Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Don't think I want to post up mods anymore....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends on how the kit was done IMO. Some are rotten & some are done well. I have seen some that I couldn't tell weren't stock, as long as they are shielded correctly I don't have a problem with them & I suffer from night blindness a bit. As a matter of fact I wish the U.S. would get real with the light regulations & allow drivers to see! LOL

I'm with the poster(s) who say they've been blinded by poorly aimed lights & lifted trucks many more times than HID lit vehicles. As a matter of fact I've been blinded by butt-holes that won't dim their lights even more than all the others combined!

I have to agree that as far as the forum goes, opinions should be posted as such & no offense should be intended or taken. Which is usually the case here, YT is pretty laid back in comparison to other vehicle forums.

Annnnd about what's legal & what's illegal; it's too in depth to worry about in a forum setting since local laws are too numerous & varied to consider & are just as legitimate as federal laws. Everything from bumper height, cab height, tire wear/size, exhaust length/sound, stereo volume & on & on & ON is covered differently depending on whatever little burg you call home. So in reality what is absolutely illegal in one place may be absolutely legal just down the road; hence the "what's legal & what's illegal is too in depth to worry about in a forum setting" comment from above.

I'm sure if everyones vehicle was inspected to the letter of the law (all of them); nearly everyone would have something illegal going on.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like tater tots.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Still feelin' the love in the room...
just a whole lotta love here...

a hunka hunka burnin' love

yeah...
Old 02-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Annnnd about what's legal & what's illegal; it's too in depth to worry about in a forum setting since local laws are too numerous & varied to consider & are just as legitimate as federal laws. Everything from bumper height, cab height, tire wear/size, exhaust length/sound, stereo volume & on & on & ON is covered differently depending on whatever little burg you call home. So in reality what is absolutely illegal in one place may be absolutely legal just down the road;
Yes, but if i were to do a mod write up, say large tires with no mud flaps and that were illegal in Oregon. I would hope that people would post about how it is illegal to do said mod in my state. Its not hard, just take a look at the state of the poster and if it is a state with a known law against said mod let them and the other members know that this mod is illegal in that state.

Yes others can still do the mod but i would want to know if I were going to get pulled over for a mod that I had so proudly shown to my fellow yotatech members.

Personal attacks however are not needed, you are stupid does not help anybody.

I think that that particular HID mod is illegal in your state would be a legitimate post.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 02-14-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 AM

my big tires blind drivers all over. whatcha gonna do about it?!?!??
Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
x2.... same here. i HAVE been hit by something flying out of someones bed... how do you think i got my stereo?
Did you catch it after it flew out of someones bed?

If so, you've got some mad skills
Old 02-14-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
toytech, dude i wouldnt care. i love your 4runner, and would kidnapp you and make you mod my truck with your skills if i could. lol, just post it up, and prove everyone wrong that its not so bright.

i think its the best of both worlds here.

i mean, everyone has been blinded by a huge truck with high-beam ish lights at one time or another. but i have also seen huge trucks right behind me and i cant even tell...
Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech76
After reading all of the attacks on Fo sheezy and his HID setup. I dont think I want to post up any pictures or write ups of any mods I will be doing. I think its rediculous that people act that way towards other people in here. I can understand people having strong opinions on the whole HID matter or any other matter. Everyone is talking about unsafe this and illegal that. Well I garuntee most everyone here has some sort of illegal mod whether it be tires too wide, no mud flaps or removing smog components. Any mod can be unsafe as well. If someone decides to straight axle their rig and use poor workmanship, isn't that just as unsafe? No one talks about anything else that can be unsafe or illegal so why bash the HID users? If you dont like them, express you don't like them or don't post and leave the member alone. There are plenty of things I see and hear that people do on here but im not gonna go off on them because of that. I'm all for helping someone do something to their rig or giving them advise about how to fix something, and most of the yotatech community is really good about that but the rest of the percentage that feels the need to hate on you for something they dont like or wouldnt do makes me not want to show people what I have done and how to do it. I expect to get flamed for this posting, but I thought everyone here needed a small dose of reality. I just hope that we as a forum group can learn and understand that we are all different, like different things, and all do the same kind of project differently. Can we all try??
^^^^^ I'm not trying to be a jerk, but holy cow dude. Use the "Enter" key once and a while. It makes things wayyyyyyyyy easier to read and comprehend.

Here you go:

Originally Posted by toytech76
After reading all of the attacks on Fo sheezy and his HID setup. I dont think I want to post up any pictures or write ups of any mods I will be doing. I think its rediculous that people act that way towards other people in here. I can understand people having strong opinions on the whole HID matter or any other matter.

