Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 4Runner rear axle leaks - HELP an Aussie !! R cannot stop leaks !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 4Runner rear axle leaks - HELP an Aussie !! R cannot stop leaks !!!

97 4Runner (Surf) Diesel live in Australia and have constant problems with leaking axle seals, resulting in oil all over brakes. Have changed seals a number of times, but the problem remains (dif & axle not bent). Does anyone know if the 97 axles have this as a problem and is there a fix for it; have heard rumours here that these axles were superceded !!! Here in Australia as the Surfs are an import the local Toyota dealers do not know much about them. Hopefully you guys in the USA can assist as you may have experience with this issue. Look forward to your reply, Cheers from the Land Downunder.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a common problem with the 3rd Gen runner. Mine are in fact leaking as well and I just replaced them about a year or so ago. Basically we're screwed and we'll keep having to replace them.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:00 AM

Thanks Jonathan, no worries may find solution hear !

Originally Posted by Jonathan
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a common problem with the 3rd Gen runner. Mine are in fact leaking as well and I just replaced them about a year or so ago. Basically we're screwed and we'll keep having to replace them.
Jonathan, thanks for the reply mate, we have Toyota Prado's over hear and the 4Runner is based on the Prado chassis etc same suspension and the like, will see if the rear axle and diff housing off one of these will fit, only difference is that they have disc brakes. Will need to work out diff ratios first though.
By the way don't you guys have many diesel 4Runners over there ?
Thanks again for the reply.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Banned

i dont think we have any diesel 4runners here... the us market wouldnt support that.... here, diesel is used for the big trucks.....
Old 08-04-2004, 12:05 AM

Yeah, we don't get any Toyota diesels here, but I wish we did. There is the select few that have made their way here somehow. I would love to have a Hilux Doublecab diesel myself. I know the 05 Jeep Liberty is going to be offered in a diesel, and VW already has an option for them in their cars too. I heard that more diesels will be an option in US cars, because they are now alot more efficient/cleaner burning and get good gas miliage.

Is this axle seal problem limited to the 3rd gen. 4runners only?

Last edited by 4x4Yota; 08-04-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the breathers on the diff to make sure they are not getting plugged, that seems to be the common problem for the leaky axle (ie there is a buildup of pressure inside the diff as the oil warms up and if it has nowhere to vent, the pressure will force it out of the axle seals). If you do cross water much then just run an extension tube up alongside your gas tank filler neck and leave it open (just temporary) to see if that helps the problem (if so then buy a new breather for it since the old one was plugged). Once the seals are leaking you will likely need to replace them but this remedy may still help leaking seals.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 08-07-2004 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:41 AM

Hilux dual cab ute diesel, plenty of them here

Originally Posted by 4x4Yota
Yeah, we don't get any Toyota diesels here, but I wish we did. There is the select few that have made their way here somehow. I would love to have a Hilux Doublecab diesel myself. I know the 05 Jeep Liberty is going to be offered in a diesel, and VW already has an option for them in their cars too. I heard that more diesels will be an option in US cars, because they are now alot more efficient/cleaner burning and get good gas miliage.

Is this axle seal problem limited to the 3rd gen. 4runners only?

Yep the diesel dual cabs are everywhere over here in Oz, presently only available as 3L turbo diesel and auto. Could benefit from an intercooler and an auto. Why auto ? well after you have driven one every where in traffic and sand etc the auto which my 4Runner (Surf) has is great. The hiluxs are more sold as a commercial vehicle over here except the SR5 version it is a bit better, but they all suffer from being light in the arse end and so you constantly slip the rear in the wet. Hilux's are also called Rolluxs over here from there trait to roll over often. I would like something slightly bigger than the hilux dual cab, but here we only have hilux size or the Ford F350's which are toooo BIG and not that good offroad. I believe you have the Tacoma or so over there isn't that a dual cab ? Diesel vehicles have plenty of touque and they have a lot better power than they use to, only issue with themis they don't like cold weather - you have to have special diesel fuel.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:45 AM

Thanks will check the diff breathers, a lot of corrugations, water crossings and bull dust may have blocked them.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beddo
I believe you have the Tacoma or so over there isn't that a dual cab ?
Hello Beddo,

The Tacoma Xtracab is the same as the aussie Hilux Xtracab, except for a few cosmetic items. They're both using the Hilux N170 platform.
The Tacoma 4-door is for the US/Canada only and it's a bit longer than the Hilux 4-door version (N166). Like the Tacoma Xtracab and the Hilux Xtracab, The Tacoma 4-door is also using the Hilux N170 Platform.

Regards,