Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Improved ANDY MOD - Real TRAC OFF Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Improved ANDY MOD - Real TRAC OFF Switch

I was one of the lucky ones with a '98 tacoma and it was deemed to have a frame issue. Now I'm in an '02 4runner, and I've been working on the Andy Mod (which I've since come to call the "please don't kill me switch").

I didn't like so much having the ABS disabled, and the second issue is no way to re-enable VSC if you want to while the engine is running. I'm close to a real solution, a real "TRAC OFF" switch complete with rearm on-the-fly, but one small issue remains. I'm hoping someone can see what I'm missing and get this last issue for me.

First of all, the basic mod works better than the Andy mod in that it only disables VSC, not ABS along with it. If that's all you want, you only need to cut the red wire with black trace "EX1" on the VSC module (V18-3) under the dash near the driver's kick panel. Put a switch in to re-connect the two if you want VSC to function normally -- opening the switch causes the VSC computer to recognize a fault and disable itself until you turn the key off and on again. ABS function is still enabled.

Well, here is my idea and implementation – the idea is to convince the VSC that the transfer is in 4WD and the center diff is locked when it is in another state (either 2WD or 4WD, diff open). This will disable the VSC temporarily, and allow it to be re-enabled on the fly. I have found 3 relevant signals that are used by the VSC computer:
1)EXI (V18-3) – goes from 10-14V to below 2V when the center diff lock SWITCH is ON
2) EXI3 (V18-8) – goes from 10-14V to below 2V when the ADD switch is ON
3) CD (V18-24) goes from 10-14V to below 2V when the center diff lock INDICATOR is ON
I wired in three relays with the normally closed contacts connected to the original signal coming to the ECU, the common feeding the ECU and the normally open contacts connected to ground. The relays are all activated by the same toggle switch.
It works fine, except in 2WD mode. After about 5 seconds it also trips the VSC TRAC light, which means that the computer has faulted due to an unexpected input state, and you can’t re-enable it until the key is turned off and on again. Like I mentioned earlier, if all you want to do is fault the computer, there are simpler ways (just break EXI input for a few seconds, no relays, no fuss) and this would still leave your ABS functioning unlike the Andy Mod. In 4WD open diff mode, it works as expected – just the VSC OFF light comes on, and I can toggle it on and off as desired. I suspect that I’m missing another signal somewhere, or my ADD signal is not giving the ECU what it wants to see. I’m going to take it apart and verify all the signals again. If anyone can see another signal or can see what else I’m missing please post it.

When I get it working 100% I’ll write up the instructions for the mod. People can choose between the simpler Andy Mod and this more difficult but (I feel) more functional and cleaner mod.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beyond me... but I'm looking forward to the writeup if you are successful.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Subscribed to this. I'm no electrical guru but if you figure out a way to accomplish this, I'm all ears

Down w/ VSC!!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 PM

X2 on what 02_Limited said!
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM

At long last.. SUCCESS!!!

I needed to fake out the Engine ECU as well - it tells the VSC unit on you if you don't. So one more relay and one more wire to cut. So far, works perfectly. I went around for a short drive and tested all the modes - but I didn't find anything slippery to play in. I guess I will play in the mud (or maybe the snow) soon.

See the attached .PDF's for everything -- and the next post, it won't let me post the instructions, file size is too big. Someone probably needs to rewrite this to make more sense to people - feel free, or provide some feedback/questions and I'll modify it bit by bit. There are no pictures.

Interested in anyone else who does this mod, please post feedback.

I guess we need a name for this - to honor the original mod, and the inspiration for this one - the AndyMod MarkII seems fitting, but A.K.A. the Bagel Mod (It's kind of a story to explain that name, if anyone cares I'll elaborate in another post). Perhaps the "Andy Bagel Mod". If anyone else has a better idea - post it up.

See Attached... for ECU terminal pinouts, see next post for instructions.

Feedback please ....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ECM Terminals.pdf (35.4 KB, 1668 views)
File Type: pdf
Skid ECU Terminals.pdf (33.3 KB, 1366 views)

Last edited by Beto; 10-25-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:37 PM

INSTRUCTIONS.... formatting got up because I cant post a 74kB .pdf file. Sorry...

REMEMBER, THIS WAS DONE FOR AN '02 4RUNNER - I HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT COMPATIBILITY WITH OTHER YEARS YET....

