Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

"99" 4Runner Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 06:18 PM
XPY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"99" 4Runner Fog Lights

My "99" 4Runner, if you look under the front bumper were the light wirring harness is it looks like it's already wired for the fog lights, that wire is taped to the turn signal light wirring harness. I checked the manual it says there's a fuse insert for the fog lights under the hood, it's there just needs a fuse. Does this mean all I need are lights, a fuse, and a switch to hook them up?

Someone mentioned a relay, not sure if it's required or not, or if it's already there where do I look for it?

One guy told me the trucks (96-02) that came with fog lights the control was on the turn signal handle, if I could find one with the switch on it all I need to do is remove the steering column cover and replace the handle it's already set up to plug in? Trucks with fog lights installed by the dealer or after market have the switch on the dash?

Has anyone checked this out before or can you shed any light on my questions, not getting much help with this one.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XPY
My "99" 4Runner, if you look under the front bumper were the light wirring harness is it looks like it's already wired for the fog lights, that wire is taped to the turn signal light wirring harness. I checked the manual it says there's a fuse insert for the fog lights under the hood, it's there just needs a fuse. Does this mean all I need are lights, a fuse, and a switch to hook them up?

Yes. That's all you need.

Someone mentioned a relay, not sure if it's required or not, or if it's already there where do I look for it?

The relay/fuse plugs into a slot in the fuse holder in the engine bay. You can buy it from Hella or the dealer. Take a look at the fuse box cover and you'll see what I'm talking about.

One guy told me the trucks (96-02) that came with fog lights the control was on the turn signal handle, if I could find one with the switch on it all I need to do is remove the steering column cover and replace the handle it's already set up to plug in? Trucks with fog lights installed by the dealer or after market have the switch on the dash?

Yes, the switch is in the turn signal. You can do it this way by buying the light switch stalk from the dealer. It cost me 65 bucks when I did mine. I opted for this so I can free up a dash cutout for my ARB locker switches. Or you can buy a dash switch from the dealer or radioshack. The light stalk switch is plug and play. Remove your light switch and install the stalk with the incorporated fog switch.

Has anyone checked this out before or can you shed any light on my questions, not getting much help with this one.
Yes. I did. In fact, I cut the wire under the bumper and wired it up to my Hella 500's when I replaced the stock bumper with the TJM T15.
Check out this thread.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have some more questions. Anyway, what year , model is your rig.

George
Old 09-10-2004, 08:08 PM

Here's an option:
http://www.performanceproducts.com/P...producttype=20
Old 09-10-2004, 09:12 PM

George (or anyone else for that matter),
any ideas as to whether or not its possible (with a bit of work) to do this kind of upgrade to a 99 Tacoma? I know the tacos never came with factory fog lights but I've always wondered how difficult (or even feasible) ir would be to get the factory light stalk with the integrated fog light switch installed on my taco AND have the fog light switch wired to my offroad lights. I doubt the wiring for the fog lights is present (unlike the 4Runners) but I wonder if it would be possible for one to wire from the stalk switch to some offroad lights. Any thoughts or insights on this are appreciated as I'm trying to keep a factory look. I've already used the one dummy slot on my dash for a different set of lights and I'm looking for a way to wire up my other set of aux lights.

Masato
Old 09-10-2004, 10:40 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I installed a set of the Hella Micro DE's that I bought online as a Toyota kit. My SR5 was prewired and all I had to do was install the brackets and lamps, plug them into the existing wiring, install a dash switch (there was some minor wiring inside the steering column but the directions were step-by-step) and pop a relay in the fuse box. Some of the kits include a replacement stalk instead of the rocker switch. If you want the stock look, the kit is fine. They work ok as far as fog lights are concerned. I upgraded from the standard 55W H3 bulb to a 55W Yellowstar which provides a bit less glare/more contrast in heavy fog and rain.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are these the same hella's that come stock on the limiteds that corrode and burn out?
Old 09-11-2004, 01:45 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by Jason B
Are these the same hella's that come stock on the limiteds that corrode and burn out?
The kit I ordered was under the Toyota p/n for the SR5's which were pre-wired. The lamps took on water and corroded within about 4 months. I contacted Hella and they sent me 2 new lamps free, but stated that the original lamps were per Toyota design specs which they (Hella) weren't too happy about. I've had the replacements (they look identical to the originals... ) installed for about 15 months with no problems.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George (or anyone else for that matter),
any ideas as to whether or not its possible (with a bit of work) to do this kind of upgrade to a 99 Tacoma? I know the tacos never came with factory fog lights but I've always wondered how difficult (or even feasible) ir would be to get the factory light stalk with the integrated fog light switch installed on my taco AND have the fog light switch wired to my offroad lights. I doubt the wiring for the fog lights is present (unlike the 4Runners) but I wonder if it would be possible for one to wire from the stalk switch to some offroad lights. Any thoughts or insights on this are appreciated as I'm trying to keep a factory look. I've already used the one dummy slot on my dash for a different set of lights and I'm looking for a way to wire up my other set of aux lights.

Masato
I'm not sure if your Taco is pre-wired for the foglights. Go under the from bumper and check of there's any wiring down there. You never know it might have come prewired.

George

Last edited by george16; 09-12-2004 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by george16
I'm not sure if your Taco is pre-wired for the foglights. Go under the from bumper and check of there's any wiring down there. You never know it might have come prewired.

George
Its definitely NOT prewired for fog lights as this was never an option on my 99 so I know its not going to be a plug and play install like it is for runners. Nevertheless, I'm curious to know whether or not its possible for me to install the 4Runner light stalk that has the integrated fog light switch. The guys at the parts counter at the dealer are kinda useless in this matter....

Masato