Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oil drain plug is in relation to transmission drain plug? 1992 Toyota pickup Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil drain plug is in relation to transmission drain plug? 1992 Toyota pickup Manual

So maybe I am just getting turned around.. But, looking underneath (drivers side) how do I know which is the oil drain plug and which is the transmission drain? And so then where would the fill plug be for the transmission? I have been searching around quite a bit on the internet but whenever I get under there I start to doubt myself...

Thanks guys!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:18 PM

The engine oil drain is in the engine oil pan and is a 14mm wrench. The transmission drain is way back on the bottom the transmission and is a larger bolt, like 23mm or something. The fill for the trans is up the drivers side of the trans and is also a big bolt.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I noticed you have a 1992. You're in the wrong section. But welcome anyway.
Is it a V6 or 4 cylinder?
4WD, 2WD, auto or manual?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fill plug is half way up the driver's side of the transmission. Should be same size as the drain plug. They are both much bigger than the engine oil plug. Something like 23-24mm. If you are servicing your transmission, never remove the drain plug first. Always pull the fill plug first. If you can't get it out, how would you ever hope to refill it. The fill plug can be tricky and tough to get out if it hasn't been out in a long time. Only use a 6 point socket the correct size. Never a open end wrench or 12 pt. That's advice for a someone new to the game. Others may know that there's will come out but you don't. Rounding this plug off will give you nightmares so follow my advice or you'll regret it. Trust me on this. I pulled my drain plug first right after I bought my 89 and then fouled up the head on my fill plug. Took me a week of careful work to finally remove it using every method I knew of to get it loose and feel lucky to have gotten it out after heating it and then spraying it with an upside down can of freon as a last resort.

No big deal but you are on the wrong section. Jump over to the pre 95.5 model section and start you a new thread if you want some more advice. I just wanted to get you that info asap before you followed in my old footsteps.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
If you have to ask that question, regardless of the year or model, put down the wench and step away from the Yota. There are shops that specialize in fluid changes, they may even let you watch so you will know how next time. There may also be videos on your exact model. And as everyone pointed out you didn't provide enough information to answer your question correctly.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm99
If you have to ask that question, regardless of the year or model, put down the wench and step away from the Yota. There are shops that specialize in fluid changes, they may even let you watch so you will know how next time. There may also be videos on your exact model. And as everyone pointed out you didn't provide enough information to answer your question correctly.
Ya you should never do anything that you don't know alwready. You should always pay qualified dumb asses to repair your stuff.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:22 PM

I read back over this and got tickled. "There are shops that specialize in fluid changes and they may even let you watch". Specialize? Like that's what they're best at in life? Kind of like saying "I specialize in tying my shoes and I may even let you watch me do it sometime."

Carry on Tarra Dactyl. Dive in there and get your hands dirty. That's the only way you're going to learn and the only way every single one of us on here learned.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I still have a very hard time tying my boot laces .

Being a qualified Dumb A*s people pay me rather well to repair there stuff !!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Interesting so is the OP changing oil or transmission fluid, gear oil , ATF or engine oil, filter maybe aswell?, I'm no a mind reader like the rest of you guys, but if I was to offer random advice on a subject I was uncertain about I would guess that the ATF pan and engine oil pan are confusing the OP, and that they should probably have someone show them what to do the first time around like a garage that changes fluid for a living, or go to the dealer if you think they specialize in fluid changes, which they do not my experience!. And the people that specialize if fluid changes only changes fluids usually and actually have all the tools, fluid, fluid exchange machine and filters in stock and they grind the face of the socket off to gain more purchase on the 24mm plug so they don't make a noob mistake like described above. I take it some of you did your Co-op @ jiffy lube and just guessed what you where working on..
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM

Powerful mind reading skills. Thread title was also helpful.