Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cold Starting Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Starting Woes

There has been a couple of things that nag me with my 1981 22r 4x4 that I will need to work on at some point in the near future and I wanted to see if anyone had issues with the following.

First off, the truck cranks for a while before it actually starts up. This is often prevented by pumping the gas pedal about 4 or 5 times prior to turning the ignition, then, the fast idle doesn't seem to kick in and I have to hold the pedal slightly down at times to keep it from stalling. This started when I replaced the fuel filter for the first time in probably 15 years. I am thinking something is up with the carb and/or choke. From what the Haynes manual tells me I have narrowed it down to this.

Also, at cold start and until it warms up, while I drive it cold, it sounds horrible when I accelerate. It kind of sounds like a repetitive sound that gets faster as I speed up, and mainly in first gear. As soon as I warm up, it goes away. I refered to the Haynes manual but it was vague. Said something about either a bad crankshaft or bad seals and something else about pistons, I can't remember at this point. Does anyone know what could possibly be going on here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beachbrum
There has been a couple of things that nag me with my 1981 22r 4x4 that I will need to work on at some point in the near future and I wanted to see if anyone had issues with the following.

First off, the truck cranks for a while before it actually starts up. This is often prevented by pumping the gas pedal about 4 or 5 times prior to turning the ignition, then, the fast idle doesn't seem to kick in and I have to hold the pedal slightly down at times to keep it from stalling. This started when I replaced the fuel filter for the first time in probably 15 years. I am thinking something is up with the carb and/or choke. From what the Haynes manual tells me I have narrowed it down to this.

Also, at cold start and until it warms up, while I drive it cold, it sounds horrible when I accelerate. It kind of sounds like a repetitive sound that gets faster as I speed up, and mainly in first gear. As soon as I warm up, it goes away. I refered to the Haynes manual but it was vague. Said something about either a bad crankshaft or bad seals and something else about pistons, I can't remember at this point. Does anyone know what could possibly be going on here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Wowee! Do you set your choke before starting? Meaning: Put your foot to the floor to set the choke and then start? A rebuild isn't out of the question for that carb! Especially since you didn't change the FF for 15 years!
Most likely your AAP diaphram!
Next, when's the last you changed your oil? How many miles you have on this? How about your t-chain? has that been replaced in 15 years?
You might have a blocked oil passage or worse....!

Good Luck Man!
* Harry *
Old 08-21-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nunsa
Wowee! Do you set your choke before starting? Meaning: Put your foot to the floor to set the choke and then start? A rebuild isn't out of the question for that carb! Especially since you didn't change the FF for 15 years!
Most likely your AAP diaphram!
Next, when's the last you changed your oil? How many miles you have on this? How about your t-chain? has that been replaced in 15 years?
You might have a blocked oil passage or worse....!

Good Luck Man!
* Harry *
Before starting, I do exactly as you say in order to start the choke, it just does not seem to engage. It just seems that the more times I pump the gas pedal prior to starting the easier it is to start.

Oil has been changed prior to this really becoming an issue. The truck has 145000 miles on it, it is an 81. Timing chain has never been replaced, from what I can tell, it seems okay, but it probably would not hurt. What kind of symptoms would I look for to know the timing chain is bad?

My dad owned the truck since new up until a few months ago and he gave it to me. He changed the oil regularly but the truck never went on any long or strenuous trips until I took it over. I have since replaced the radiator, hoses, waterpump, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, oil. Once warm, it runs awesome, it's just when cold that I have these concerns.