Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new member - replacing engine Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new member - replacing engine Qs

Hey everyone, I'll make the introduction quick... I've been reading this forum for about a year now (ever since i got my 4runner) and due to the lack of mods or experience felt i had nothing of value to post... my rig's a 90 4runner 3.0 auto sr5, current with 410k kms on it.(or about 280k miles?) unfortunately, it recently went boom... i'm assuming a rod failure of some type, most likely rod bolt or bearings... eitherway, it was messy... my truck, and about 5 others in my little one-horse-town, have done this recently, so i'm not that suprised. besides, at 410k, i got a good life outta that motor.

I'm looking to swap in another 3.0 from an identical year 4runner, manual tranny, and I'm looking for advice on what i should be looking at as heavily worn items to replace at this time, or for parts i should be keeping off the donor truck. donor has around 200k kms (140k miles?)

only item of concern to me on my rig right now (aside from the toasted motor) is the tranny, after this many miles, i suspect it's in rough shape as well, even if it was mostly highway miles. only issue with the auto right now is it's resistance to overdrive. that is to say, it doesn't go into it... well, almost never... of a 100km trip, i'll spend about 10-20 kms in overdrive. it was suggested that there is a valve of some kind that restricts overdrive untill the motor comes up to temperature and if it were clogged could cause my condition, but it seem unlikely to be this persistent.

I'm sure i got off-topic in there somewhere, and i'm most likely posting in the wrong section of YT, but forgive my newbie mistakes and help out with some advice for the new guy? thanks in advance for your patience, Skyfire
Old 02-15-2005, 07:06 PM

wow... not even a "welcome to the group" reply... rought crowd... maybe i should try some jokes...

So, I just flew in from....

if this thread is in the wrong section, plz let me know... peace
Old 02-16-2005, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SkyFire_ca
wow... not even a "welcome to the group" reply... rought crowd... maybe i should try some jokes...

So, I just flew in from....

if this thread is in the wrong section, plz let me know... peace
Welcome to yotatech ! In defense of the others - you did post pretty late.
Most of us need our beauty sleep.

I had to change my 3.0 engine last July and I chose to install a new rebuilt engine from Orient engine. The cost of a used junkyard engine with no warranty was about the same cost as the rebuilt motor. I even got a 3 year warranty. $2000.00 with free shipping. Good luck with the swap - it ain't easy !!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to YT! (you posted past my bedtime )

Just do a basic tuneup on the new motor (cap, rotor, plugs, pcv, clean the throttle body, give it a new air and fuel filter) and do the timing belt and water pump while the engine is out of the truck and easy to work on.

You might consider getting a tranny too (or have the old one rebuilt) since it will be easier to replace then. Most of the time the overdrive has to do with a solenoid (usually the #3) not working so if you are keeping the original tranny, you can look at this for a diagnosis:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf
Old 02-16-2005, 07:04 AM

so far the concensus is "get a new motor and tranny" which is scary...
Perhaps it'll help if I say that I've already got the 3.0 manual donor truck? $500 took it... and it's not in bad shape...

I'm still trying to decide what to do about that tranny though... I'm kinda scared to see what it'll cost to have rebuilt... maybe i should just swap the manual in... or is that askin to way to much trouble?

oh, and plz don't tell me it's a hard motor to swap... I've never done anything like this before... ack!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

so far the concensus is "get a new motor and tranny" which is scary...
Perhaps it'll help if I say that I've already got the 3.0 manual donor truck? $500 took it... and it's not in bad shape...

I'm still trying to decide what to do about that tranny though... I'm kinda scared to see what it'll cost to have rebuilt... maybe i should just swap the manual in... or is that askin to way to much trouble?

oh, and plz don't tell me it's a hard motor to swap... I've never done anything like this before... ack!
My auto transmission had 210,000 miles on it when I swapped in the new motor. It shifts good and does not slip - I also have the OD shift issue
mainly when the weather is cold - I never notice it in the spring and summer.

I am an expeienced mechanic with lot's of tools - I spent a week installing the new long block engine. Your $500.00 motor is complete then you may not have the issues that I encountered. I would replace the timing belt and the water pump before reinstalling the engine - it would be much easier outside the truck. I ended up replacing several sensors and used new fuel injectors on my engine. I spent about $2400.00 and I did all the work myself. Lot's of luck and patience to you !!!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:54 AM

*cowers in fear* Oh Mighty Gods of the Yota... Protect me from bad wiring and toasted sense... Let those who would delay my project my crushed my your mighty hand... oh, and make my auto work right...

210k and stilll workin good... bear in mind i'm in canada, so... colder weather for you could be most of the year for me... didn't notice your locale Doc... still, think i'll get the tranny checked out... probably need a rebuild though...

I think i've just started on my very own project Money Pit... ack!
peace, SkyFire
Old 02-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, welcome to yotatech!! You might wanna consider swapping a 3.4 v6 or a 3L 1kz-te turbo diesel. I know in canada you can locate a diesel engine easier than the US. Good luck man!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

*cowers in fear* Oh Mighty Gods of the Yota... Protect me from bad wiring and toasted sense... Let those who would delay my project my crushed my your mighty hand... oh, and make my auto work right...

210k and stilll workin good... bear in mind i'm in canada, so... colder weather for you could be most of the year for me... didn't notice your locale Doc... still, think i'll get the tranny checked out... probably need a rebuild though...

I think i've just started on my very own project Money Pit... ack!
peace, SkyFire
Skyfire
I am in Maryville, TN - just south of Knoxville ( east Tennessee )
The engine swap was difficult but doable. I left the transmission in and removed the engine only. Lack of working room was the biggest issue that I faced - that and the dealer had to order all the extra's that I needed.

My engine blew 400 miles from home while I was on vacation. I had to go buy tools and an engine hoist - the work was performed in a driveway in Charleston, SC - It was 95 -100 degree's everyday !
I soon learned to get up early and work until it was to hot to go on - then back on it late in the evening. The front differential does not allow much working space. I jacked the runner up and set it on jack stands - removed the wheels and then removed all the heat shields and inner fender covers - rubber pieces. I have pictures somewhere let me find them.
I'll post in a few. Note : stretch and loosen up before starting - I was sore as hell for a few days.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Pictures of my engine swap last July.

http://community.webshots.com/script...umID=275591984

I remember it like it was yesterday !

I need a beer after looking at these
Old 02-16-2005, 04:57 PM

yea, i'm getting the idea that it'll be a fun swap... lotsa space constraints... but... so be it...

As far as the other motors are concerned... I'd thought of the 3.4L, but lack of availability and price are major factors there... I'd thought about goin 302 sbf power, but the extra parts (adapters and mounts, manual tranny) and space problems curbed that one. I wasn't even aware that there was a 3L diesel available for these beautiful trucks... i think that's the only swap thread i haven't read...

My largest problem is a lack of funds... I've got lots of helping hands... lots of tools and garage space... and I think I have enough knowledge... but i'm scared of what this is gonna cost...

in honestly, I've only got about $3000 cnd into the truck, so... it's not that valuable. To go 3.4L, for the cost I would just buy a 96 truck... can get one for around $15,000 or less, with good Kms and a dealer warranty. I figure a proper block would run over $3000... closer to $4000, I'd really want to swap in the manual, or the auto from the 3.4L. I'd have a wiring nightmare on my hands, and I'd need every little extra bit. But in the end I'd still have an old rusted 90 toy. 302 is no better and i can imagine the same for the 3L diesel... although that really does sound nice...

Any quick links to the 3L diesel swap, or... ?

unless something falls into my lap, I know i've got a 3.0 donor truck available, although the owner is not thrilled (brother-in-law's, supposed to be his play toy)

well... I'm not sure if there's anything i haven't said... heh
off to look for diesel swap info, peace... SkyFire
Old 02-16-2005, 07:35 PM

oh... i did a quic search on the diesel idea... came back with nothing, aside from speculation, that there's any good canadian diesel toy motors out there... although, i'm still kinda interested in the 302 idea... i've searched it, but found nothing solid...

if anyone can point me in the right direction, i'd be appreciated... forgive my Noobishness...
peace, SkyFire
Old 02-16-2005, 07:44 PM

If you go with the same 3vz motor that is in the truck then do not swap trans and engine at the same time do the eng and have the trans ready put a couple hundreds miles on the new engine..then swap trans, that will isolate any problems and help in trouble shooting should everything not work right the first time.