Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Helpme decide how to spend my $$$!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YM13
When i consider buying something new for my 4runner I tend to get carried away and want to always get the best, highest horsepower, most flex, etc...parts that are on sale...I think this is natural but before I buy anything now I start thinking what i'm really looking for and the best compromise between money and performance...for example, 3 years ago I built my own computer. I wanted it to be really fast (so it could last me 4 years or so) and play all of the games out on the market. So looking at processors I found a nice top of the line Amd for like $300, then I saw the $900 processor that was three times more expensive but performance was not that much higher at all. Picture a HP to Money graph that looks like an exponential function (with hp on the x line and money on the y) As you increase HP at first you spend a good bit of money for a good bit of hp and they are somewhat proportional increases..then once you start reaching that maximum point, you begin spending LOTS and LOTS of moeny for very little increases in HP, the graph starts bending upwards towards money and it stops moving very much towards hp...

What I am trying to say is that once you start going into the extremes of higher horsepower, lift, tires, etc... you always end up spending more than necessary...why not get good-condition used supercharger and a kit or two to help its performance and stop there, instead of paying $1,000 - $2,000 more for cams, rods, pistons, injectors, etc. which will only yield a (not worth it in my opinion) 50 hp or so...then use that money to buy a lift and tires and some curb appeal...

Sorry if i'm rambling too long just hard to explain what I'm thinking...basically spend only as much money on whatever you are doing to meet the realistic PRACTICAL application for what you would like...no need for someone who wants a good stereo in their house to buy an audiophile setup for $30,000 or someone who wants a fun fast car to drive around town with a 1,000hp track-built race-car...just impracticable

IMO (to answer the question) buy a used good-condition supercharger (take your time, maybe find one in a junkyard and rebuild it) for like $750-$1,000 then buy the pully kit, injector kit, and fuel pump....get an OME lift and some tires (nothing too big just to look nice but also have lots of off-road potential), maybe some sliders, body armor, grill-guard, rear tailight guards... and put some money in other areas of the 4runner so you will have a well balanced SUV that does everything well; has good hp, curb-appeal, offraod capabilities instead of maybe using all of you budget for 300 hp instead of settling for $250 and being able to afford many other upgrades...

Lol again sorry for the rant just took a long time to express what I was thinking...

GOOD LUCK!
No ranting there... all good points. Just yesterday I had to sit down and tell myself to start slowing down. I want tint, lift, and other odds and ends for my 4Runner. But also, I'm in Alaska and one of the main reasons for it is to explore and love this state so I also want to buy a new camera and a good GPS unit. Well with the GPS, I want the additional TOPO maps and I will need a mount for in to put in my Runner, but be able to grab it for a hike as well. Then the software to print off the maps I want to explore or to download the info from the GPS to keep track of where I've been on the computer. Speaking of hiking, I have a day pack, but I would like to go one size bigger to hold more stuff (Never trust you will go for just a "day hike" in Alaska. Too many things can go wrong). I would also like to go camping so there's a need for a tent, sleeping bags and such...

As you can see it's a huge snowball effect. If I had an extra $5K laying around I could cover it all. But I don't. So I really have to back up and see what I NEED compaired to what I want. Plus I'm raising my two daughters (I'm single) so I have to take care of them and keep up with their needs as well.

But to get back on topic, what does Texas want to do? Is he looking for building up a 4Runner for wheeling (or just for looks) or to get 300hp to play on the streets? If playing on the streets, then get something besides his 4Runner. If he wants to build up his Runner, then go for it! As for me, I have a split personallity. I would love to have my 4Runner plus a GT4 type car or a Supra. I love the feel of my 4Runner, but also having that power of one of those cars can pull all the stress of a bad day away in about 2 seconds!

Wow... Not THAT'S ranting!!! LOL
Old 04-27-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by psraff
No ranting there... all good points. Just yesterday I had to sit down and tell myself to start slowing down. I want tint, lift, and other odds and ends for my 4Runner. But also, I'm in Alaska and one of the main reasons for it is to explore and love this state so I also want to buy a new camera and a good GPS unit. Well with the GPS, I want the additional TOPO maps and I will need a mount for in to put in my Runner, but be able to grab it for a hike as well. Then the software to print off the maps I want to explore or to download the info from the GPS to keep track of where I've been on the computer. Speaking of hiking, I have a day pack, but I would like to go one size bigger to hold more stuff (Never trust you will go for just a "day hike" in Alaska. Too many things can go wrong). I would also like to go camping so there's a need for a tent, sleeping bags and such...

As you can see it's a huge snowball effect. If I had an extra $5K laying around I could cover it all. But I don't. So I really have to back up and see what I NEED compaired to what I want. Plus I'm raising my two daughters (I'm single) so I have to take care of them and keep up with their needs as well.