This mod is probably not for beginners, you need to be comfortable with electrical wiring. Soldering is
almost a definite requirement and you need to understand the function of relays. Also, there is a real
risk of killing your ECU(s) if you do something wrong. That being said, on with the description…

OK, so you need to interact with 4 signals, 3 on the VSC computer, and one on the engine ECM. They
are as follows (I’ve also put the descriptions in if you care, but you don’t need to know this to do the
mod):

1) EXI on VSC computer ‐ Terminal V18‐3 – wire is Red with Black Tracer
This one gets a signal from the 4WD computer when the center differential lock switch
is ON. Unlocked, this line is close to 12V, locked it drops to near 0V; note that this is
only the selector switch, when the diff actually locks in it also trips “CD” below.

2) EXI3 on VSC computer – Terminal V18‐8 – wire is Black with Blue Tracer
This wire gets a signal from the 4WD computer that goes to the ADD actuator (ADD is
Automatic Differential Disconnect – basically this is your front differential, the 4WD
computer sends this signal to lock your front drive drain in). In 2WD this line is close to
12V, in 4WD (Hi‐Lo, Locked center or unlocked center) this is close to 0V.

3) CD on VSC computer – Terminal V18‐24 – wire is Pink with Green Tracer
This wire gets a signal from the 4WD ECU when the center diff locks in and the diff lock
light lights up. 12V unlocked, 0V locked.

4) 4WD on Engine ECU – Terminal E12‐13 – wire is Black with a Blue Tracer
This is the same signal that goes to the VSC “EXI3” input. It tells the ECU that the front
drive train is connected. 12V 2WD, 0V 4WD.
This one was a real bugger. It doesn’t really make sense to have to do this wire, but if
you don’t, the VSC TRAC light comes on while you are in 2WD. I surmise that the Engine
Management unit “tells” on you if you don’t do this wire though its communication bus
with the VSC (ENG+ and ENG‐ terminals). I don’t know everything that these two
computers communicate with each other, but apparently this is one of them.

Parts

You will need various bits of wire – 22AWG stranded works well. A few different colors can help keep
things straight for you.
Solder, Soldering iron.
Tape
12VDC SPDT relays (4) – about any kind will work, we aren’t switching any power loads or anything.
They do really need to be double throw (DT) – you need both the normally open and normally closed
contacts.
Toggle switch to turn on relays.

Location of ECUs

The VSC computer is up under the dash near the driver’s kick panel. The connector you are interested in
is the 2nd one from the top (V18). Take note that the pin diagrams are as you look at the end of the
connector, not where the wires go into the connector (the back). Look at the pin numbers, empty
spaces and the wire colors – if everything doesn’t match the instructions, think twice or three times
before cutting anything.

The ECM is behind the glove box. You need to pull the two screws off under the glove box, remove it,
and then pull 3 bolts that hold the black back of the glove box in, and pull that. There are some
connectors attached to the top of that black thing, you can either carefully remove them, or just leave
everything hanging while you work on the ECM wiring. The connector you are interested in is the Black
one, 2nd from the right.

Wiring Instructions

It is a good idea to locate the relays near the ECU(s) – so three near the VSC and one near the ECM.

Wire 12V from the toggle switch to one of the coil contacts on each relay (if your relays have a +/‐
indication on the coil, be sure to follow this indication). Wire ground to the other side of the coil on
each relay, and also wire ground to each of the relay’s NORMALLY OPEN contact.

Now, cut each of the 4 wires on the ECU’s at least 1.5” from the ECU (unwrap some of the tape to do
this), and strip both sides. Solder on some short lengths of wire (enough to get to your relays) and
connect the wire that goes to the ECU to the COMMON on the relay, connect other end of the wire (that
goes into the harness) to the NORMALLY CLOSED contact on your relay. Be sure you don’t mix up any
wires, it is important that the two cut ends of each wire meet again on the same relay – it might be
easier to do one at a time.

Using the MOD

In any mode (2WD, 4WD unlocked, 4WD locked), toggle your switch ON, observe the “VSC OFF” light
illuminate. Toggle the switch OFF, observe the “VSC OFF” light go out. If at any time the “VSC TRAC”
light comes on, the computer has faulted and may indicate a wiring or relay issue (you need to turn off
the key and restart the vehicle to clear this).

Have fun - post up feedback.

Last edited by Beto; 10-25-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Holy crap. I've been wondering about this type of thing ever since I chopped my wire for the "Andy Mod". I've never liked that I have to shutdown and restart my 4runner whenever I use the disable switch. Obviously, I did it anyway as I am not a fan of VSC and not much of fan of the TRAC system either, nor do I care much for ABS while off-road.

Mad props to you for taking some initiative to try and figure out a better way!

So, I've read through your instructions and I have a couple questions...

1) It sounds like it *only* disables VSC...is this correct? In your first post you were referring to this as "a real TRAC OFF switch"...so why no TRAC disable as well?

