Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AndyMod 2.0. ABS Remains Active.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twitchee2
I did this mod today and something is wrong. Both switches are doing the same thing, im not sure what exactly would cause that. they are both causing the vsc light to trip then ~3s later the trac come on as well. What would cause that, I think everything is wired up correctly. spent a lot of time to follow the instructions
Did you use diodes? Did you follow the instructions in the "Bagel Mod" pdf?

Next likely candidate is K5 or K4 wiring. But really, that problem could be almost any of the wires. TRAC and VSC off is really easy, mess with (almost) any of those wires and it'll disable both. Turning VSC off ONLY, everything has to be perfect, you need to trick both the truck and VSC computers into thinking you are in 4WD.

If you can post more details, then maybe I can try to help more, but it is a HARD mod to do....

Last edited by Beto; 03-19-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 PM

I triple checked my wiring before i tested everything, i figured it out, turned out to be some bad relays. everything works as its supposed to now. i just need to get a new diode...broke the one i have right at the insulation. i found that you dont necessarily need to have the diode. flipping both switches does the same thing but i think its cooler to only have to flip one switch for the trac and vsc. thanks for all your hard work putting that write-up together made that job relatively easy. Im going to be taking a digital systems class next semester, should be getting into the fun stuff of circuit designs. Now if only toyota would use white for the +12 on the cig lighter....i had a choice between white or black, i chose white for the + side...ended up being ground. talk about frustrating.

Last edited by twitchee2; 03-18-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM

Glad you got 'er done. The two switches and the diode thing, you are right about, except if you DON'T (or forget to) flip switch 1 and flip only switch 2 it might sometimes turn off VSC and TRAC and other times do nothing depending what mode your transfer is in.

In my truck I have a 3 way toggle ON-OFF-ON - there is no way to select both switch 1 and switch 2, hence the need for the diode in my case. Up is VSC Off, middle is normal, down is VSC and TRAC off.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 PM

oh the 3way switch is a really good idea, im still havent mounted the switches yet, i might go get a different one tomorrow. again beto thanks for putting so much time into that.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 PM

just wanted to report back that this mod has worked flawlessly for, went on a run to test it out. I forgot you cant engage 4x4 when the vsc switch is on....truck already thinks its in 4x4 so it wont engage it haha. I personally like it much better then the andy mod, so just a bump for beto putting in so much time and effort to get this working. and hopefully it will be useful to others as well.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Maybe my reply got lost? If two show up, sorry about that.

About that 4WD shifting with the VSC Switch activated - Mine still goes in and out of 4WD as normal - are you sure about that happening on your truck?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM

im not 100% positive, could just been a coincidence that it just didnt want to engage, ill play around with it when i get a chance and see if it was just a one time thing.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:04 PM

I cannot engage 4x4 while VSC is off.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 AM

I just rechecked mine in case I missed it before.

I can confirm that with the VSC Disabled, my truck shifts in and out of 4Hi AWD mode, and the center diff can be locked and unlocked at will. I also checked the TRAC and VSC disable mode, same thing.

You might have one wire loose or going to a different spot than I do. Probably not worth the effort to track it down if you are happy with the way it's working - but that kind of thing would probably drive me crazy over the course of several weeks/months until I just HAD to find it.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:38 AM

yeah im not going to even bother to try and figure it out. you have a 02 right?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by twitchee2
yeah im not going to even bother to try and figure it out. you have a 02 right?
'02 - yes
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Beto- Where do I go to download the instructions that use diodes and relays? Where can I get the diodes and relays? Felt like driving my 4Runner into the nearest brick wall today because of the VSC activating in the snow. Wife almost got T-boned the other day because the VSC kicked in and she couldn't get out of the way fast enough in the snow. Just bought this 4Runner Sport Edition a week ago with 108,000 miles on it... in like new condition. Can't stand this VSC in the snow in Michigan. Great site and excellent info. Many Thanks!

Last edited by Parco; 02-03-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-05-2011, 03:30 PM

Parco,

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you the .pdf schematic. The mod will take some time and dedication to complete, but in my opinion well worth it.

The relays and stuff you'll have to find from an electronics retailer or maybe e-bay. You could also get stuff from websites like Mouser.com.

If you want an interim solution, pull the connector off of the master brake cylinder that the Andymod directs you to modify. Just leave it unconnected and your TRAC, VSC and ABS will all stay off.

Another interim solution: if you've got enough snow or slippery streets, lock in the center diff to use 4WD instead of AWD or 2WD, this turns off the VSC.

UPDATE on my truck:

The mod as I already described it works really well, but in my case I wanted to be able to use VSC in the snow, if I wanted to. The only problem with this is the tendency for it to prevent you from moving from a stop the odd time. I added another little circuit that uses the speed input to the dash cluster to turn the VSC off when under 10 km/hr and back on again when you get over 25 km/hr. This seems to work flawlessly, and I've never had the truck try and kill me since.

Now I have a few extra switches:
1st switch is a three way:
VSC ON (like stock),
VSC OFF (Disabled completely)
VSC AUTO (turns back on at +25km/hr)

2nd switch is a two way:
TRAC OFF (turns off VSC and TRAC)
TRAC ON (like stock)
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM

another mod to add to the growing list, lol
Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 AM

subscribed
Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the original AndyMod but after reading this I am definitely going to switch over to the AndyMod 2.0 because I really like the idea of keeping the ABS enabled since there is no reason to disable it.

On another note, I really like the TRAC On/Off sticker and I tried to click on the link to the thread but it didn't work...Does anyone know how to make these stickers? Or have a template or something that you can send me? Thanks in advance
Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4ever4running
I did the original AndyMod but after reading this I am definitely going to switch over to the AndyMod 2.0 because I really like the idea of keeping the ABS enabled since there is no reason to disable it.

On another note, I really like the TRAC On/Off sticker and I tried to click on the link to the thread but it didn't work...Does anyone know how to make these stickers? Or have a template or something that you can send me? Thanks in advance
Definitely. AM 2.0 is super easy to do.

The TRAC on/off decal should be fairly easy to make, but I'll PM you the seller's email addr I bought mine from. Shoot him an email and see if he still has any of them laying around.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Is VSC and TRAC directly linked to 4WD engaging?

Does the VSC and TRAC also affect how it engages into 4WD? My 4WD was working fine before, then I took it to NM and found myself in a situation that it wouldn't engage and my indicator light would just flash and almost was stuck in the mud. When I got back to Houston, it just started working. I just recently bought my 01 4Runner and I don't quite understand why there are 2 switches for the 4WD, the one on the shifter handle thats says 4WD and the other one to the left of the steering column that as a xfer case locked symbol. Can someone please clarify? I would definitely love to have a manual override switch that forces it into full 4WD whenever I want.

Tony
Old 05-12-2012, 11:09 AM

Is VSC and TRAC directly linked to 4WD engaging?

Does the VSC and TRAC also affect how it engages into 4WD? My 4WD was working fine before, then I took it to NM and found myself in a situation that it wouldn't engage and my indicator light would just flash and almost was stuck in the mud. When I got back to Houston, it just started working. I just recently bought my 01 4Runner and I don't quite understand why there are 2 switches for the 4WD, the one on the shifter handle thats says 4WD and the other one to the left of the steering column that as a xfer case locked symbol. Can someone please clarify? I would definitely love to have a manual override switch that forces it into full 4WD whenever I want.

Tony

Quick Reply: AndyMod 2.0. ABS Remains Active.