Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AndyMod 2.0. ABS Remains Active.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool AndyMod 2.0. ABS Remains Active.

I’m putting this updated information out there to better reach the masses. YT member aowRS created the AndyMod. YT member Beto recently discovered an update to it; Thus, I'm passing that updated information along. Beto also created his own version of the AndyMod, better known as the “Bagel Mod”. (For more information on that mod, view his thread here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/n...switch-195040/.)

In this 2nd version of the AndyMod, ABS remains active. Granted, you will still have to kill the engine to regain VSC & TRAC just as before, but the good news is, ABS remains active throughout the entire process (it was disabled in the 1st version). Plus, there’s no need to run a pair of wires thru the firewall as previously done. All the connections are now made under the dash. You decide which version of the Andymod you prefer.

Here's a link to the original AndyMod: Click Me

AndyMod 2.0:

Locate the VSC computer under the dash near the driver’s kick panel. The connector you are interested in is the 2nd one from the top (V18). Pull this connector out and locate Terminal V18-3. It’s a Red wire with Black Tracer. (EDIT: Note that the pin diagram below is as you look at the back of the connector - where the wires go into the connector.) Thanks Beto for the photo.

Skid Control (VSC) ECU Under Dash:

Name:  VSC-ECU.jpg
Views: 15758
Size:  30.7 KB

I cut this red wire with black tracer and crimped a pair of new wiring to the cut ends. (Feel free to solder these connections if you'd rather):

Name:  Photo1.jpg
Views: 13429
Size:  77.5 KB

Ran the pair of wires up to my dash mounted fog light switch:

Name:  Photo2.jpg
Views: 13417
Size:  48.2 KB

Fog Light Switch Installed (on the right). Toyota switch Part#: PT297-89013-SW:

Name:  Photo3.jpg
Views: 13522
Size:  129.4 KB

TRAC ON/OFF Decal Added:

Name:  Photo4.jpg
Views: 13078
Size:  103.2 KB

I purchased the above decal from YT member Justdoitmikey. For more information on these decals, visit his thread here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...ticker-162624/

Once the switch is installed, you’re done. Simply activate the switch in either 2WD or 4WD with the vehicle on or off. Wait a few seconds and you’ll notice both the VSC and TRAC OFF lights appear to let you know they have been disabled. Flip the toggle switch back and restart your vehicle to regain VSC and TRAC.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 12-19-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Now we need to figure out how to be able to switch ABS on and off via a dash mounted switch. That is on vehicles that are pre-VSC.
The following users liked this post:
claus (11-22-2019)
Old 02-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Bill,
Fantastic findings! I may add this functionality and then have two switches, depending on conditions.

I'm continually amazed at how useful the original AndyMod is - with our deep snow the other week I found myself constantly defeating the systems in order to power through stuff that the TRAC/VSC would have frowned upon.

Here is my old switch - still holding up great:

Name:  Newswitch1.jpg
Views: 13308
Size:  49.0 KB

Andreas (the 'Andy' in AndyMod)

Last edited by aowRS; 02-16-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in laymens terms please.. what does this do for the driver and what is the point?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM

At times, the TRAC system just gets in the way. ie, when pulling away from a stop light on a snowy road, trac system kicks in and stops you in the tracks, while with the system off, you can just power through.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM

when did Toyota start putting these features on the 4Runners and what do the other models have that are similar?

Last edited by JWaldz; 02-16-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 AM

Nice Mod 2.0 I'll see if my wife wants its on the truck, but I wouldn't mind especially if ABS is still working.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 AM

Nice to see someone put together the documentation for the "Bagel mod light". The full mod as I have done it takes some dedication and there are multiple relays involved.

Since I have both options (VSC On/Off on the fly, and VSC and TRAC off, with restart required) in my truck I can tell you with certainty that the VSC is the annoying one that stops you dead in your tracks, TRAC isn't really all that bad, in fact it seems to actually help at times.

The VSC is the one that uses a Yaw sensor and other sensors to determine if the vehicle is sliding (this often doesn't work properly causing the nuisances we all hate so much) and then brakes individual wheels and de-throttles the engine to regain control.

TRAC is the one that brakes the spinning wheel on an axle to transfer torque to the other wheel - kind of an electric POSI; it works not badly, but the constant purring of the brake actuator can get annoying.

In other terms: you probably want both off in order to pull donuts in the snow, but the TRAC system doesn't prevent donuts, where the VSC will.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 AM

Awesome find Rock Slide, thanks for posting this. I'll be doing this after classes are over this week. Now I'll feel more comfortable while using the Andymod (2.0, that is) in dry conditions
Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM

Theres has got to be a way to make the truck think the CD is locked and be able to switch on the fly. but i may be doing thing, it looks real sweet.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 02_Limited
Awesome find Rock Slide, thanks for posting this. I'll be doing this after classes are over this week. Now I'll feel more comfortable while using the Andymod (2.0, that is) in dry conditions
I agree. I didn't feel comfortable either driving in dry conditions w/o abs. Now I am.

Originally Posted by Beto
Nice to see someone put together the documentation for the "Bagel mod light". The full mod as I have done it takes some dedication and there are multiple relays involved.

Since I have both options (VSC On/Off on the fly, and VSC and TRAC off, with restart required) in my truck I can tell you with certainty that the VSC is the annoying one that stops you dead in your tracks, TRAC isn't really all that bad, in fact it seems to actually help at times.

The VSC is the one that uses a Yaw sensor and other sensors to determine if the vehicle is sliding (this often doesn't work properly causing the nuisances we all hate so much) and then brakes individual wheels and de-throttles the engine to regain control.

