Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Powered Sunbwoofer?

Old 07-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, that's where my adapter I posted comes in.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay Jason, I understand. Thank you.

BTW, I must say that MMXPRESS.COM is not a vender I will do business with again. It appears to be a kitchen table vender and Scott Quinn is very arrogant. Plus, the prices are not that good. JM2C
Old 07-31-2003, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get the basslink? I have an xtra cab tacoma. I mounted it vertically between the jumpseats. Now its an armrest for anyone who rides back there hehe. It comes with several suggestions for mounting in the instructions. It is built in such a fashion that you are able to mount it pretty much any way you like and it will sound good. I imagine you could get away with using velcro if you place it in a corner. If I had a 4runner, I would place it vertically right behind the rear seat on the drivers side, possibly with the speaker facing forward (test it each direction first), and use the mounting brackets with the self tapping screws (4). I will try and put up some pics this weekend now that I bought some webspace hehe
Old 07-31-2003, 11:23 AM

I have not gotten it yet nor has it been shipped... after two days. I love these guys who carry no inventory, bill your credit card and use your money to buy merchandise that they make a profit on. Oh well, it is done all the time with the Internet but do not tell me you have stock in an item when you do not. And do not tell me it takes 48 hours to process an order, blah, blah, blah. DO NOT LIE TO ME.

BTW, I was checking on the INFINITY web site and in their application guide they recommend the 6002si Reference speakers for both the front and rear on the 4Runner. That means they are recommending 6-1/2" speakers when the rears are 4" and I had to adapt the 5-1/4" speakers to fit. I found that odd and I will ask them why when and if I speak with tech support.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Woh,
Sorry for the bead lead David! I feel bad for suggesting such a bad company. I really hope things work out somehow.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by turboale
Woh,
Sorry for the bead lead David! I feel bad for suggesting such a bad company. I really hope things work out somehow.
Not a problem Austin.
It has happened before. I'll get the merchandise eventually.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:39 AM

Conversation with Infinity Tech Support

I just wanted to share my conversaion with Infinity.
The proper hook up for the BassLink in a 4Runner with a stock head unit that has no auxilliary line outputs is to splice into all four speaker leads, meaning the two front and two rear speaker +/- leads. They do not recommend using an adjustabel line output converter because they are known for introducing static and detracting from the clarity of the sound. Besides, the internal circuitry of the BassLink does not require it. You would want to use a 4-channel converter if you were to use one. The reason for connecting to all four speakers is so that if you use the fader control on th estock head unit it will not affect the fidelity of the sub woofer.

That is it, mmxpress.com has still not shipped my BassLink and I ordered it on the 28th.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:22 AM

Smile Final Comment?

I know this thread has ended but I want to give some closing information.

After my upset with mmxpress.com the other day, the BassLink showed up on my doorstep on Friday. The company did not send me the promised email with tracking number or any notification at all of what was or was not going on with my order. I guess they did not want me to bounce it as I told them I would if it was late. I sent them a thank you, but I will not deal with the owner again. He was just too smug and arrogant for my taste.

I spent some time yesterday with my electrical engineer friend asking him what would be the best way to install the BassLink. I have never done an amp install before and did not want to assume that I knew what I was doing. I will relate what I remember with a disclaimer that I am going from memory and my information may be sketchy in areas, or technically not totally accurate.

He said to make my connections to all four speakers as close to the head unit as possible. The reason to connect to all four speakers is so the fader control will not effect the subwoofer. I am to make lineman splices into the leads from all four speakers, solder the connections and then sleeve them and make a neat bundled harness of all the wires using corrugated wireloom. The optimum way to run the wires is down the center transmission hump because that is the area with the least 12v lines. However, the speaker signal wires are so small and carry so little current that it really does not matter because they will not pick up static noise.

The 12V power lead should be at least 10-awg wire (as I was told before), but I am using 8-awg wire for both the 12V and ground lead. I think I will run the 12V lead across the firewall in the engine bay and then down the right side channel by the frame rail (The BassLink will reside on the rear right side) , but I have to look at where I can access the interior from the right side. I have pretty much exhausted the access point from the large rubber grommet on the driver’s side.

The BassLink unit has a 20-amp fuse on the unit and I am told to use a fuse that is a higher rating, like a 25 or 30-amp fuse in the in-line holder so the fuse on the BassLink will be the first one to go if there is a problem. After I get the wires inserted in the ends of the fuse holder and tightened with the set screws, I can lightly coat the ends of the fuse holder with some silicone sealant at the ends before I use the shrink sleeves or there is some special shrink sleeving that Wytek sells that has some kind of integral weather resistant sealant.

I have ordered my electrical supplies from PartsExpress.

Well, that is it for me. Thank you for all your help and interest. Now all I have to do is start tearing my interior apart… maybe today.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Peter, glad you got the unit at last.