2) With this mod, is it now a requirement to have to always throw the switch when you want VSC disabled? As in, does popping it into 4wd locked and unlocked no longer auto-disable VSC?

3) I don't care much for ABS while I'm off-road (*just my opinion*), any idea how to incorporate ABS disable into this as well?

I would love to net the same result I get now with the "Andy Mod"--disable VSC, TRAC and ABS at will in any drive mode--just without having to do the shutdown and restart... Perhaps the ABS and TRAC disable should be a separate switch (or two) though cause there has been times I've been on snow covered streets and been trying to get out into traffic from a snowy side street only to be hampered by VSC and TRAC trying to help me out (but instead help me almost cause an accident) so it would be nice to be able to disable those two, but yet keep ABS on to help with the ice and snow covered street stops..

Also, a wiring diagram of the completed mod could be quite helpful for some of us.

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 10-26-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Good info, I'm gonna need some time to absorb it all. *subscribed*
Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by theferg

1) It sounds like it *only* disables VSC...is this correct? In your first post you were referring to this as "a real TRAC OFF switch"...so why no TRAC disable as well?

2) With this mod, is it now a requirement to have to always throw the switch when you want VSC disabled? As in, does popping it into 4wd locked and unlocked no longer auto-disable VSC?

3) I don't care much for ABS while I'm off-road (*just my opinion*), any idea how to incorporate ABS disable into this as well?

I would love to net the same result I get now with the "Andy Mod"--disable VSC, TRAC and ABS at will in any drive mode--just without having to do the shutdown and restart... Perhaps the ABS and TRAC disable should be a separate switch (or two) though cause there has been times I've been on snow covered streets and been trying to get out into traffic from a snowy side street only to be hampered by VSC and TRAC trying to help me out (but instead help me almost cause an accident).

Also, a wiring diagram of the completed mod could be quite helpful for some of us.

-Ferg-
Well, I still am learning a bit. I did refer to this as the "TRAC OFF" mod at first, but I incorrectly lumped the traction control (this is "ATRAC" isn't it?) into the Vehicle Skid Control (VSC). I've had my '02 for only a couple of weeks, my last was a '98 Tacoma - supercharged with headers, exhaust, piggy back ECU, the whole 9 yards.

To answer your questions:

#1, it disables VSC ONLY, not TRAC. I confirmed this on a patch of gravel doing some donuts - the TRAC system activates and goes kind of mad, but you can get that lateral movement going with the VSC off. I think this solves my main goal of not losing throttle control to a stupid computer in a critical situation (like turning left in front of oncoming traffic).

#2 the way it's wired in with the 4 relays leaves everything functional as it was before the mod - it automatically disables VSC when you shift into 4WD and lock the center diff.

#3 The ABS off switch. I havn't thought too much of that one yet. In my Tacoma I had a burnt out ABS ECU and it drove me mad in the winter time not having ABS. If I was in 4WD (no "unlocked" center diff on a Tacoma) and hit a patch of ice while braking, it would kind of lock up all the tires at once instead of just one sliding, causing a kind of 4 wheel slide, and the engine to stall if you didn't push the clutch or get off the brake to let the engine turn over again.

I'm going to look over the TRAC system next, I need a better understanding of what system does what in these trucks - the VSC and TRAC are not separately documented. The ABS mod, well that'll be the next one.

Maybe a progressive or system by system switch panel is the final result. Myself, I would like to be able to turn off VSC, ATRAC and ABS independantly of each other. Maybe this can't be done, but I think we could have 3 progressive modes: VSC Off only, VSC and TRAC off, VSC and TRAC and ABS off. If others didn't find any use for this you could always control all the modes with one switch...

If that restart thing bugs you that much, I thought you should know (maybe you already do) that a quick flip (less than 1/2 second) of the key back to ACC and then to ON even while you are driving does the trick without stalling your engine.

Can anyone point me to somewhere to find out more about the VSC functions vs. the ATRAC functions? What can each system do? Does the ATRAC only apply brakes to the wheel that is spinning to lock up the other side - regardless of whether the vehicle is actually sliding or not? Is VSC the one that applies brakes and takes over your throttle control to stop sliding of the actual vehicle? Anything else that could help me understand the systems that I'm working so hard to defeat?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For on road use in rough conditions, I'd prefer to flip a switch (or switches) and disable both VSC & TRAC only, yet retain ABS. I notice any time the CEL comes on, both VSC & TRAC are disabled, yet ABS is still active. Any way to trick the computer into thinking the CEL is on, thus disabling VSC & TRAC, yet retaining ABS?