Everyone is talking about unsafe this and illegal that. Well I garuntee most everyone here has some sort of illegal mod whether it be tires too wide, no mud flaps or removing smog components. Any mod can be unsafe as well. If someone decides to straight axle their rig and use poor workmanship, isn't that just as unsafe? No one talks about anything else that can be unsafe or illegal so why bash the HID users? If you dont like them, express you don't like them or don't post and leave the member alone.

There are plenty of things I see and hear that people do on here but im not gonna go off on them because of that. I'm all for helping someone do something to their rig or giving them advise about how to fix something, and most of the yotatech community is really good about that but the rest of the percentage that feels the need to hate on you for something they dont like or wouldnt do makes me not want to show people what I have done and how to do it.

I expect to get flamed for this posting, but I thought everyone here needed a small dose of reality. I just hope that we as a forum group can learn and understand that we are all different, like different things, and all do the same kind of project differently. Can we all try??
Much better huh?

Ok, on to me being a jerk:

That said, I do agree a little, but seriously, nobody should expect to post something like that on here and not get a little flack for it. Especially someone who has been on here for a while.

I don't recall anyone ever saying that these things are any worse than any other poorly done modification??? I don't think that anyone said "those things are dangerous, now I am going to drive around with half my lug nuts because that is safter than having an hid kit" Please, get real.

AxleIke has brought upplenty of valid points, and all that has been directed at him was "your tires are going to fall off and explode, and you are going to throw rocks into everyone windshields and cause homeless people to go blind, you're a jerk for picking on people and you probably hate dolphins too"

Actually I take that back. Now that I think about it, my ride home at night literally a mine field of flying tires and rocks flying at my windshield, and not a bunch of jackasses with $80 hid kits from China that are blinding me and everyone else on the road. How could I have been so stupid to have missed all those flying tires?

Please people, those things are illegal for a reason. That reason is because they are unsafe for other drivers on the road. That is all the point that we bullies are trying to get across. If that keeps one newb from doing this, then all is right with the world and we are victorious!!!

PS, anyone looking for info, look into the hidplanet forum. And if you are feeling froggy, then post your "hid" kit over there.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 4Mogger
Lights are the one thing that is not a personal preference. Everyone gets to enjoy those stray lumens! It is illegal because it is supremely dangerous. Ask yourself when you would most want to NOT blind oncoming traffic! It is an imposition on others-- ie. NOT a personal choice. Not a matter of personal freedom of expression.
BTW. You should probably look into testosterone therapy. I am just sayin'.
This is a bit presumptous would you not say? Who is to say that a particular light setup is more unsafe than another? Let those who are charged with enforcement worry about what is illegal or incorrectly setup. Your reasoning is completely valid, I do understand however.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

hey boys and girls
I think after being discused in 3+ threads in the last two days alone (let alone many others previouly lol) we can safely say that people's positions and thoughts on the topic of HID lights has been well publicised and the topic truly beaten to death.

Lets move on to something new eh?...

And everybody don't be discouraged about posting your mods, some will say Wow Cool! , others will say EWWW ugly! , and some may rant about it . But it is your mod and reflects you and your "style"... who knows you may come up with the next big "thing" and then everyone will do it.

In the meantime a little constructive criticism is never a bad thing, there might be an easier way to achieve your goal. So be ready for it cause in this family we don't mind telling you what's on our minds lol...

Thanks to all the posters here for keeping this thread "legal" through all the spirited debate thus far. (makes a mod's life a lot easier)

Cheers and Happy Valentines's Day to all from

Aviator
aka Dr. Love
Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by linuxrunner
Yes, but if i were to do a mod write up, say large tires with no mud flaps and that were illegal in Oregon. I would hope that people would post about how it is illegal to do said mod in my state. Its not hard, just take a look at the state of the poster and if it is a state with a known law against said mod let them and the other members know that this mod is illegal in that state.

Yes others can still do the mod but i would want to know if I were going to get pulled over for a mod that I had so proudly shown to my fellow yotatech members.

Personal attacks however are not needed, you are stupid does not help anybody.

I think that that particular HID mod is illegal in your state would be a legitimate post.
Yes to most of that & no to some of the rest lol - For instance...in Oregon; there are many many many towns, cities, counties etc. So if one person says "it's illegal in Oregon" it leaves it open for another to post "but not in the city I live in. You're confusing local laws with state laws."

Then it becomes people quoting code section & verse & that's just not interesting unless you're into civil code, blue laws, state vs. district rights etc.

