Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HOLY $H!T My sway bar goes back on today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HOLY $H!T My sway bar goes back on today!

Well I found out why Toyota put the sway bar on the pickup trucks IFS this past Friday evening. Let me set the situation! I got off work at 3 and hauled ass home, loaded my Polaris 4x4 4 wheeler in the bed rather than towing it on the trailer, along with a 2 day supply of fire wood, all of the girlfriends crap and my bag. We were heading to my parent’s vacation cabin down by Seneca Rocks in WV for a weekend away.. Anyway with the weight of the 4-wheeler and wood in the bed the front end was WAY up in the air. I already run my Tbars loose because of the BJ spacers. Well I had some ASSHOLE pull out in front of me at 50 mph; if the 4 wheeler wouldn’t have been strapped in I would have lost it. I swerved HARD to miss him, with out the sway bar and the front end running light from the T bars being un wound along with the weight in the rear my trucks body rolled hard to the point that we ended up going almost sideways, then I counter steered hard back the other way and it kicked out that way, I finally got it under control but holy ˟˟˟˟, I haven’t come that close to flipping my rig EVER. I’m ordering sway bar discos this week, until then the bar goes back on. I didn’t think that loading the bed down would make the front end so loose. I pulled into a Sheetz to get gas and turned my front shocks up a few clicks to tighten the front end up, but man I never in a million years thought my truck would handle like that! With the bed unloaded you can tell the sway bar isn’t there but its not bad at all, load it down and be prepared to crap yourself! Has any one else experienced this? I don’t think my Downey springs handle loads very well either even with the stock load leaves installed. What are the absolute best sway bar discos for the $$ Thanks again and be careful, there are way to many bad drivers out there! Matt
Old 02-14-2005, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah I had a pretty scary moment when a little honda accord tried to drive under my front bumper while we were both going about 65 mph. I don't like street driving without the swaybar at all. The first time I hit a freeway off ramp going too fast conviced me to use discos for trails and keep the swaybar on-road.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation any suggestions on discos?

Man, I really thought I was going to slide sideways and roll into on coming traffic, and had I been going any faster or had the 4 wheeler not been strapped in and shifted its weight I really think I would have lost it. This happened on a 2 lane road with a high volume of fast moving traffic, definitely a wake up call! I know this subject has been posted many times but all of the searches I did I kept getting mixed feelings about discos breaking. What is the strongest set for the $$. Any links would be much appreciated, Matt Does any one know what the safety ratings on lets say my 88 would be compared to a new Taco? I’m just curious as to how it would hold up in the event of a serious crash. I don’t think it would take a roll over though but I could be wrong..
Old 02-14-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=Ilovemountains] What is the strongest set for the $$. Any links would be much appreciated,QUOTE]

Here is were I got mine: http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/disconnects.htm

Very strong, but a bit pricey. They are very fast to disconnect, but slow to re-connect by yourself.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Know exactly what you mean... Before the bodylift it wasn't too bad w/o the s-bar, but now its a little scary...

From my other thread...
Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turboale
Know exactly what you mean... Before the bodylift it wasn't too bad w/o the s-bar, but now its a little scary...

From my other thread...
holy crap i would have been crapping my pants there...timberrrr..Im glad i ahve hte roll bar in mine
Old 02-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

I ohnestly don't think it's safe at all to drive around without sway bars. Without them you can roll your truck just by taking a croner a little hard.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:53 PM

Hey all, Same here , wont drive in IL(Chicago ) traffic without sways.
I dont know much about the Northwest offroad ones but they are only $36 blowout. seems like a good price. I just picked up a set along with some short bump stops for less than 50 bucks. Hope there durable.
Peace...Jay...
Old 02-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bike4miles
I ohnestly don't think it's safe at all to drive around without sway bars. Without them you can roll your truck just by taking a croner a little hard.

its safe if you know how to drive... problem is, most people dont.....
Old 02-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
its safe if you know how to drive... problem is, most people dont.....
But what about if you have to make an unexpected swerve such as described above or when a deer jumps out in front of you? I just think any truck that is driven on the highway should have sway bars intact.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:59 AM

our vehicles already are not made for high speeds, taking away something that makes them road capable isn't smart IMO. I will buy disco's sometime, but seriously, all it takes is one emergency maneuver and you're kissing pavement...
Old 02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Bought mine from Lars Dennert, and haven't had any trouble with them. I was also scared after about a week without a swaybar so I broke down and bought them.

-David