86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Yotard's 95 4Runner Build

Old 03-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yotard's 95 4Runner Build

So I have been on here for a few years now and I have been meaning to do this since the beginning.

In 2010 I bought a 1995 4Runner 3.0 auto trans 4x4 with 135,000mi

Here it is as I bought it:

Since then I have added
1.5" Ball joint spacers
New Toyota upper and lower ball joints
OME 901HD coils
4crawler pan hard drop
Old man emu shocks at all four corners
Old man emu steering stabilizer
Northwest off road idler truss

Warn HD manual hubs
Eagle Alloy rims with 32x11.5/15 BFG KM2

My A/C never worked right so I bought a Denso AC compressor, dryer and expansion valve from autopartswarehouse.com and after 2 years is still blowing cold air.

I put in a new 3row all metal radiator from autopartswarehouse.com with a new thermostat and radiator hoses

I was having trouble with the transmission temp light coming on when I went up into the hills over Donner Summit so I added a Hayden 777 and an auto meter phantom gauge into it. Never gets over 220 climbing the hills now.
The hayden 777 has large AN fittings that I put a 1/2 pipe thread into the fitting and then ran regular tapered brass fittings to instead of the AN that I couldn't find fittings for.

Rebuilt my Hi-Lift

Added a Surco Safari rack with Jack mount

Bought Motive 4.88 Ring and Pinion with Koyo Master Kit, Spartan Locker, Cryo treated the gears and bearings

Mudrak built my rear third with the 4.88s and Spartan for me I have that and a full face Marlin diff armor sitting on the bench to go in

I bought another Spartan and a used IFS front 3rd from ToyotaBoy on here with 4.88s I am going to install the Spartan myself and install both 3rds pretty soon

Flamethrower Bosch 4 hole upgraded injectors

Finally got to install the rear 3rd with 4.88s and Spartan locker I pulled the driveshaft and put in TG Creeper joint.

While the housing was empty I welded on Marlin Crawler full face diff armor

Painted it up

Extended the brake lines with braided stainless lines

On the truck

Got to swap the front diff for the 4.88 and Spartan
dropped the IFS axle out

Swapped it on my bench for easy working

Pressed out all of the bolts on the CV axles and turned off the knurling, made it so much easier to go back in
its nice to have a lathe!

1" diff drop that I also made on my lathe. I am currently working on a way to make it more than just rotating the diff down
but actually making it a true 1" drop.

Welded up this CBI plate winch bumper kit

Added on a Warn 8000lb winch.

Finally got back to the rocksliders after almost two years of sitting in the garage. I am pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Made a nice Cargo box for the back with 300lb drawer slides

Last edited by Yotard; 03-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice looking runner. The BJ spacer lift and wheels/tires made it look like a totally different vehicle.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM

Thanks! Yeah it really changed the look a lot. I am really happy with it so far. It has been a really fun project and I am not even close to done with it.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:48 PM

I finished the front differential today. I took the factory 4.88 diff that I bought, tore it down to the carrier. I then bored the non add carrier on my Bridgeport mill to accept the needle bearings for the add setup. I then added in the spartan locker and reassembled the diff. Ready for installation. Yotard's 95 4Runner Build-image-1823162711.jpg

Yotard's 95 4Runner Build-image-1610814721.jpg

Last edited by Yotard; 04-19-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotard
I finished the front differential today. I took the factory 4.88 diff that I bought, tore it down to the carrier. I then bored the non add carrier on my Bridgeport mill to accept the needle bearings for the add setup. I then added in the spartan locker and reassembled the diff. Ready for installation.
Great work. It's nice to have those tools to machine your own parts.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:22 AM

Flamethrower sent me some injectors to review, here is the thread

Last edited by Yotard; 05-12-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful rig! Wish my paint job looked that good! Keep it up.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:40 PM

I'm pulling the diffs tonight to swap in the 4.88 locked diffs. I'm replacing the Ujoints with Trail Gear creeper joints, welding on Marlin Crawler full face diff armor and replacing the rubber brake lines with extended braided stainless brake lines, 1" Diff drop and 1" sway bar drop as well. Good thing I have a 3 day weekend.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Updated pictures above with the work that I did this weekend. I was able to get through the rear 3rd member install with the new 4.88s and Spartan locker, welded in the Marlin Crawler full face diff armor, rebuilt the driveshaft with TG creeper joints, and extended the brake lines. I wasn't able to get to the front diff yet because my daughter came down with the stomach flu so I had to take care of the poor little thing. I was able to drive it yesterday and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The locker was only noticeable when I did a U-turn, other than that I could here it clicking every now and then but the 4.88s are the biggest improvement. The truck leaves a stop sign effortlessly now. I am in the break in process right now so I won't be wheeling it until I get passed the 500mi mark and change the oil. I am really happy with the way it is working so far and highly recommend doing it if you are on the fence.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM

