this: https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ghts/corey.htm
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM

Hi. I am new to this forum. I am looking to get some foglights for my 3rd gen SR5 (there are just holes in the brush guard, it came like that). I am looking for something inexpensive (not stock!)... Maybe you guys can help? I checked eBay, looks like a buncha crap..

PS: How in the hell do you post new threads on here???
Old 10-17-2008, 12:11 AM

I have a '97 Limited and I'm confused about your description. You state that you used the "factory" wiring but that you ran some wires & installed a relay.
Pics would help.

Depending on how you want your lights to operate, you could wire them to operate with with low beams only, high beams only, low or high beams, or independent of the headlights.

Show us what you have & describe how you want them to work.

Paul
Old 10-17-2008, 05:52 AM

Check this thread as it worked very easy for me. Basically installing a jumper wire:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...4runner-75177/