Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Leaky Head

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky Head

So I had wrote up a post about how I heard a gurgling sound and it turns out its the heater core but because I keep losing coolant.

So I would top off my coolant and it would go away then come back.

So then I checked my dipstick oil was low but there was a sticky residue on it.

I could also smell coolant from the exhaust on time to time.

So I've come to the conclusion that I have a head problem as I discovered a little awhile ago when my truck was in the dealership that 2 years ago the head had issues and was fixed.

So now my question is as long as I keep the oil and coolant up how long can I expect the motor to last. I don't have the money right now to get it fixed and want to try and limp it a long as long as possible.

And even after I limp it a long for awhile should I assume that the motor would be done as well? Since if coolant is getting into a cylinder that the cylinder would be damaged?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:27 PM

i just had a similar prob with disapearing coolant and in a sim prob with lack of money. only my coolant was pushing out the expansion tank. anyway, i used some BAR'S HEAD GASKET REPAIR took about 3 hours for the teatment. drove it today and all the coolant is still in the rad. but it's only been 1 day. the stuff is about 8 bucks at napa, might have it at az or advance too
Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head issues,do you remember what they did?...Do you still have the reciept with the parts break down?..

Head issues are very rare on 5vz...or do you have a 4 cyl?

Oil mixing with coolant is also very rare for toyotas period..I have only seen a handfull ,and that was on old 22re's and really bad blown headgaskets on the old 3.0 v6,usually its either a coolant-combustion ,or an external coolant leak at the headgasket..

Does the truck run bad,ie shutter,miss when its cold?

If it runs fine,there maybe another possibility...Do you have an oil cooler on the side of the block? If there is a pin hole leak in it it will cause coolant to mix with oil...

The best thing would be to bring it to shop and if they are sharp they will pressure test it w/plugs out and oil drained to determine if its a headgasket,cracked head,or an oil cooler leak,then do a leak down test if the find a suspected cylinder,then you can tell if its a cracked head or just a headgasket,you will see pressure comming out of the oil fill cap/radiator,or cylinder...Most shops will not go through all of this,because it takes way longer than the 1 hour diagnostic fee they pay to the tech...on an older truck they will price you a used motor...If they do...you are at the wrong shop...

The coolant in the oil,if it gets to be too much,the coolant will whipe the crank bearings....If you cannot bring to shop for some reason...I would do drain and fills on the oil every week atleast,I would not worry about the filter every time,maybe every 3rd time......seriously it dosen't take too much,maybe 25% and your bearings will be shot....

I would not use any type of stop leak....well unless you are stranded offroad someplace and you need to drive your vehical out....It just will cause more problems...
Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 97ltd4x4

I would not use any type of stop leak....well unless you are stranded offroad someplace and you need to drive your vehical out....It just will cause more problems...

X2, A mechanic in a bottle could never solve a problem that needs to be handled with a wrench and a couple (EDIT: CASES OF) beer...

Last edited by scuba; 12-07-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:43 PM

i know but lack of funds and cold weather. just trying to get it to last till 300,000 miles without a rebuild. or 3 more years so i don't have to be e checked anymore.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used stop-a-leak before. It did great......

for two weeks.....

Then it started clogging my coolant hoses.....

and it was a mess to clean out when I changed my radiator...

I wish I had gotten some pictures...
Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by 97ltd4x4
Head issues,do you remember what they did?...Do you still have the reciept with the parts break down?..

Head issues are very rare on 5vz...or do you have a 4 cyl?

Oil mixing with coolant is also very rare for toyotas period..I have only seen a handfull ,and that was on old 22re's and really bad blown headgaskets on the old 3.0 v6,usually its either a coolant-combustion ,or an external coolant leak at the headgasket..

Does the truck run bad,ie shutter,miss when its cold?

If it runs fine,there maybe another possibility...Do you have an oil cooler on the side of the block? If there is a pin hole leak in it it will cause coolant to mix with oil...

The best thing would be to bring it to shop and if they are sharp they will pressure test it w/plugs out and oil drained to determine if its a headgasket,cracked head,or an oil cooler leak,then do a leak down test if the find a suspected cylinder,then you can tell if its a cracked head or just a headgasket,you will see pressure comming out of the oil fill cap/radiator,or cylinder...Most shops will not go through all of this,because it takes way longer than the 1 hour diagnostic fee they pay to the tech...on an older truck they will price you a used motor...If they do...you are at the wrong shop...

The coolant in the oil,if it gets to be too much,the coolant will whipe the crank bearings....If you cannot bring to shop for some reason...I would do drain and fills on the oil every week atleast,I would not worry about the filter every time,maybe every 3rd time......seriously it dosen't take too much,maybe 25% and your bearings will be shot....

Nope its the 5VZ 6 cyl.

I didn't have the work done the first time. About 2 months ago I went on a road trip and the truck overheated. Prior to this I would hear a sound from under the dash like rolling water which later I found out was because of air which was because of low coolant. So I can't say how long it was that I was losing coolant for.

Afterwards I took it to the Toyota dealership (they charged me nothing) and they just let it run for a while and said no issue and let me go free of charge. But when I was there the lady said the truck had been in prior for a headgasket problem which then had me really worried because it also leads me to believe that I perhaps have another head issues.

Yes when its cold it does shudder and idle funny and even after its warmed up it can idle funny.

And on occasion it may even throw a Cylinder Misfire on #3 and then it'll go away.

I did some reading and saw about the bearings which sucks so I'll try to keep the oil up.

But the problem is I'm out of work right now and bills are stacking and going to a shop unfortunately is something not in my near future.

So.. here's to hoping.

Last edited by firebane; 12-12-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy some cases of cheap oil..and do drains and fills often.And you might beable to keep the motor together untill you have a better time to fix it..