Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Air Filter Door Hold Down Clip Broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Air Filter Door Hold Down Clip Broken

So, I'm wondering if anyone had the same issue with one of the clips/clamp broken on the air filter holding down the top filter door? Any suggestion how to fix or supplement with something else to help hold the door shut tight without replacing the airbox?
Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by plandy
... Any suggestion how to fix or supplement with something else to help hold the door shut tight without replacing the airbox?
We would not know how to fix it if we don't know how broken it is it. Pls see signature.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
We would not know how to fix it if we don't know how broken it is it. Pls see signature.
Good point. I'll get a picture of the problem and update it here. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is the spring clip made out of flat spring stock.

Holds the Air Box closed .

If your used to making springs and have the spring stock you can make new ones make both .

I would bet a Tarp Strap could be used till a more permanent fix is found .

I am pretty sure We looked at my Toyota dealer to see if these clips could be bought and could not find them.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Ask the wreckers for a complete air box and remove the spring clip(s), my guess is $10-20, or go to a "You Pull" Wreckers, get a spring clip and buy something worth there while well your at it and they will throw the clip in..
Old 03-21-2018, 10:59 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It is the spring clip made out of flat spring stock.
Holds the Air Box closed .
If your used to making springs and have the spring stock you can make new ones make both .
I would bet a Tarp Strap could be used till a more permanent fix is found .
Right, it's sort of a flat, shaped spring with the tip folded so it can clip over the top door to hold it down. One of mine was broken then fell off. Metal works to fabricate a similar piece is beyond my skill. The tarp strap could work if I could attach a "hold" for the top latch so the strap can hook to it. Was thinking of using Velcro strap with self adhesive backing. Mean time the the other metal strap holds the lid down while I find a solution. I'll follow this up with a picture in the next few days. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by plandy
...One of mine was broken then fell off. Metal works to fabricate a similar piece is beyond my skill. ....
Fell off and got lost? Then finding another airbox from a junkyard would be the quickest fix.
Tarp strap is good for first aid.... Or a small ratchet strap...
Old 03-21-2018, 02:51 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Fell off and got lost? Then finding another airbox from a junkyard would be the quickest fix.
Tarp strap is good for first aid.... Or a small ratchet strap...
At first it stopped catching the air filter door lip. Bending it down a bit didn't work. Eventually fell off since it was useless. The ratchet strap would be a great quick fix. I'll have to take another look to see if the strap will clear the air box all the way around under and back up. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolm99
Ask the wreckers for a complete air box and remove the spring clip(s), my guess is $10-20, or go to a "You Pull" Wreckers, get a spring clip and buy something worth there while well your at it and they will throw the clip in..
Somehow my email notification failed to inform me about your response. Sorry for the delayed acknowledgement. Noted and good advice for this and upcoming replacement issues. At some point I'll do exactly that, replace the box from a salvage unit. The remaining clip looks pretty rusted out so it's a matter of time before there'll be no clips left. Looks like this is one of Toyota's rare blooper design.

So I took another look it looks like a ratchet strap will clear the box but based on the location of the missing clip it will have to be wrapped diagonally. I'll pick up a cheap strap from Harbor Freight and let you know how that worked out. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Air Filter Door Hold Down Clip Broken-4runner-missing-clip.jpg  
Old 05-29-2018, 02:22 PM

This is what I did, a riv-nut and some scrap metal. Very few first gen Tacomas left in junk yards up here.

Last edited by ottawamac; 05-29-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:37 PM

Ottawamac: wow, that's a cool fix. What did you use to attach the top ring to the filter door? Epoxy?
Old 05-29-2018, 04:44 PM

Yup, JB Weld. The metal ring was an old buckle of some sort, I never throw anything away....
Old 05-29-2018, 05:41 PM

Awesome innovation :-) Thanks for sharing!