Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help: I may have a bent wheel... :(

Old 03-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help: I may have a bent wheel... :(

Here's the deal. I went and had my tires rotated and balanced a couple weeks ago at Discount Tire. The last time this was done at Wally World, I was told that I had a bent wheel but I just dismissed it. Anyways, this so-called bent wheel is now on the front. So after the rotate and balance I was getting some vibration. Well, I took it back to Discount Tire and had them re-balance the tires. Guess what, I'm still getting some vibration between 55-60 mph that comes through the steering wheel and the cab. But here's what's weird, the vibration seems to come and go but doesn't correspond with how hard I'm pressing on the gas.

Does this sound like a classic case of a bent wheel?

I haven't had a chance to jack it up and spin the tire to see if it has a problem. I may rotate the two tires on that side to see if that helps. I don't know if I will be able to find another Classic wheel because they aren't in production anymore. Maybe this will just have to be an excuse to go to some black steel wheels.

Thanks Guys

:cry:
Old 03-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

I guess maybe I should post earlier in the evening.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

I would think with a bent wheel you would feel the vibration at all times. I also don't see how it would ever come into balance if the wheel was bent. I would take it somewhere else and let them check the wheel in question.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:42 AM
CTB

Hey guys,

Just my input from working at the garage and trying to balance bent rims...

Technically, you can get them to balance, or so the machine says. But, you can definitely still feel the vibration when driving, especially if the bent rim is on the front end.

Is your rim not visually bent, or haven't you looked yet? If it is bent, I'd either start looking for a new rim, or at least put it on the passenger rear until you find something new.

Good luck-

Cody
Old 04-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Update

Well I just thought I'd post an update to my problem.

I finally got around to going back to Discount Tire. I thought they were going to use the Roadforce machine but they didn't. Anyways, I watched/spoke with the tech while he rebalanced my front tires. I'm happy to say that I don't have a bent wheel. That's a relief to me so I guess I won't be getting any Tech1s. The driver's side wheel and tire were balanced correctly. The passenger side tire was a different story. The wheel wasn't bent and the tire was fine. However, the first two retards that balanced my tires didn't know how to put the right amount of weight on. So this tech added some weight to the tire. Now everythings nice and smooth.

Now I have to figure out why my brand new rotors are beginning to warp again.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
Now I have to figure out why my brand new rotors are beginning to warp again.
Could this be because you're torquing the wheels too tight? Not sure but I'd thought I'd chime in.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
Could this be because you're torquing the wheels too tight? Not sure but I'd thought I'd chime in.
I've heard of this happening before but I haven't retorqued my lug nuts except for when I did it to check Discount Tire's work. I don't feel I torqued them too hard compared to how they were torqued previously but I had some vibration before that anyways. Discount Tire uses a torque wrench for the final tighten so I'm not too worried about that.

I didn't get around to checking my rear brakes yet but hopefully I can do that this week or maybe this weekend. The steering stabilizer will be going on really soon.

Old 04-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Well...I'm kinda glad you don't have a bent rim but then I'm also not, I was hoping you'd join the Steel Club!

Fink
Old 05-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Post Vibration Update...

Well I finally got to do a little work on the 4runner today. I adjusted my rear brakes. All went well until I got to the passenger rear which was rusted on. It never would have come off if Toyota hadn't put those two threaded holes in the drum. Since I had the rear tires off, I decided to rotate the tires to see if that would fix my vibration. Well during the test drive, it was still there (much to my dismay ). So that tells me the problem isn't in the tires or wheels. I did notice something peculiar that leads me to believe that I know what the problem is. My first drive on the interstate yielded almost no vibration. So I exited and turned around. I've noticed that when my rotors are warm, I can feel the warpage more. Anyways, this got my rotors warm. Coming back on the interstate is when I really noticed the vibration. So this leads me to believe that it is caused by my warped rotors somehow. I know the vibration is in the front because I can feel it in the steering wheel. It still seems weird because I can feel it when I'm not applying the brakes and it seems to come and go.

Anyways, that's the update. I'll post more when I decide to replace/turn my rotors again.