Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Boost Dynos

Old 06-21-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Dynos

does anyone have any turbo or superchaged 3.4L dynos?

please post setups and whatnot.

also why dont we see more people with turbo. i assume ease of install for the 5vz TRD charger?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dfoxengr
does anyone have any turbo or superchaged 3.4L dynos?

please post setups and whatnot.

also why dont we see more people with turbo. i assume ease of install for the 5vz TRD charger?
There are quite a few 3.4L S/C'd dyno runs on YT.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/another-dyno-run-69945/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/300-rwhp-trd-s-c-barrier-broken-63604/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/very-impressive-dyno-run-48934/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/urd-install-finished-results-80739/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-dyno-numbers-track-times-61635/
http://www.gadgetonline.com/4Run.htm

There are many more if you search the threads.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:04 PM

Yeup... and cost, and more tuning issues with the higher boost, and no 2 turbo systems are alike on these trucks, and turbos in the dirt are "interesting".

Turbos are getting more popular, but on street trucks. Are you on CustomTacos.com? It's mostly a street crowd and there are a LOT of turbo systems over there.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:47 PM

no im not on there but ive been browsing.

what do you mean interesting?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:00 PM

no im not on there but ive been browsing.

what do you mean interesting?
"Interesting" in the sense that by nature, the turbo itself gets real hot - that can be an issue depending on where it's mounted.

Some of the earlier attempts put the turbo way low to get it out of the engine compartment. That creates an issue when doing water crossings or someone's running around trying to get a recovery cable on you, or you're trying to dig yourself out of the mud.

The other thing is that generally having fun in the dirt requires low end torque right _now_, and low on the tach. Often times you want a good amount of torque to show up below 2500 RPM, preferably at 2000-2200 or so.

I know that there are lighter, smaller, and higher speed units out these days, and as such, the low end torque thing is getting to be less of an issue. That's why they're starting to show up more...

Of course for max performance you want to run an intercooler. THAT can be a huge issue on a truck that's been rigged for off-road and yet still street legal. The space that you would "normally" put an intercooler is usually eaten up by a tranny cooler, sometimes a power steering cooler, or an electric fan system.

Many people want to run body lifts, and that causes issues with things like relocating the radiator up from it's normal mounts, which again starts eating into space that you'd normally put a cooler.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:11 PM

right smaller IC cores can be found though, and mounting the turbo where the stock intake is wouldnt be so bad.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:12 PM

also i believe i could do the turbo setup im thinking for less than the SC.

SC would consist of it, and headers

Turbo would be it, manifolds made by me=cheap, oil lines, some piping and BOV/WG.

both run on similar if not the same management.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:17 PM

right smaller IC cores can be found though, and mounting the turbo where the stock intake is wouldnt be so bad.
Right, but those are somewhat recent developments in the turbo world, which is why the off-road guys are still in S/C land.

And there's still the "every install is custom" issue (a lot of the off-roaders are bolt-on only guys); and custom = $$$; and the intercooler location; and the tradeoff of tuning at the higher WOT boost versus being able to idle...

The street world has woken up the past year or so and thus the market is getting bigger which means more engineers are looking at making a turbo system better which means new designs are coming out which solves old problems which makes more people interested whcih lets more people sell systems which creates competition on the market which reduces prices while breeding more engineering which...

It's happening, but it's not really here just yet.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:20 PM

also i believe i could do the turbo setup im thinking for less than the SC.

SC would consist of it, and headers

Turbo would be it, manifolds made by me=cheap, oil lines, some piping and BOV/WG.

both run on similar if not the same management.
There's an old thread laying around here, I'd have to guess from early 2005(?) where someone came forward and said... "Hey, would you guys like a turbo system for under $3000 including management and it'll get you more power than your S/C yet have really quick spool times?".

I think the thread got flooded with people in under 3 minutes.

It'd be awesome if you could do it. The market's here for it, but there's nothing here to choose from right now.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:31 PM

and engineering is what i do, and the street car world is where i came from...err am still. splitting both down the middle, lol. whichever of my cars runs i drive :-)

so ill look into it, research, and see what i come up with.
the purpose for the dyno is to see the torque curves of whatever turbo, and compare with the TRD.

i doubt ill ever sell a "kit" but you have me thinking now. i should expand my website to 4x4. maybe keep an eye out.

-derek
Old 06-21-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
There's an old thread laying around here, I'd have to guess from early 2005(?) where someone came forward and said... "Hey, would you guys like a turbo system for under $3000 including management and it'll get you more power than your S/C yet have really quick spool times?".

I think the thread got flooded with people in under 3 minutes.

It'd be awesome if you could do it. The market's here for it, but there's nothing here to choose from right now.
My 4runner is currently having a turbo system installed by a shop in the greater Seattle area by the name of SpeedFactory. My runner is being used for measurments and test fitting to develop a user-installable kit including everything you need minus the fueling (which can be purchased through URD). We are almost done too - it is up and running but needs to have a good road tune done yet, some powder coating and final clean up. Dyno day for the project may be happening this saturday and I will be sure to post up the results and build pics as soon as i get the go ahead. The quality of work by SpeedFactory has been excellent and the URD turbo port fueler is awesome so i am hoping for some good results. Soon after, SpeedFactory will have the kit available for all 3.4L tacos and runners on his website www.speedfactoryonline.com Stay Tuned!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 04:47 PM

and engineering is what i do, and the street car world is where i came from...err am still. splitting both down the middle, lol. whichever of my cars runs i drive :-)

so ill look into it, research, and see what i come up with.
the purpose for the dyno is to see the torque curves of whatever turbo, and compare with the TRD.

i doubt ill ever sell a "kit" but you have me thinking now. i should expand my website to 4x4. maybe keep an eye out.

-derek
Yeup... I knew your background from other threads. I was just overstating that a street solution isn't an off-road solution.

Gregg (Greedy, who's just above here) is heading for a dyno this weekend or next, he's got THE current KILLER turbo system going into his truck.

I'll be on the same dyno possibly the 2nd week of July. I need to get tranny work done, and that's currently slated to start July 8th when my son gets out here from Chicago. I'm gonna let HIM get a pan full of ATF down his back!

Gregg... I've pointed Derek to your install before. The issue with it (I think) will still be one of what happens with low RPM torque and in the dirt. Maybe not, it'd be awesome to see work out for both venues.

Where'd Ricky end up putting the intercooler?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Yeup... I knew your background from other threads. I was just overstating that a street solution isn't an off-road solution.

Gregg (Greedy, who's just above here) is heading for a dyno this weekend or next, he's got THE current KILLER turbo system going into his truck.

I'll be on the same dyno possibly the 2nd week of July. I need to get tranny work done, and that's currently slated to start July 8th when my son gets out here from Chicago. I'm gonna let HIM get a pan full of ATF down his back!

Gregg... I've pointed Derek to your install before. The issue with it (I think) will still be one of what happens with low RPM torque and in the dirt. Maybe not, it'd be awesome to see work out for both venues.

Where'd Ricky end up putting the intercooler?
Yeah - i hear ya about the low rpm range. That's why i decided that I will run with it as mostly a street queen till blow something up. Then I will go back to N/A and get a solid front axle underneath and go wheelin with her The intercooler is located right behind the opening in the valence where the licence plate goes. I am going to just bolt up the licencse plate to the bottom two holes with some spacers to clear the 99+ fat lip if that makes any sense. I'll let you know if we make it by this saturday - let me know when you'll be next door and i will come and meet you and your rig!!
Old 06-21-2006, 05:45 PM

yeah i just saw and ive been following that huge thread on CT. post the results here if you can.
whats the complete setup?

-derek