Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

mod blueprint

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mod blueprint

Hello,
I'd like to thank you all for this great site. I've been visiting for about 2 months and registered about a month ago. I appreciate the friendly feedback to everyones questions, even those of us that are not as mechanically savvy. My question: I have an '86 Runner w/ 22re, essentially stock except for BFG 31's on aftermarket rims. I'd like some input on a blueprint for modification. The truck is no longer my daily driver so it can be out of service for extended periods although I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. It has 227k w/ timing chain and valve job at approx 120k, otherwise just routine maintenance. It is currently a little tired and seems to leak oil from every concievable place but requires only about 1/2 qt top off of oil between changes (I change at 2500mi). So... I figure powertrain is first on the to do list. I don't really know the extent of what it needs yet as other household projects have monopolized my time and I haven't even done a compression check on it yet. After reading through old threads about 22re mods the only real consensus I get is that mods are cheap and easy and that a TRD phase 1 cam is a good thing. Otherwise, I seem to find contradictory info on such things as oversized valves, highflow exhaust etc. After the engine, I figure SAS, lift and regearing for 32" or 33" tires, but that stuff is for another time and I have plenty of time to do more research on that. For those of you that have or had a 22re, what worked and what didn't. BTW I'm after torque mostly. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Here's a link to some pics
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi
Old 04-13-2004, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I don't have anything to add in regards to your question, I'd just like to say welcome. It's nice to see another fellow ARIZONAN.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Hello,
I'd like to thank you all for this great site.
hey, no problem.

but i guess i cant take all the credit
Old 04-13-2004, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:31 PM

Well, I've torn into my 22re quite a bit and done a fair amount of mods. Exhaust mods are ALWAYS good. The 22re seems to like the improved flow a bunch. The midrange feels like a whole new truck. I put together a header, high-flow cat, high-flow muffler, and 2.5" tubing all the way back for $300 including welding. Order the parts from Summit racing.

Intake is another good idea. Don't expect like 40hp from a K&N filter or any ˟˟˟˟ like that, but it can help smooth out the upper rpms. On the 22re, you can visit Ebay, search for "22re filter adapter". You can buy a K&N imitation filter (nice quality!) and a billet aluminum adapter for $15!! Not kidding! It replaces your entire restrictive airfilter box. Just throw it in the trash.

You can do alot of fun things with ECT sensor mods...trick the ECU into giving you a little extra fuel and timing.

Electric fan...a good idea, too. Pick up about 5-9 HP and I've noticed a better rpm wrap at high rpms because you're not spinning that heavy old fan.

Let me think a bit and I'm tell you about more things...I'm a med student and have to go see a patient.

Good luck and I'll write again soon.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Hey welcome I'm new also. Place is great, people are nice. I have a 85 SR5 pick up and have the engine upgraded pretty good. What Crazy Diamond said is all true, I've done most of the same mods he has and some different ones as well. Exhaust is a must! Intake is also, but it depends on how far you want to take it to how much it will cost. Are you planing on a rebuild ot just to modify. Do you want to do a engine swap or stick with a 22re. I know of a place in Tucson (where I'm from) that has high performance engines all 22re's up to 250hp (they claim 350hp with race gas, we'll see). If you plan on rebuild yourself i know a place for around $400 they will redo your head with over sized valves, bigger cam (.270) port, polish, etc. The guy now's his stuff also he hase been doing heads for 20years(?)

Let us know more about what you would like to do with the engine, and the guy's on here are very good and will give you great idea's. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:18 PM

CrazyDiamond and Red 85, thanks for the input. To answer some of your questions: I expect to stick with 22re. It's been a great motor for me and I love the straightforward design. I have it in my mind that I need a rebuild but don't really know yet. First I have to finish up a sidewalk on the side of my house, then I can think about the truck. Guess I'll know more after I check compression but at this point I'm better off not distracting myself from the task at hand (sidewalk) or I'll never finish anything. I can't imagine doing the work myself, tho if I find some knowledgable help I suppose I could consider it. Besides, from the amount of oil on the block, I'm guessing it needs just about every gasket changed anyway. I wondered about exhaust because of another thread either here or at 4x4wire about the backpressure being good for torque. It would be nice to go more easily up hills at highway speed but overall speed isn't my main concern. I can drive my car for that.

Mike
Old 04-13-2004, 06:37 PM

That's smart of you to consider the torque issue. Most people only look at the HP numbers, which isn't as big of a deal with a truck. Actually, even with the large diam exhaust I used (I just ran 2.5" because the header collector was 2.5 inch :-), I still picked up a bit of low end. Defintely didn't HURT the low end, just more noticeable HELP in the midrange.

Also convert to a good timing set with metal-backed chain guides. It's an easy upgrade and a must for reliability. Change the water pump and oil pump while you're in there...they are $40 each and you already have them off to do the chain.

A cam is a great idea. I'm in the process myself. It's so easy to get to on these 22re's...it's a 2-3 hour job total. You can get a great cam with around 0.430 lift and a duration 270-280 degrees advertised on Ebay for like $80 for a high quality piece. Just make sure you do the lifters/tappets at the same time. New cam + old lifters = screw up your shiny new cam lobes. The cam swap to one of this size should pick you up 10-20HP and 10-20 ft lbs torque easily. Maybe more with exhaust and intake. It's maybe a $200 job total. Incidentally, that's about the biggest cam you can run without haven't to screw with the fuel tables and go with bigger injectors. That size is still nice on idle and mileage, too.

Always consider gearing to match your tire size and driving needs, too.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond
Also convert to a good timing set with metal-backed chain guides. It's an easy upgrade and a must for reliability. Change the water pump and oil pump while you're in there...they are $40 each and you already have them off to do the chain.

Always consider gearing to match your tire size and driving needs, too.
Yeah I figured on the timing set upgrade and pumps too. Regearing will be phase 2. Plenty of time to decide on that. Glad to hear the torque improved with the exhaust change. Thanks.

Mike