For off road use, I could not care less about ABS...but not being able to turn on/off TRAC and especially VSC, are annoying.

I like what you've done thus far. BTW, I vote for naming your mod, the "Bagel" mod.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-26-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM

To quickly answer one of your questions Beto, this is most definitely TRAC that you are dealing with, not ATRAC. The '01-02 4Runners came with TRAC. ATRAC is found in the 4th Gen and the FJC (possibly others?). But they are different systems, though I'm not sure to what extent.

-Ferg-
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM

I have a wiring diagram, I can't post it. It is about 70kB in .pdf. Please post or PM me if you know how to get around this. I even tried creating a 2 part WINRAR archive, but the upload manager doesn't like .RAR files or .EXE files.

*EDIT - UPDATE:

END EDIT*

-----------------------------------
How's that? Enough options now? Sorry we can't get the TRAC to rearm without restarting the truck, or the ABS.

Comments?

Last edited by Beto; 02-18-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Added a link for the PDF
Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by theferg
To quickly answer one of your questions Beto, this is most definitely TRAC that you are dealing with, not ATRAC. The '01-02 4Runners came with TRAC. ATRAC is found in the 4th Gen and the FJC (possibly others?). But they are different systems, though I'm not sure to what extent.

-Ferg-
Thanks Ferg, I've done some other reading on this forum. Back in Feb of this year someone was trying to do exactly this MOD and he was convinced that it was VSC that was driving everyone nuts not the TRAC (or ATRAC). The thread kind of died, so I guess they couldn't figure it out. I still am not clear on which of these two actually steals your throttle pedal away from you, but after some donuts in gravel with only VSC off, it seems like it must be the VSC. I don't want to go to far until I can find something a little more slippy than gravel as I've got new rubber on. Never thought I'd be wishing for the first snow fall every year - last year I had a new snowblower and couldn't wait to try it out, now this...
Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 PM

Could have sworn that it was TRAC that cut out the power, but if you're able to do donuts, you're probably right.

Nice job in getting this figured out. I definitely agree with naming this just after your name only. Good luck with the rest.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beto

REMEMBER, THIS WAS DONE FOR AN '02 4RUNNER - I HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT COMPATIBILITY WITH OTHER YEARS YET....
Looking at the wiring diagrams it should work for an 01 as well, I can't see any differences between the 2. I plan on trying it when I get some time so I'll let you know how it goes. None of the other 3rd gens have VSC to worry about. Someone else will have to try it on a 4th gen.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Eric-the-red:

I notice you have an E-locker. Was this factory? My Taco had it from factory. The reason I ask is that in the Tacos, it disables ABS when locked. Does yours do this? What about VSC and TRAC? If you have an aftermarket e-locker, does it screw the ABS up? I'm sure I don't need to explain the relevance of my question.

Thanks

PS - No one has a solution to upload the PDF files? The tech write up "staging area" seems to be closed down.

I want to remove them from my web server ASAP - so any ideas?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The Tech Writeup staging area is open.
All tech articles go there first, then I have to approve them, then they get moved to the correct tech category.

How big are your PDF files?
I am not sure if we are setup for PDF files here to upload, I will have to check.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Deleted old link

Last edited by Beto; 02-18-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beto
Eric-the-red:

I notice you have an E-locker. Was this factory? My Taco had it from factory. The reason I ask is that in the Tacos, it disables ABS when locked. Does yours do this? What about VSC and TRAC? If you have an aftermarket e-locker, does it screw the ABS up? I'm sure I don't need to explain the relevance of my question.

Thanks
No, it was not factory, the locker was discontinued in 4Runners in 2001, when they decided that TRAC was good enough. I swapped in a rear axle from a 99 4Runner, with the ecu and all the original wiring. It has no effect on the ABS, VSC or TRAC. Just like in your 02 VSC goes off when I lock the centre diff, TRAC is on all the time.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Beto, nice work! I am a little behind the times here with my '02 which I bought in 2008. After reading through these forums from years back, I have just discovered how to disable the TRAC by removing the green relay switch in the engine. I did that with no problem, and enjoyed doing donuts for the first time since I've had the car... it was almost more gratifying than the day I got it! Anyway, as the earlier forums mentioned, I also lost my ABS with this disablement. I also have the TRAC, VCS, ABS and my break light on the dash. Until I get around to installing one of the AndyMod Mark II, is it okay to drive my rig without the green relay switch? I don't mind the lights on the dash or the ABS not working as long as it's not doing any kind of permanent damage. Any thoughts or experience here would be much appreciated!

Quick Reply: New Improved ANDY MOD - Real TRAC OFF Switch