TRAC is the one that brakes the spinning wheel on an axle to transfer torque to the other wheel - kind of an electric POSI; it works not badly, but the constant purring of the brake actuator can get annoying.

In other terms: you probably want both off in order to pull donuts in the snow, but the TRAC system doesn't prevent donuts, where the VSC will.
Thanks. I felt the info needed a write up. I would like to put something together to add to the Tech Section too. Oh and thanks for doing the research to find it.

And I agree, TRAC isn't all that bad. It's VSC that makes me want to drive my 4Runner straight into a brick wall...

LOL, bagel mod light. I like it. Good one.

Originally Posted by Gerdo
Now we need to figure out how to be able to switch ABS on and off via a dash mounted switch. That is on vehicles that are pre-VSC.
Looks like you're in luck. Saw this on t4r.org: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-3rd-gens.html

Last edited by Rock Slide; 02-18-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM

The writeup on the bagel mod has a small section at the front describing the bagel mod light, but no step by step as you have done. I started making a web site.

** edit ** removed outdated link (no longer running)

Last edited by Beto; 12-11-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 PM

beto you are amazing. This is exactly what ive been waiting for, ive been staring at the wiring diagrams trying to figure out how to do this and i didnt get very far. excellent work, i will be updating my andy mod very soon.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 AM

Wait, isn't the TRAC system controlled by the brakes which is responsible for cutting power to the wheels? And VSC is what keeps you from under-steering (going sideways when unplanned also) which is accompanied by that beeping? I was under the impression that the TRAC system was the system in question when it came to cutting power. Or maybe I can't get past that TRAC reminds me of traction control and wheelspin from a stand still (isn't it supposed to?) and VSC is responsible for keeping the truck straight while it's already in motion?

Anyways, I'm about to go rip out my old Micro DE wiring and switch to make room for the Andymod 2.0 switch and wiring
Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by 02_Limited
Wait, isn't the TRAC system controlled by the brakes which is responsible for cutting power to the wheels? And VSC is what keeps you from under-steering (going sideways when unplanned also) which is accompanied by that beeping? I was under the impression that the TRAC system was the system in question when it came to cutting power. Or maybe I can't get past that TRAC reminds me of traction control and wheelspin from a stand still (isn't it supposed to?) and VSC is responsible for keeping the truck straight while it's already in motion?
This was a huge source of confusion for me when developing the mod in the first place, and it remains confusing to the masses who haven't experienced TRAC without VSC, yet. Even worse, the "beeping" from the VSC only happens during a relatively severe slide where at least one fishtail is going to happen. The VSC takes away throttle without beeping in minor situations making us think that it's not the VSC, but TRAC. Maybe it beeps only when it is going to brake the wheels as well as de-throttle? I'm not really sure.

This confusion is the reason why when I was trying to figure out how to do the mod I called the thread "A real TRAC-OFF switch" instead of "VSC-OFF switch".

I have the option of turning off VSC while leaving TRAC on (I use this most of the time) or also turning off TRAC.

TRAC applies brakes, true - in a round-about way I guess this cuts power - but it only applies brakes to a slipping wheel on a single axle, it doesn't seem to care if the truck is in a 4 wheel drift at the time, it only brakes the wheel that is slipping in relation to the other wheel on the same axle. It does not take away throttle under any circumstance. That's why I liken it to POSI.

VSC applies brakes to individual wheels to control a slide (lateral movement)- most noticeably it brakes the front wheel on the outside of the skid when you try to drift around a corner (the front wheel that the back end is trying to slide around - so turning left, back end kicks out to the right, right front wheel is braked). It will then brake the opposite (left hand wheel in my example) when the back end fishtails back the other way. It does all of this while de-throttling the engine. I'm sure it's also doing something to the rear brakes to keep the back end "anchored", it's just too difficult to "feel" what it's doing. The front wheel braking is really obvious.

You can try this on an unmodified vehicle by using 4hi with the center diff locked - this disables VSC but leaves TRAC active. Now find somewhere slippery enough to get a good 4 wheel accelerating drift going, also floor it from a stop and you'll hear the TRAC doing its thing and the little yellow "car sliding" light flashes. At no time will it actually remove throttle on you. Much more obvious in 2WD, but you'll get the idea.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 AM

hey I'm having trouble here...are you sure that the diagrams are looking at the face of the connector, because my red/Black wire is in spot 3 when you look at the back of the connector where the wires insert, and also the notches on the connector line up to the pic when you look at it from the back but not the front...am I still looking at the correct wire?

EDIT:
I went with the Red wire with Black tracer and everything works as it should, but note that those diagrams are actually looking at the back of the connector, where the wires are inserted

Last edited by LINY4Runner; 02-21-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by LINY4Runner
hey I'm having trouble here...are you sure that the diagrams are looking at the face of the connector, because my red/Black wire is in spot 3 when you look at the back of the connector where the wires insert, and also the notches on the connector line up to the pic when you look at it from the back but not the front...am I still looking at the correct wire?

EDIT:
I went with the Red wire with Black tracer and everything works as it should, but note that those diagrams are actually looking at the back of the connector, where the wires are inserted

I think you are right....I'm very sorry about that, but at least you followed the wire colors - they are right. The empty pins is a dead giveaway. I'll need to modify that PDF....

edit:
which mod did you do?

Last edited by Beto; 02-21-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Good eye Liny. I've since updated my original post to reflect the correction.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Old 03-18-2010, 02:52 PM

I did this mod today and something is wrong. Both switches are doing the same thing, im not sure what exactly would cause that. they are both causing the vsc light to trip then ~3s later the trac come on as well. What would cause that, I think everything is wired up correctly. spent a lot of time to follow the instructions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AndyMod 2.0. ABS Remains Active.