Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Fixin' the CV

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CV rebuild kit

Well I'm sitting here in the middle of my living room cleaning and rebuilding my axle. It's a good thing the wife is sleeping. The manual says to use 9.6-9.9 ounces of the brown grease in the inner tripod joint. 9.9 ounces is the whole tube and I just wanted to make sure I'm suppose to squirt the whole thing in there.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
david in germany

about to do mine too (when I get the hub nut socket) but I have Q too. white on the outside and brown on the inside? Why?
sooo confusing.
David
Old 08-21-2003, 05:35 AM

I've always used the whole tube and never had a problem.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:58 AM

The grease is different because the joints are different. The inside joint is a tulip joint with 3 little bearings. The outside is a standard cv with large balls that roll in groves.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Talking nevermind

almost made a "ball" joke

lol
David
Old 08-21-2003, 06:30 AM

I know. At least all our trucks have the same size "balls".
Old 08-21-2003, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Steve, I hope you took pics of that! Sarah would put me in the hospital if I ever tried something like that.

David and Highland Runner, click here.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:20 AM

Wow, I think the cops would pull you over for having those nuts on your truck.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok enuf with the lubricant and ball jokes...
Old 08-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Okay guys I got a serisous queston for ya here. Not that I don't enjoy a good nut joke like everyone else but this has been on my mind for awhile now. There is a sound coming from what seems like the front of my truck, it sounds like a dime being rattled in a glass jar, tink, tink, tink kinda sound. Now I know my inner CV boot has seperate from the axel all together but would that sound be a hit that I need to replace the whole shaft or just add the new boots and greese to both inner and outer? I have been told that I don't need to replace the axel shaft unless I hear sounds, but would that be a sound from the axel be worn out or coudl I get away with just cleaning up the shaft really good and adding new boots? Thanks, and now that I'm done and if someone could answer my question, I just inadvertenly(sp) added another punch line for someone, shaft, to go along with balls and lube. So have at it.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Stump1883
Okay guys I got a serisous queston for ya here. Not that I don't enjoy a good nut joke like everyone else but this has been on my mind for awhile now. There is a sound coming from what seems like the front of my truck, it sounds like a dime being rattled in a glass jar, tink, tink, tink kinda sound. Now I know my inner CV boot has seperate from the axel all together but would that sound be a hit that I need to replace the whole shaft or just add the new boots and greese to both inner and outer? I have been told that I don't need to replace the axel shaft unless I hear sounds, but would that be a sound from the axel be worn out or coudl I get away with just cleaning up the shaft really good and adding new boots? Thanks, and now that I'm done and if someone could answer my question, I just inadvertenly(sp) added another punch line for someone, shaft, to go along with balls and lube. So have at it.
Is your CV boot torn? If so then I would replace the whole axle. The grease has fallen out and dirt has already contaminated the joint. That's why you are getting the "clicking" sound when turning.

If the boot is just cracked, you MAY be able to just change the boot, only if the joint doesn't show any signs of wear.

My guess is that if you are getting a sound (clicking when turning) then your joint is toast, and it would be best to get a new axle.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Re: CV rebuild kit

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Well I'm sitting here in the middle of my living room cleaning and rebuilding my axle. It's a good thing the wife is sleeping. The manual says to use 9.6-9.9 ounces of the brown grease in the inner tripod joint. 9.9 ounces is the whole tube and I just wanted to make sure I'm suppose to squirt the whole thing in there.
I used the whole tube when I replaced the boots on my Celica. No problems here.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the speedy response.

That is what I was afraid of, it's not just when turning it's all the time, it goes away after you get going but I think that's just b/c of the wind sounds and engine noise. So now I will have to shell out another $100 or so and find some more free time than I thought.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Stump1883
Thanks for the speedy response.

That is what I was afraid of, it's not just when turning it's all the time, it goes away after you get going but I think that's just b/c of the wind sounds and engine noise. So now I will have to shell out another $100 or so and find some more free time than I thought.
Most people only realize it when they are turning sharp (like into a parking space). I think the sound also has to do with how much stress you put on the joint itself (turning sharp puts the most stress on it. When you drive fast, you don't turn that sharp, so you don't notice the sound as much)

Replacing the axle is a heck of a lot easier than installing new boots. All you do is pull the old axle out, put the new one in, and return the old axle to get your core deposit back.

Replacing the boot, you have to take the axle out, take the inner boot and joint off, take the old outer boot off, put the new outer boot on, put the new inner boot on, put the inner joint back on, don't forget the grease! Very messy!!
Old 08-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone have a write up or knoe of one about how to replace the front axel and CV boots, I'm pretty mechanically inclinded but I have never done CV or drivetrain work, so a write up would be appreciated. Thanks agian.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey! this is my thread! J/K

When I was searching last night I came across at least 1 writeup. Search for CV boot.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

hey

Originally posted by SLC Punk

Replacing the boot, you have to take the axle out, take the inner boot and joint off, take the old outer boot off, put the new outer boot on, put the new inner boot on, put the inner joint back on, don't forget the grease! Very messy!!
some of us like to lube our shafts!!! and the mesyer the better
but some times you just have to break down and get the shaft.....
Old 08-21-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Highland Runner
Wow, I think the cops would pull you over for having those nuts on your truck.
actually my friend has a set on his 89 pickup, its red and it has blue balls.....cops never said anything to him when we got pulled over....his girlfriend on the other hand hates them!

later
wade
Old 08-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Re: hey

Originally posted by david in germany
some of us like to lube our shafts!!! and the mesyer the better
but some times you just have to break down and get the shaft.....
Oh ya, the worst thing you could do is run dry!