But to get back on topic, what does Texas want to do? Is he looking for building up a 4Runner for wheeling (or just for looks) or to get 300hp to play on the streets? If playing on the streets, then get something besides his 4Runner. If he wants to build up his Runner, then go for it! As for me, I have a split personallity. I would love to have my 4Runner plus a GT4 type car or a Supra. I love the feel of my 4Runner, but also having that power of one of those cars can pull all the stress of a bad day away in about 2 seconds!

Wow... Not THAT'S ranting!!! LOL
Oh yah I totally understand what you are saying about hte split personalities...before I got my 4runner I was looking into a "sports car" that I could have fun with...then I don't know for one reason or another i bought the 4runner. Ever since then I've had a love/hate relationship with the 4runner because I wish I could have a SUV but also a fast car to play around with. I think the only solution is a good bit of cash and two cars to enjoy.. That will probably be 10 years down the road though as I have to get through college and hopefully medical school so..... by then I don't know if they will even have gas engines anymore lol
Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Oh yah I totally understand what you are saying about hte split personalities...before I got my 4runner I was looking into a "sports car" that I could have fun with...then I don't know for one reason or another i bought the 4runner. Ever since then I've had a love/hate relationship with the 4runner because I wish I could have a SUV but also a fast car to play around with. I think the only solution is a good bit of cash and two cars to enjoy.. That will probably be 10 years down the road though as I have to get through college and hopefully medical school so..... by then I don't know if they will even have gas engines anymore lol
Yeah, tell me about it man! LOL The thing I never understood with "sports cars" is a few years ago everyone wanted to throw all this money into Honda Civics. Yes they are cheap, yes I've heard they are solid, but you're still starting with an engine that was what, 115hp (about 85hp at the wheels). And then you still have just a Civic. "Looks there's one in that parking lot. Oh, and another over there. Hey, another at the stop light!" I would much rather have something different and you don't see everyday (same reason I'm changing up my 4Runner). Yes, you may pay extra upfront, (use the GT-4 for example) but you're starting with 200hp and you MIGHT only see 3-4 others in your lifetime. To me, that's it's weight in gold right there.

If he goes with the MR2, that's still the 200hp in a car that weights about as much as a Tonka Truck (the old metal ones, not the new plastic ones....) They are a little harder to work on, but damn that hp\weight ratio is insane...
Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, tell me about it man! LOL The thing I never understood with "sports cars" is a few years ago everyone wanted to throw all this money into Honda Civics. Yes they are cheap, yes I've heard they are solid, but you're still starting with an engine that was what, 115hp (about 85hp at the wheels). And then you still have just a Civic. "Looks there's one in that parking lot. Oh, and another over there. Hey, another at the stop light!" I would much rather have something different and you don't see everyday (same reason I'm changing up my 4Runner). Yes, you may pay extra upfront, (use the GT-4 for example) but you're starting with 200hp and you MIGHT only see 3-4 others in your lifetime. To me, that's it's weight in gold right there.

If he goes with the MR2, that's still the 200hp in a car that weights about as much as a Tonka Truck (the old metal ones, not the new plastic ones....) They are a little harder to work on, but damn that hp\weight ratio is insane...
Yeah, i really don't care which one i get, it is all about what i can find in my price, i like the GT-4 a little better are far as performance goes (always have been partial to the AWD drivtrain). But I will take either one of them for the right price.

And no, You are not strange for still feeling bad about your car. if i had had a car like that stolen i would still feel it Too.

When i consider buying something new for my 4runner I tend to get carried away and want to always get the best, highest horsepower, most flex, etc...parts that are on sale...I think this is natural but before I buy anything now I start thinking what i'm really looking for and the best compromise between money and performance...for example, 3 years ago I built my own computer. I wanted it to be really fast (so it could last me 4 years or so) and play all of the games out on the market. So looking at processors I found a nice top of the line Amd for like $300, then I saw the $900 processor that was three times more expensive but performance was not that much higher at all. Picture a HP to Money graph that looks like an exponential function (with hp on the x line and money on the y) As you increase HP at first you spend a good bit of money for a good bit of hp and they are somewhat proportional increases..then once you start reaching that maximum point, you begin spending LOTS and LOTS of moeny for very little increases in HP, the graph starts bending upwards towards money and it stops moving very much towards hp...

What I am trying to say is that once you start going into the extremes of higher horsepower, lift, tires, etc... you always end up spending more than necessary...why not get good-condition used supercharger and a kit or two to help its performance and stop there, instead of paying $1,000 - $2,000 more for cams, rods, pistons, injectors, etc. which will only yield a (not worth it in my opinion) 50 hp or so...then use that money to buy a lift and tires and some curb appeal...