Updated pictures above with the work that I did this weekend. I was able to get through the rear 3rd member install with the new 4.88s and Spartan locker, welded in the Marlin Crawler full face diff armor, rebuilt the driveshaft with TG creeper joints, and extended the brake lines. I wasn't able to get to the front diff yet because my daughter came down with the stomach flu so I had to take care of the poor little thing. I was able to drive it yesterday and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The locker was only noticeable when I did a U-turn, other than that I could here it clicking every now and then but the 4.88s are the biggest improvement. The truck leaves a stop sign effortlessly now. I am in the break in process right now so I won't be wheeling it until I get passed the 500mi mark and change the oil. I am really happy with the way it is working so far and highly recommend doing it if you are on the fence.
Very nice...so jealous.

Are you running any HD torsion bars?
What size wheels are your running and what is the back spacing?

Are you going to upgrade any of the bushing too?

Sweet!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Torsion bars are stock and are not cranked up, wheels are Eagle Alloys 15" Diameter 10" wide 3.625 Backspacing
Got energy suspension sway bar bushings ready to go in with the sway bar drop.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 AM

Torsion bars are stock and are not cranked up, wheels are Eagle Alloys 15" Diameter 10" wide 3.625 Backspacing
Got energy suspension sway bar bushings ready to go in with the sway bar drop.
Nice...very nice!!

I ran Bilsteins all around with HR rear springs, Downey Off Road Torsion bars and the front truss support. That T4R drove like a brick on the CA freeways and that drove my wife nuts. Had to put the stock torsion bars back in and stock shocks back in. Oh well, still somewhat lifted I guess.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 AM

what part of CA are you in?
Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM

I'm in the So Cal area....near Dodger Stadium.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:30 PM

Got to swap front diffs this weekend and updated the last 4 pictures with the changes I made. I can't wait to get out there and see what kind of improvements I get out of having a fully locked rig
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Look what showed up at my door! Trail gear sliders. Unfortunately I bought the 4Runner 58" length. Really TG you should be more specific, there are a lot fewer 1st gen 4Runners out there than 4 door ones, you shouldn't even label them 4Runner sliders you should just call them 58" sliders because then I would have measured my truck and ordered the 67" sliders. Yes, I do accept that I was an idiot for not measuring my truck but I saw 4Runner and thought it would fit. Well I bought a stick of DOM today and will cut and weld it in myself to make them 67" but seriously guys could you advertise more accurately please!!!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 PM

So my transmission decided to stop shifting on the way to work this week. OD light kept flashing so I pulled a code 63 #2 solenoid. Have a solenoid kit ordered to replace this weekend. I'm going to try aftermarket since the stealership wants 300 bucks for one solenoid. I was going to run signal peak trail this Saturday. Oh well.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Over-Heating uphill only on hot days

I have been chasing an overheating problem that is very strange, at least to me. 3.0 95 4Runner auto trans

I replaced the radiator 3 years ago about 15,000mi ago with a 3 row all metal. I flushed and changed the coolant, new thermostat and hoses non toyota.

Ever since then on very hot days and going up hill the temp will go up as long as the I am going up hill. I never let it get passed 2/3 way up. I can run the AC all day long on flat ground no problem, but try to go up a hill and I start to overheat on hot days 90 degrees plus. Running the heater slows a lot. Needle will just move above center rather than climbing 2/3 to red.

Last weekend I put in a toyota 82C 180F thermostat and flushed the coolant and put on a new radiator cap and put on an aisin fan clutch, yes the shroud is on it.

You are all going to start telling me head gasket right?

Well last night I ran a coolant hydro carbon test on the radiator and it bubbled for 5 min when the truck was warm and it never changed color.
Oil is clean, oil cap is clean, coolant is clean and not losing coolant.

Pressure tested the system holds pressure, cap is fine.

What test should I run now?

Last edited by Yotard; 08-01-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When was the water pump last changed?
What condition are the radiator hoses in?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Subscribed!
Sorry to hear about the engine troubles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yotard's 95 4Runner Build