Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How difficult is it to change the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How difficult is it to change the water pump?

Loaded up my bike today to go hit the trails, and as I'm walking around the front of my 4runner, I noticed coolant leaking down my driveway.

Anyhow, on the 3.0...how much of a pain in the ass is this job. It looks like its pretty snug in there. I called atuozone, and they said they have them for $54.00... I might attempt that job tomorrow, or leave it till next week depending on how much time it will take. I have final exams this coming week, and graduating monday...I can't really afford to take a whole day up fixing this instead of studying.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:36 PM

fun times ahead

Dude, if that is the 3vze v6 then you should plan on spending some time with the hood up. changing the water pump means taking off the rad, fans, belts, pulling off the timing pulley, taking off the front of the motor (3 panels) to get into the timing belt area. I would give more advice but the hood is still up on mine after three days of runs to the autoparts store. If you go in, I would recommend changing the pump, thermostat, timing belt, crank seal, cam seals, both idler pulleys and seal everything up really well when you are done. Get everything you need (esp harmonic/style puller and some sort of counter holding tool) first, and then rip into it). If it has been leaking for a while, things are going to be hard to get apart in there...

Judd.

Originally Posted by DanBUCF
Loaded up my bike today to go hit the trails, and as I'm walking around the front of my 4runner, I noticed coolant leaking down my driveway.

Anyhow, on the 3.0...how much of a pain in the ass is this job. It looks like its pretty snug in there. I called atuozone, and they said they have them for $54.00... I might attempt that job tomorrow, or leave it till next week depending on how much time it will take. I have final exams this coming week, and graduating monday...I can't really afford to take a whole day up fixing this instead of studying.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:44 PM

Thats not the answer I was hoping for...DAMNIT!!!
Looks like I'll be driving the camaro all week...On a brighter note, its about due for a timing belt anyhow.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that bad of a job! If you have an ounce of mechanical enterprise you can do it in a day! You don't have to take the radiator out but you do have to take the shroud and clutch fan out, and while your there you might as well replace the t-belt and cam & crank seals! It's not bad at all!
Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2004, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my timing belt toook waaaaaaaaay more than one day.... I dont see how it's possible in 4.1 hours as the Toyota Repair Manual listed. I put about 12 into mine, but I was pourposely working very slowly and deliberately.

I pulled my radiator just because I didnt want to accidentally mess it up....

DanBUCF - where are you at? (UCF?) I can likely help if you need it. I just got done doing the whole timing belt thing done on mine. Just to double check - look at all the coolant lines too. My radiator hose was leaking for a while after my Tbelt and other stuff swap. 2 new hose clamps and poof no more leaking. (and a lot less mental worry...lol)
Old 12-04-2004, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
my timing belt toook waaaaaaaaay more than one day.... I dont see how it's possible in 4.1 hours as the Toyota Repair Manual listed. I put about 12 into mine, but I was pourposely working very slowly and deliberately.

I pulled my radiator just because I didnt want to accidentally mess it up....

DanBUCF - where are you at? (UCF?) I can likely help if you need it. I just got done doing the whole timing belt thing done on mine. Just to double check - look at all the coolant lines too. My radiator hose was leaking for a while after my Tbelt and other stuff swap. 2 new hose clamps and poof no more leaking. (and a lot less mental worry...lol)
The reason it's 4.1 hrs. is that most Toy techs have air tools for 1 and another they know what there doing! (MOST) When I worked at Toyota I could do a HG replacement on the 3.0 in under 4.0 Hrs.
I guess because I did so many on that massive recall!
You can pull the rad. to give yourself more room but it's not a neccessity!
Old 12-05-2004, 06:30 AM

Yeah, I'm at UCF...for 1 more week.
I think I'm going to let the car sit for the next week, and then attempt the fix with a good hangover the day after graduation. :pat:

Last edited by DanBUCF; 12-05-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nunsa
The reason it's 4.1 hrs. is that most Toy techs have air tools for 1 and another they know what there doing! (MOST) When I worked at Toyota I could do a HG replacement on the 3.0 in under 4.0 Hrs.
Can you rebuild my engine for me then? lol It amazes me how fast you mechanics are in the shop....if I went that fast I'd break something...lol What are your thoughts on this engine as far as turbo charging with better heads, head studs, injectors, 1:6 FPR, etc? What are the weak points on this engine besides that crazy headgasket issue?

Yeah, I'm at UCF...for 1 more week.
I think I'm going to let the car sit for the next week, and then attempt the fix with a good hangover the day after graduation. :pat:
If you need help just drop me a line - for both timing belt and alcohol consumption!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 12-05-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nunsa
I agree, when I was a mechanic I could do it in about 3.5 to 4 hrs with a lift and all the proper air tools. If you are doing it by hand plan on at least a day and maybe more if you are doing the WP too. It is always very slow if it is the first time you have done one so plan accordingly.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-05-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
my timing belt toook waaaaaaaaay more than one day.... I dont see how it's possible in 4.1 hours as the Toyota Repair Manual listed. I put about 12 into mine, but I was pourposely working very slowly and deliberately....lol)
They can do it fast, 1. because it's not their car so they aren't as careful as you and I, and 2. they've done it a lot more times than us so they probably don't have to stop and read directions, also the more vehicles that go through their bay I think they get more money so they have an incentive to go fast.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Dan, how many miles did you get out of your water pump?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Hey!

I did my timing belt a while back. It wasn't too bad at all. I probably should have done my water pump at the same time, but I wanted to get my 4runner on the road. The first time I did my belt it took me a real long time, mostly because of the stupid crank bolt. Once I figured out how to take that bugger off, it was easy to do the job. Second time, when I had to adjust the tension on the belt, the job took me about 5 hours. I had to pull out my radiator the first time because there was a stud that kept my fan bracket assembly from coming off with the radiator in the way.
Anyhow, the hardest part is getting the crank bolt off. Once you get that done, the rest is pretty easy.

Well, have fun all.
Daniel
Old 01-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Have the shop do the water pump when they do the timing belt. It will be apart anyways so you will save some money on labor by doing it that way.