Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Powered Sunbwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Powered Sunbwoofer?

I am not an audiophile, but with the help of one board member I decided upon and installed Infinity Reference Series speakers in all six locations in my '02 4Runner. I am very happy with the sound from these speakers using my stock head unit. I do not want to change the head unit and am now toying with the idea of putting in a little sub woofer.

I like the Infinity BassLink X unit that Crutchfield sells but cannot get an answer as to what I have to do to hook up the SW with my stock head unit. I do not want to do anything that is going to require jumping through all kinds of hoops to make the connections. I do not know if my stock head unit has preamp connections or where and how I would tie in the SW.
Will someone please tell me how this would be done?
Old 07-28-2003, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit INFINITY's site.

You can download the instruction manual as .PDF file.

*** Visit www.thezeb.com

I get all my stuff there and they have some great deals on the
Bass link..much cheaper than anywhere else

You only need to hook into one of the speaker leads.
Typically , the rear speaker leads can be found easily under the carpet below the B pillar by removing the door jam trim.

You can use those insulation displacement connectors so you do not have to cut wires and it is easy to return to stock.

The latest Bass Links have a remote volume control so you will just need to install a good quality fused power supply. You can use 10 guage and fuse as close to the battery as possible.

A great spot for the ground is of the rear seat belt anchors. Make sure you remove and paint/laquer on the bodywork before you attach the wire and use the same guage as the power wire.

The Bass Link does not sound bad for as simple as it is to install. It is waay better than bass tubes which are very boomy.

If you are clever with your install, you can use quick disconnects and easily remove the bass link if you wish to remove for more luggage space.

PM me if you need more help,

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 07-28-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:04 AM

David,
I will follow your lead and do some homework. I will probably get back to you because I did not understand some of what you said. I love doing electrical work and consider myself to be quite good at it. Thank you.
- Peter
Old 07-28-2003, 12:11 PM

Surprise, Surprise !!!

David,
I called thezeb.com and they are not carrying the Infinity line... anymore. So, what now?

Do you have another source, other than ebay? I looked there and only found one guy selling the BassLink, but it was in black only. I kind of want the clear cabinet ... Lord knows I don't know why. <g>

I looked at the stereo section of your website... you are one serious young man about your stereo, aren't you. Wow!

You mentioned "quick disconnects"; when I do electrical installations I use connectors all the time so I can return to stock at will. I use Molex connectors. Is this what you mean by quick disconnects?

Also, must I go through the firewall and directly to the battery or can I connect my power lead somewhere inside the passenger cabin. In the past I have been told to use 12 awg cable, but you say to use 10 awg cable? Do we know for sure that the stock 6-CD changer does not have pre-amp out RCA connectors? I will look through the FSM and see if there is any information.

Peter
Old 07-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Ebay or mmxpress.com

You will probably have to some how use the rear speaker signals to the sub. The only thing about that is that they are amplified signals off of a crappy amp. Which is fine for lower sound levels, but as the amp in the stock head unit gets weak (distortion) will start mudding up the signal for the speakers as well as the amp. Just a thought. Also, i BELIEVE, the bass link has a 5channel amp (could be wrong ) so if you do end up getting an aftermarket headunit you can use the bass link to power all speakers on a nicer amp.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:21 PM

Austin,

Thanks for the lead.
Well, for better or worse, I just ordered it from your buddy <g> , Scott Quinn, at MMXpress.com for a grand total (with shipping) of $284.72. I ordered the limited edition CLEAR model.

http://www.mmxpress.com/infinity.html

Now, all I have to do is figure out the nicest way to install it. I guess I am going to have to get one of those phatt gold plated fuse holders and a ring lug for the battery hook up. I can see myself now taking home the big prize at the next international sound-off championship.

I do hate the idea that the rear speaker leads are not the optimum location to connect the SW. In the owner's manual they show connecting to all four speaker leads if the speakers are 4-way adjustable. Are not our speakers 4-way adjustable with the stock head unit?
- Peter
Old 07-28-2003, 02:08 PM

Guys,

I've never ordered through these guys, I usually go through Crutchfield, but they look pretty good and cheap.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...e=infbasslinkx

Looks like you already bought it though.
ManyMods, what were the part numbers you have on your Addco's? Thanks,

Nick
Old 07-28-2003, 02:30 PM

Addco PN's

Originally posted by BlueTrane
... ManyMods, what were the part numbers you have on your Addco's? Thanks,
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the info on the speakers. I went through Crutchfield for the Reference Series speakers but saving almost $100 with MMXpress.com is a pretty good reason to try someone else.

About ADDCO ...
The front bar is easy... #573. It comes in a gold anodized finish as standard.

The rear bar ... #483 is another story. If you followed my experience and the fabulous informationt that James (jalaber) put together you will see that there have been what now amount to FOUR iterations of this bar. I now have the latest (#4) design and I can tell you that it fits with the stock system but still requires adjustments in order to fit with the TRD exhaust system. I finally was able to machine the flange connections on the tailpipe so that the bar no longer touches it during suspension travel, but it is tight tolerance. Addco is not going to be designing anything for NASA any time soon... or maybe they already have and that is the problem with our space program.

The bars are no longer done in red and are now available in BLACK powder coat upon request. I ordered my bars through SUMMIT RACING.

Do yourself a favor and look up jalaber's writeup before you do the install. Also, when you are installing the rear bar, jack up the rear so that the axle hangs down in order to give yourself enough clearance to snake the bars in and out. Assemble your inventory of fastener hardware before you start too.