You might want to leave some notes on this vendor in our "Vendor Feedback" section, so others can avoid this place.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:18 AM

Peter, I found a large rubber grommet on the passenger side firewall. I jabbed pair of scissors in there, opened it up, and started feeding wire through. It comes out a little higher than the lowest point of the dash, so you have to be careful the wire doesn't start coiling up behind the dash.

GL,

Nick
Old 08-04-2003, 09:54 AM

BassLink Install Wrapup

Well, it is done and it is sweeeeeeet.

Thanks to Nick I got through into the passenger compartment with my hot wire.

It took me about 12 hours to do the job. I worked very slowly and meticulously making connections that rival anything that the factory could do. I will not bore you all here with the step by step procedure but for anyone thinking about doing this mod, I have some useful pictures and can lend a hand with how to do the wiring along with what parts you will need.

So if you want to do a BassLink sub install, email me off the board at my private address and I will oblige any questions.

Peter@SplitRockRE.com

BTW: My son, who has two 10" subs in the trunk of his car, thinks the BassLink rocks... now where the heck did he go with my 4Runner?

Last edited by ManyMods; 06-11-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:24 AM

Where did you guys put this sub? I'd like to make it stealth and definitly not block the fold down seats or cargo area.

Clarion also makes one small integrated unit which seem like it could fit even under the front seat. Anybody try those?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by 4RUNR
Where did you guys put this sub? I'd like to make it stealth and definitly not block the fold down seats or cargo area.

Clarion also makes one small integrated unit which seem like it could fit even under the front seat. Anybody try those?
Are you looking for something like this?

cover open:

cover closed:
Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Yes I see this is nearly 7 year old thread

I am searching and came across this old but great thread. I have the Infinity BassLink in my rear cargo area and now want to mount it horizontally-(flat if you want to describe it that way...)

However I bought my BassLink used and it came without the horizontal mounting brackets (there should be 4) and I need 2 more long- threaded (at one end only) screws to do so.

If any of you are still around-still have your BassLink pieces-have no intention of ever mounting it other than vertically as pictured above-and would want to give or sell me your extra pieces I would love to have them.

My point of reference is the Infinity Owners Manual for the BassLink- thread now attached:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000029628.pdf

thanks for letting me jump an old thread like this...

Also wanted to point out that the wired remote gain control knob was also not provided with my used BassLink (hey you get what you pay for...) but I found my head unit -a Sony Xplode deck- can do that controlling for me through it's menu.

Pics on my Facebook link as well of my Sony deck, the Bass Link in my cargo area and more oh so much more!
Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 AM

Love my Basslink
Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in the same situation you are, Ron. I bought mine used, as well, and didn't get the volume control and only a couple brackets. I made my own, so when I get home from the long weekend, I'll check to see which ones he sent me. I think they're the vertical ones, but if I have the horizontal ones, you're welcome to them.

If you want to make a volume control I have the schematic diagram for it. It doesn't seem that hard to do.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 PM

toytech is da man-

toytech hooked me up with the horizontal brackets I was seeking and the sound is better already and I like the lower profile flatter to the floor. Gives me more options with my cargo area and room for the pup.

thanks RobD for your help and communication along the way. I briefly even considered just buying another unit used on ebay just to get the brackets... but the prices were always jacked up beyond belief.

a quickie snapshot with my usual cargo blankie in back for the dog's sprawled out enjoyment. She's a bit irritated with me we have not been to the mountains much lately so I owe her big time...
Attached Thumbnails Powered Sunbwoofer?-0610-horiz-basslink-mr2-drivers-window-issue-001.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 04:56 AM

Hi Ron,

I know you cannot do this with your doggy needs but I found it really interesting that beyond the obvious fact that changing the position of my two Basslink subs affects the sound, pulling the cargo security cover over them really brings out the bass resonance. I guess that should have been obvious since subs located in sedan trunks sound so good. I've had my subs on custom 45 degree brackets as well in all other conceivable positions, but right now they are standing vertically and facing to the rear. It's funny; I would trade in my truck for a new one but I love the stereo so much I can't let it go.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 AM

dang two subs! now that would sound awesome.

I wondered if any of you guys from the original thread were still 3rd gen owners and active on the forum, good to hear from you and that is interesting regarding the cargo area cover.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
dang two subs! now that would sound awesome.

I wondered if any of you guys from the original thread were still 3rd gen owners and active on the forum, good to hear from you and that is interesting regarding the cargo area cover.
Ron, when I bought my '02 I bought the identical model for my son who was graduating from college. He just moved from Miami FL to Las Vegas and I questioned him asking why don't you sell it and buy something else out there. I figured he would not need 4WD out there since he is not hard core. He said, "Not a chance, I love my truck". That's my boy; we love our Yota 3G's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powered Sunbwoofer?