Sorry if i'm rambling too long just hard to explain what I'm thinking...basically spend only as much money on whatever you are doing to meet the realistic PRACTICAL application for what you would like...no need for someone who wants a good stereo in their house to buy an audiophile setup for $30,000 or someone who wants a fun fast car to drive around town with a 1,000hp track-built race-car...just impracticable

IMO (to answer the question) buy a used good-condition supercharger (take your time, maybe find one in a junkyard and rebuild it) for like $750-$1,000 then buy the pully kit, injector kit, and fuel pump....get an OME lift and some tires (nothing too big just to look nice but also have lots of off-road potential), maybe some sliders, body armor, grill-guard, rear tailight guards... and put some money in other areas of the 4runner so you will have a well balanced SUV that does everything well; has good hp, curb-appeal, offraod capabilities instead of maybe using all of you budget for 300 hp instead of settling for $250 and being able to afford many other upgrades...

Lol again sorry for the rant just took a long time to express what I was thinking...

GOOD LUCK!
Nope, no rant there. You actually pretty much described exactly what i was thinking. I also build my computers every few years and my goal with them is to get in the top 10% of performance. After that you spend a ton for a little.

With my truck, I think i have pretty much decided to do a Basic SC setup. SC, fules mods and other basics. Take my time and find the parts for cheap.

Then get another car for some real fun!

The end goal for my truck is really something that will pretty much be around forever as a DD. It needs more power, that is just something i can;t get around. so do some basic SC and get it running good and relible.

Then use it for a little bit of everything, street Queen, minor off-roading, DD and just make it fun to drive.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Yeah, i really don't care which one i get, it is all about what i can find in my price, i like the GT-4 a little better are far as performance goes (always have been partial to the AWD drivtrain). But I will take either one of them for the right price.
I emailed that guy from his site that I sent to you. He's there in the Dallas area I think (somewhere). I also noticed that site hasn't been updated for a long time. So I'm taking a chance to see if he still monitors it. I think you may try to track him down as well. I remember his name is Chris, but other then that I have no idea. He would have contacts of others who have those cars. Maybe one is in the market of selling... If nothing else, suck up to him and see if he will give you a ride! LOL I think his site said 425hp... I would be smiling like the Joker of I could get into that.

If he replies I'll pass it on to you.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

I emailed that guy from his site that I sent to you. He's there in the Dallas area I think (somewhere). I also noticed that site hasn't been updated for a long time. So I'm taking a chance to see if he still monitors it. I think you may try to track him down as well. I remember his name is Chris, but other then that I have no idea. He would have contacts of others who have those cars. Maybe one is in the market of selling... If nothing else, suck up to him and see if he will give you a ride! LOL I think his site said 425hp... I would be smiling like the Joker of I could get into that.

If he replies I'll pass it on to you.
Sounds good to me, That would be a fun ride indeed! And if i could find a deal on a GT-4 that would be great. I would almost prefer one with a busted enging as that is about the only way i could afford to get one. lol
Old 04-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Dennis had tons of info and links to other members as well.

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~gtfour/

Jose is in Florida. He had massive amounts of info, pics, links on his old site. It was:
www.allwheelmotion.com

But it looks like he's upgraded to Lexus. But still contact him and see what he can do for you. All these guys would bend over backwards in helping you.

I'm finding members in threads like this:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewto...cd8159d24af945

Last edited by psraff; 04-27-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Dennis had tons of info and links to other members as well.

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~gtfour/

Jose is in Florida. He had massive amounts of info, pics, links on his old site. It was:
www.allwheelmotion.com

But it looks like he's upgraded to Lexus. But still contact him and see what he can do for you. All these guys would bend over backwards in helping you.

I'm finding members in threads like this:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewto...cd8159d24af945

That is some good info, plenty of stuff to read so i can see what i am getting into! thanks!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace

And no, You are not strange for still feeling bad about your car. if i had had a car like that stolen i would still feel it Too.

Nope, no rant there. You actually pretty much described exactly what i was thinking. I also build my computers every few years and my goal with them is to get in the top 10% of performance. After that you spend a ton for a little.

With my truck, I think i have pretty much decided to do a Basic SC setup. SC, fules mods and other basics. Take my time and find the parts for cheap.

Then get another car for some real fun!

The end goal for my truck is really something that will pretty much be around forever as a DD. It needs more power, that is just something i can;t get around. so do some basic SC and get it running good and relible.

Then use it for a little bit of everything, street Queen, minor off-roading, DD and just make it fun to drive.
Yah basically same with me, I'm keeping it forever but also wanna get something else in the future so I'll wait until then to do something extreme..haha good choice though i think everyone needs a "sports car" to work on and an SUV as well
Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guys in the Info Tech dept at my office have a name for what you are describing: In your example of the computers, it is the difference between buying "leading edge" and "bleeding edge" -- ie. the small increase in performance you get from buying the absolute best in class product is going to make the wallet bleed large amounts of cash.

Sorry, just felt the need to put a name to the principle you described because you described it so perfectly.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is getting to remind me of the srt8 heep that tried to race my friend's 06 GTO