My point is that since this is an automotive & ORV related site it'd be better to just say nothing about legality unless it is asked about specifically by the OP because unless YotaTech is going to turn into an online law library it'd be impossible to cover every law for every jurisdiction.

Like this HID discussion; I was told by a person who knows a little about the law & is an automotive enthusiast when I thought about upgrading last year that HID's are legal in some forms here in the U.S. (OEM specifically) & that there is wiggle room for after market makers because of that but it just hasn't been pushed by the folks with the money for a definitive "Yes this is legal & no this is not" ruling by a court. The legality of the units are 100% guided by individual law enforcements interpretation of the federal D.O.T. code & that the D.O.T. code is very vague & would be easy to challenge either way (for OR against).
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Yes to most of that & no to some of the rest lol - For instance...in Oregon; there are many many many towns, cities, counties etc. So if one person says "it's illegal in Oregon" it leaves it open for another to post "but not in the city I live in. You're confusing local laws with state laws."

Then it becomes people quoting code section & verse & that's just not interesting unless you're into civil code, blue laws, state vs. district rights etc.

My point is that since this is an automotive & ORV related site it'd be better to just say nothing about legality unless it is asked about specifically by the OP because unless YotaTech is going to turn into an online law library it'd be impossible to cover every law for every jurisdiction.

Like this HID discussion; I was told by a person who knows a little about the law & is an automotive enthusiast when I thought about upgrading last year that HID's are legal in some forms here in the U.S. (OEM specifically) & that there is wiggle room for after market makers because of that but it just hasn't been pushed by the folks with the money for a definitive "Yes this is legal & no this is not" ruling by a court. The legality of the units are 100% guided by individual law enforcements interpretation of the federal D.O.T. code & that the D.O.T. code is very vague & would be easy to challenge either way (for OR against).
This guy know his stuff!

Hey I think that everyone that does not like other people's lights should not drive at night. If you didn't drive at night I wouldn't have to listen to everybody complain. Stare at the line on the road and get over it! Chances are most of the 4Runners on this page you will never see in person anyway, but you take the time to tell them they should get a ticket. huh, how old are you guys a hundred?

Cool lights! I'm not going to get any, but they sure look cool on yours.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
toytech, dude i wouldnt care. i love your 4runner, and would kidnapp you and make you mod my truck with your skills if i could. lol
HA! I think my wife might have something to say about that. lol I would actually like to help other people mod their trucks
Old 02-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

I kinda like HID, but that's just me. I don't like it when people don't have the courtesy to dim them at night time.

But reguardless... every one is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 PM

ooooooohhhh......this is a juicy thread indeed......
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 AM

Seriously, though, the key is to realize that this is the internet. Grow some thicker skin and just roll with it. FoSheez even said in his own thread he's okay with any comment--good or bad. I do not apologize about what I said, and I will continue to voice MY OPINION. And I definitely won't sugar-coat it.

Last edited by cackalak han; 02-15-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 AM

i actually get blinded by every car that passes me at night i guess because my eyes are sensitive to light at night. So i look at the line on the passenger side of my truck when a car is passing me. however, if a guy is a big ass and doesnt dim his hi-beams then i jam mine on til we pass each other; )
Old 02-15-2008, 09:12 AM

Lets just all go back to:

IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY IT!!!!!!!!

geeze

Dont worry I got my fair share of people ripping me for my hid's
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

hilarious. i think those that get sand in their mangina about those with HID's proclaiming how unsafe it is for them, should do something a bit more effective than whining like a baby about it on the interweb.

if it bothers you all so much, why not talk to those that make the rules in your state? the motor vehicle law makers are the ones that should be hearing the "waa i cant see, waah waah"

not sure about the states, but when i was training to get my drivers license, my book said if im blinded by oncoming traffic, to look down and away at a reference point of vehicle & road, such as the PS hood/fenderline of your vehicle and not directly into the light. uh...really? dont look into the light? you dont say...
i'll beam em with my highbeams & IPF's if their highbeams are on. other than that...suck it up buttercup.

oh...and if theres someone behind you with lights you dont like, you can either:

a) let them pass you (that is if you can let your ego allow that)
b) flip down your rear view mirror so that it reduces the reflection. yes..that feature DOES serve a purpose!

anyway...
Old 02-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

I'm with Sonny. There are far more important things to get your chonies in a bunch over.

I don't like HID's personally since I have eyes that are sensitive to light. But I also like having extra light on my truck when I need it, too. I see both sides.

That said, I think this thread has run it's useful course.

Quick Reply: Don't think I want to post up mods anymore....