LMK if you have any questions as you are doing the install. I'm glad to help. IMHO the bars are the best single mod for a street driven 4R.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is all you need to hook it up to the stock deck:

Old 07-28-2003, 06:13 PM

Hi Jason,
So, what is this little device you are picturing here? Where does one get it or is it something you put together in your laboratory? <g>

Hope all is well,
- Peter
Old 07-28-2003, 06:25 PM

I don't remember the name of it but I've installed one before. I picked it up from Crutchfield. It actually splices into your speaker wires (see included diagram when you buy it) to pick up the normal outs if you don't have amp preouts. It then changes them to RCA connections for your amp. I think we paid somewhere near $25 from them.

The first time we hooked it up we got a couple wires backward and the bass and treble were being controlled by the L/R fade...whoops:pat: .

I'd recommend calling up Crutchfield, telling them what you want and they always have a solution for me.

GL,

Nick
Old 07-28-2003, 07:12 PM

Thanks to all who are sticking with this thread and trying to help me; however, I do not think I should need an "adjustable line output converter". But, if by chance I do, I would like for someone to take a quick look at the different hookup schematics that are in the Infinity BassLink manual and tell me which one applies to the stock head unit installation.

Got to:
http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Ow...SLINK%20om.pdf

Thank you.
- Peter
Old 07-28-2003, 07:51 PM

I have my basslink X hooked up (tapped into) to the rear 6X9 speaks. It sounds great. Unless you are in competitions (in which case you wouldn't use this unit anyways), I sincerely believe it wouldn't make much of a difference if you used the RCA's...not to mention if you DO use the RCA's, the sub won't AUTO-ON, unless you buy a gadget or a head unit with a remote-power-out signal. In other words, as soon as the sub gets signal from the speaks you tapped in to, it self-powers on. The sub shuts itself off 2-5 minutes after signal loss. gl with the install, it is much easier than it seems. One of the best purchases I've made so far
Old 07-28-2003, 08:15 PM

the thing jason had a picture of is exactly what you need to hook up an amp to power up a subwoofer (or 2, or 3, or 4 ) We just used that unit on my friend's car last tuesday. He's had 3 headunits stolen from his old car (all of them didn't have faceplates!) he finally thought if he could hook everything up without changing the stock CD player, then people wouldn't go bustin' in his car to jack everything.

his system sounds amazing. it was very easy to hook up too, we just ran extra wire from that unit (that jasonB had a pic of) to the left and right speakers (spliced them into the main lines) (it doens't matter if you hook them up to the front or back speakers either) then we had to ground the unit to any bolt on the metal of the car (under the rear seat is a good area for this), and then finally we had to hook up the RCA cables to the amp itself.

the unit we used for my friends car was actually made by jensen, but it looks exactly the same as in the picture. we got it at best buy.

i hope this all helps. let me know if you need any more install help.

Old 07-28-2003, 09:46 PM

The little box pictured was a high to low level converter, yes this will work but you shouldn't need it. Your basslink already has one of those little dealies built right into it. Should be a plug that comes with your basslink with two grey wires and two white wire that you will connect directly to either your front or rear speaker wires...
Old 07-29-2003, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by heliax
I have my basslink X hooked up (tapped into) to the rear 6X9 speaks. It sounds great. Unless you are in competitions (in which case you wouldn't use this unit anyways), I sincerely believe it wouldn't make much of a difference if you used the RCA's...not to mention if you DO use the RCA's, the sub won't AUTO-ON, unless you buy a gadget or a head unit with a remote-power-out signal. In other words, as soon as the sub gets signal from the speaks you tapped in to, it self-powers on. The sub shuts itself off 2-5 minutes after signal loss. gl with the install, it is much easier than it seems. One of the best purchases I've made so far
Heliax,
Thank you for the testimonial.
Where do you have 6x9 speakers... in a 4Runner?

Please tell me where you located your BassLink box for the best sound...
- Lying down and pointing up?
- Standing up?
- In the rear corner?
- Facing to the side, front, rear?
- How did you attach it to the floor? I do not want to drill holes into anything to mount the BassLink. I thought I could use velcro.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:45 AM

Wow,

Fun thread !

IF you have specifics, email me
Its much quicker than PM's.

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 07-29-2003 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by BlueTrane
Guys,

I've never ordered through these guys, I usually go through Crutchfield, but they look pretty good and cheap.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...e=infbasslinkx

Looks like you already bought it though.
ManyMods, what were the part numbers you have on your Addco's? Thanks,

Nick
I have purchased a Mini Disc player, a Clarion CD changer and some other stuff I forget through etronics.

Fast, good prices, no hassles...yet !

David
Old 07-29-2003, 05:52 AM

I now have to decide how to do the bass in my '03.

The install in the 99 was completely stealth and with some fine tuning, I got great tight bass ( I do not like boomy bass) using just a single 8" L7 (Moves as much air as a round 10") and around 600 watts.

The sub enclosure is glass and very rigid and with a 0.56 cubic foot sealed enclosure, that little L7 bumps good with 600 watts.
It did take me probably 30 to 40 hrs work as it was my first and space was tight !

The real key was a Clarion active x-over unit with a remote level control. I was able to set the X-over frequencies for all channels and then control the bass level from up front to fine tune each song/track.

I am thinking I will be building a new enclosure to replace the JBL sub in the rear of my '03.

I will of course take more pics this time and do a write up.

David
Old 07-30-2003, 03:22 PM

What! He's got another question...

There is one thing I would like to know so that I do not have to tear my dash apart unnecessarily. Does the stock 6-CD changer head unit have any kind of line level outputs or any auxiliary outputs other than the stock harness connector?

Quick Reply: Powered Sunbwoofer?