Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

battery power drain and electrical question

Old 03-27-2004, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question battery power drain and electrical question

So I have a small amp that runs my sub. I checked things out tonight and noticed approximately a 0.07 volt draw on my battery coming from the amp with the truck turned off. I have been pulling the fuse out of the power line that feeds the amp to prevent complete discharge of the battery (which happened before and totally killed a battery beyond all belief). This has been bearable b/c the truck is no longer my DD. However, the power line that feeds my amp also runs my aux fuse box that powers my locker, driving lights, etc...

I have been thinking about installing a switch in the cab that would cut power to the amp. Basically taking the power wire, cutting it in half and adding a switch in-line.

So my question is: Do I need a switch rated at more or less amps than the fuse on the power wire just after the battery (25amp)? I was thinking of getting around a 30 amp switch. And would I need a fuse before/after the swtich or at all? There are fuses on this line just after the battery and in the amp itself...

Anyway thoughts and comments are requested!

Tom
Old 03-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Your amp should have a power turn on lead. It sounds like that's wired to an always-on source. If it's wired to an ignition only source, the amp can not turn on unless the key is on. Also, if you have an aftermarket stereo there should be a power turn on lead built into it (blue wire).

Check that wire out. I'm certain it's your problem.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

If the amp does not have the facility as mentioned above, I would suggest putting in a relay on the amp power line (just before the amp so nothing else is influenced). Have the relay switch on from any line when your ignition is turned to acc. This way you have no switch which you will forget to turn off after using it. It will turn on and off automatic. Most modern amps however has this feature built in, as gapguy has pointed out.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
If the amp does not have the facility as mentioned above, I would suggest putting in a relay on the amp power line (just before the amp so nothing else is influenced). Have the relay switch on from any line when your ignition is turned to acc. This way you have no switch which you will forget to turn off after using it. It will turn on and off automatic. Most modern amps however has this feature built in, as gapguy has pointed out.
I'm wondering what kind of wiring is being used. I can't see 8GA wire being attached to a relay safely. Although, I dont know a lot about relays, so maybe it can indeed be done.

Let us know how old this amp is, model etc....

Good Luck!!
Old 03-28-2004, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by gapguy
I'm wondering what kind of wiring is being used. I can't see 8GA wire being attached to a relay safely. Although, I dont know a lot about relays, so maybe it can indeed be done.

Let us know how old this amp is, model etc....

Good Luck!!

Thanks for the replys. The amp is a Profile California "jam" amp as I remember. Maybe I should read the manual now that I think about it... A friend of mine helped me install it and at the time he knew a lot more about stereos and such.

I'll try seeing where the "turn on" wire is hooked up to at the radio wire harness.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

It should be a BLUE wire straight off of the reciever's harness. It may or may not be marked. Sometimes has a connector on it.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gapguy
It should be a BLUE wire straight off of the reciever's harness. It may or may not be marked. Sometimes has a connector on it.

no...it should be a blue/white wire, the solid blue is a power antenna wire only.

T
Old 03-29-2004, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Duffdog
no...it should be a blue/white wire, the solid blue is a power antenna wire only.

T
Good post! Correct EIA Standard is for a Blue/White wire for the turn on lead. Mine however, has a solid blue wire marked "TURN ON". The power antenna wire I am unsure of the coloring.

Quite often, the turn on lead already has a spade connector on the end already.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:45 PM

If for whatever reason the battery does get drained. About how long does it take of normal driving to recharge it? Lets say I jumped my runner and drove it for 30 minutes. Should that be enough time to turn the engine over?
Old 10-04-2006, 05:49 PM

The blue wire is normally the wire that makes your ant. go up and down with the radio on am or fm, and the blue white is on as long as the radio is turned on, with cd or radio, but it does change alittle with manufacturer. There are a few large amp relays out there, many of them are in the car audio industry, most audio stores can get them. They can be a little pricey but work well. I think that you can also use a ford starter relay in the same way, most have a positve side a load side and a positve trigger, to trigger the relay.