Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Gun owners – Interior holster suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gun owners – Interior holster suggestions

Not sure if this belongs in Off Topic or not, but…

I’d like to mount a holster somewhere in my ’98, any suggestions / pics?

My carry is a FN .40, so it fits in a med. frame holster, such as a Colt Govt. size frame.

Mike
Old 03-15-2003, 06:59 PM

I've thought about this too...I've always thought about maybe velcroing a fobus-style hard holster (uncle mike's holsters would work too ) on the center console b/w the center console and the seat....You could velcro it low enough so that all that was visible would be the grip. This would keep it out of sight when you were sitting down, but allow you easy access in an emergency. The velcro would allow you to remove it when you left your 4R. Of course this would prolly only be practical if you had a right hand draw.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:16 PM

It would have to be a lefty holster I think, mounted on the console.

I have a CCW, but a shoulder rig is not my bag and a hip hugger or in pant is too uncomfortable while driving.

I'll run over to the local shop (Yay, AZ has Gun Stores open on SUNDAY!) and find a rig and figger it out.

Will post pics when done.

Mike
Old 03-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Take a look at some of the cross-draw holsters (DeSantis, Galco etc), and some manufacturers actually make holsters for driving. My primary CCW is from VA. If I'm driving long distances, I sometimes use a cross-draw holster. If needed, all I have to do is reach over to my lower left side for my Glock 23.

FIST Driving Holster

Freedom Arms' Holster

[Pic from GunBlast Review, it's not me.]
Old 03-15-2003, 09:16 PM

Galco is just across town for me, but they are a little too proud of their product. Nice stuff, but I'm too old and too fat to wear a cross draw... I did a little Googling, still looks like it's mother of invention time .

Mike
Old 03-15-2003, 09:54 PM

I just carry IWB the entire time, but I am practiced on drawing from that pos in an auto... However, you can zip tie a cheapo thumb break holster to the under side of your steering column (check your local laws.)
Fobus also makes a nifty auto mount, I have no experience with, but looks like it may be okay.

Real world, keep your doors locked, do not get out of the car, you have a great weapon...a 3000lb+ auto.

Roadrunner has the right idea, but that is state dependent.

BTW: Galco can go "f" themselves.... They have ripped off more peoples designes than anybody. Some of the people I know.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sigh....CCW. Lucky bastages.

Bob
Old 03-15-2003, 10:52 PM
LL

Hmm, just a question, what kind of emergencys do you guys think your going to run into needing a gun?
Old 03-16-2003, 04:41 AM

Not a big fan of galco, I would go blade tech or sidearmor depending on what kind of gun you carrying. if you want to mount a holster, i think between the console and the passenger seat is the best way, if you a righty. its an easier draw. you will probably have to play with the positioning and the degree of cant in terms of consealiblity and access. However i would not use this setup unless I was in the car. Long drives, etc... Would not park overnight, or leave it parked. Hope this gives you ideas.

To answer LL's question, It only takes one time..
Old 03-16-2003, 04:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by LL
Hmm, just a question, what kind of emergencys do you guys think your going to run into needing a gun?
Hopefully, none. However, it is good to have that when you need it. If your truck is incapacitated, you cant run, and you will die in about 10 seconds if you dont do something is where a CCW will save you....I truely hope to God noone is put in that situation however.

Steve
Old 03-16-2003, 04:49 AM

Aren't ypu afraid someone may get hurt on accident say your children, Seems scary to me.?

JMO

Andy
Old 03-16-2003, 04:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by ringo234
Aren't ypu afraid someone may get hurt on accident say your children, Seems scary to me.?

JMO

Andy
One thing I love about this forum is how level-headed and down to earth everyone is. Calmly discussing this topic would have initiated a flame war on even the most sedate boards. Im buying yotatech stickers now.

Show your children the power that a weapon posses. When I was 3 my parents shot a 1gallon jug of water with a .44 I was told that could be someone's head, so 'DO NOT TOUCH ANY GUNS.' And if I did they told me I'd get the worst spanking ive EVER had as well....lol Im 24 now and my kids will be raised around guns like I was with the same level of discipline. My parents were around all the time - as I plan to be for my kids.

(I'll none the less keep most all of the guns put away)

Guns are just like our toyotas, if in the wrong hands or misused, they can be leathal weapons.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-16-2003 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Hey azrain you might want to try this web site: http://www.packing.org/

It deals with all issues of ccw. Try posting this question on the "gun talk section"--thats were the message board is located.

I would be leary of mounting a fobus or kydex hoster, the jerk to get the gun out might pull the velcro loose and you still have the gun in the hoster...... leather might be a better option or even a pistol rug. I think if you are a lefty like me you might want to try something in the door pocket. or if you want a cross draw try between the console and seat?

carry safe

Last edited by Poul D'eau; 03-16-2003 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Guns are just like our toyotas, if in the wrong hands or misused, they can be leathal weapons.
I couln't have said it better...

I too was brought up around the shooting sports. At age 9 I was already competing in local small bore prone matches. When you teach kids to respect guns (or anything else), the will be far fewer problems. It's when you let the fear or such "dangerous" weapons cloud their view, you will have problems.

I don't have any good ideas about securing a holster in the vehicle. It is illegal in Ct. The Ct. pistol permit is for concealed carry "on your person". You are not even supposed to leave a fire arm in the glovebox. When driving I always carry something small (like a Colt Mustang, or Sig .380) inside the pants. I've gotten used to it, and it isn't really that uncomfortable anymore.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5

Bob
Johnny Dangerously! Oops, different thread...hehe

I agree though, I had a CCW when I lived in PA. I doubt I'll try to get one in Cali.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Sadly mertztr, since CA is not a "shall issue" state like PA is. You won't be getting a ccw unless you have a friend in court....
Old 03-16-2003, 10:26 AM

Oh man, a question tailor made for me. I LOVE good quality gun leather! Check http://www.holsters-for-handguns.com/jcb.htm http://www.mitchrosen.com/new_produc..._products.html (the CCR) and http://www.klnullholsters.com/

Old 03-16-2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5

Bob
Hey Bob, it's not all it's cracked-up to be. Sometimes, my Glock 27 REALLY DIGS into the small of my back. I'm probably going to have to buy a decent cross body holster for long trips. You see? It's always something.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:52 PM

You shouldn't carry in the small of your back for safety reasons... ie: your spine.
Look at vet cops and you'll notice they don't have anything located behind their spine. Very poor idea.

refer to this:
http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-sob.html

Mitch Rosen makes nice stuff, my belts and holsters.

Last edited by JGage; 03-16-2003 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

gundeck

ah yes where to keep the little thing hidden till I NEED it.
if I find the site I'll list it later but here is the premmis and maybe some of you will now what I talking about.
It's a safe that fits under the seat with a drawer that slides out (FAST). As i remember aprox. 12"x15"x3" . my buddy hooked it up in his toy with a false High beam switch on the floor, the old type like in jeeps, you hit the switch with your foot and the drawer slides out. it has a round lock on the outside so it could be considered a two step for those of us without a cwc

I live in california with all the liberal laws. so I would rather be judged by 12 than shot by 1.

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER

Quick Reply: Gun owners – Interior holster suggestions