95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Custom vs Borla

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Custom vs Borla

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and don't know if this topic is brought up every few days, or it is actually a good question. I just came from the volvo family, where the aftermarket world is... well... just getting started... There is basicly one supplier of aftermarket volvo products that is established and so there was really no choice in what to get, nor competition to keep prices down. anyway... my point is that I had to pay $875 for a cat back SS exhaust :rolleyes: now my question is this... does anyone have the borla exhaust? Could you tell a difference (power wise) after installing it? Do you think it is worth the extra money, or would a $150 custom job do the trick? Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried a side exit exhaust when doing a custom rig? I was looking down there, and it didn't seem like it would be too hard (depending on how long the silencer was) let me know what you guys think...
Old 06-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go for the custom job.

Here is mine:

More pictures on my 4runner site in the pics & vids section. You can also listen to it there as well.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Talking wow

I love the dual outlet!! The tips look really good too!! Too bad you couln't get it to work. You shoul get the attachment for your roof rack that allows to keep the spare on the roof, then you can make it a real dual exhaust! I like the idea of a completely different look that you don't see often. One of those being dual and the other being side exit. I love your Runner though lots of well thought out, cool doityourslefers.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:44 AM
Contributing Member

I've got a Borla coming in the mail. Be looking for a post soon or a write up on how it turns out.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:04 AM

Turbo, this is a hot topic as of late. The general consensus is that custom is the way to go. The thing is, Borla is a "big" name company, thus they charge the "big" name price for it, even if it is SS. I just got a custom exhaust put on and am using a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler with 2-1/4" Aluminized tubing and I love it. The borla I am assuming uses a free-flowing muffler and that is what the Dynomax muffler is as well. There are several people here who use it, as well as Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Vortex and many others. I personally would recommend a custom exhaust. Mine w/ the muffler and tubing, and installation totalled $200. Really cheap and I absolutely love it! It is great! So, I guess what I am trying to say is it is personal preference, but you are going to save ALOT of money and get the same result if you go w/ custom exhaust! :beaver:
Old 06-21-2002, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

ok, I think you have me convinced... but UKMyers, I am eager to see (and possibly hear) the difference in the borla. The only thing that hasn't been brought up is the fact that borla has a life time warrenty. The only problem is that you can buy 3 custom exhausts for the price of one borla, so there goes that bennifit. Philly, I was the same way with my old 850. I don't think there will be any other sound like that 5cyl. It wasn't any better than the other setup (i think all engines sound good (except for fart cans)), It was just so eunique a sound. Not a rumble, and not a bee, in the middle...
Old 06-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Turbo I too would of gone custom but here in the UK especially out here in BFE I cant just run down to meinike or Midas and have my an exhaust fabbed up and even if I could it would cost me a fortune since everything is 10 times more expensive here than the US. But with the borla I can bolt it on in my driveway. I mostly bought it for the convienence. Plus I heard good things about them too!
Old 06-21-2002, 01:31 PM

Turbo, I see that you are from NC. The thing with the SS kit is that it is great for not rusting. Here in PA, we get snow and salt gets put on the road. That is the number 1 thing that rusts the exhaust tubing. I am assuming you don't get much snow and not much salt also, so I would see no reason why you would want to get an SS system, because it is of no benefit...if you get what I am going at. The Dynomax has a lifetime warranty and the tubing is the least expensive thing there is if you would have to change. I am in PA, and I don't think I will ever have to get new tubing. Just a thought...:beaver: