Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 V6 Headers !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3.0 V6 Headers !!!!!!

I am thinking about getting a header for my 3.0 v6 5spd 4runner soon and was wanting some info on them. first off if anyone has one did you notice a good differance when it was installed? second are there any companies besides downey that make a header for this engine? Lastly are they worth what they cost? I appreciate the info! THANKS.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

A better question would be:

Are they worth the install on the 3.0?

I would say yes, if you have the time and expertise to do it. If you pay someone, get ready to shell out some $$.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:42 PM

I looked up a website about installation, and it said that anyone who can do regular car maintanance should be able to install the downey headers with the instructions given. Do any of you have the headers installed currently. If so what do you think of them.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Not a chance man. Someone who can do an oil change can install headers?

It took me 10 hours, and I know what I am doing. Oh, and I have a body lift.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:14 PM

Exclamation

My understanding is that there are all kinds of issues surrounding the exhaust header bolts/studs that can cause some real headaches or serious damage if you happen to have the same kind of luck I usually have. For what I'm hearing is a small potential gain I would look real carefully before doing it. AND no, from what I've read, it can't easily be done by someone who have the expertise to change his oil. It's a major undertaking to accomplish and do it without screwing something up (like stripping out studs or threaded bolt holes on the heads).

I also don't believe you're going to see much gain unless the mod is combined with other mods like serious intake or exhaust improvements. Then you see a difference. If I were building or installing a new engine I would probably go all the way before dropping the beast in or swap to a 3.4L.

See this write up: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/downeyheaders/

Also this write up for a description of potential problems: https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ers/churnd.htm

Toyo Master
Old 03-15-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only part that's hard is getting the studs out and the new bolts into the head. That requires special care, which I emphasized in my writeup posted above. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

Another thing is the gasket problem Downey seems to have alot. Their gaskets aren't very good, and require a very snuggly installed header to prevent leaks.

Do a search for "cut headers" to see an old post I put up to show what I did to prevent leaks. Also, there are some gaskets out there by FelPro that are supposed to work a lot better than Downey's but they're pretty expensive, which is the reason I haven't used them. You can get them from summit racing.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by carose725
first off if anyone has one did you notice a good differance when it was installed? second are there any companies besides downey that make a header for this engine? Lastly are they worth what they cost? I appreciate the info! THANKS.
I did notice a difference with mine on but I already had an intake and exhaust that matched the higher flow rate. So far I have about $900 in my intake and exhaust, but if I had it to do over again I might just put a cat back on and a drop in air filter with a modified air box, $200 done. With an extra $700 i could have a locker in the back of my rig by now and only be sitting a few ponies less.
Downey and NWOR are the only companies that make headers for the 3.0 but lots of people have had problems with NWOR so most avoid them.
Children have been born faster then it took my dad and I to install mine. We spent 16 hours, and we are both pretty experienced mechanics. But that was because I wanted to reuse my studs instead of the bolts with the kit. So I had to remove the studs from the passenger head, put the header on, put the studs back in and finally tighten it all up. We struggled with it for a while before firering up the sawsal and chopping it off. There is some pictures on the cardomain site in my sig.
It depend on how much money you have to put in your rig if it's worth it or now. The difference isn't earth shattering but I have surprised a few people on the road with how fast it is.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Churnd
The only part that's hard is getting the studs out and the new bolts into the head. That requires special care, which I emphasized in my writeup posted above. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

Another thing is the gasket problem Downey seems to have alot. Their gaskets aren't very good, and require a very snuggly installed header to prevent leaks.

Do a search for "cut headers" to see an old post I put up to show what I did to prevent leaks. Also, there are some gaskets out there by FelPro that are supposed to work a lot better than Downey's but they're pretty expensive, which is the reason I haven't used them. You can get them from summit racing.
I can answer the problem that people are having with their headers. When the headers are welded the heat causes them to distort the flange. Most header manufacturers do nothing about this. What you need to do is take the headers to a machine shop and have them shaved down like you would have a head shaved. I guarentee this will solve all of your problems with leaky headers.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:23 AM

Hey guys. No matter what you say here is the headers I'm going with. I'm sold on the ad. Today it's a dream. Maybe someday I can afford them.
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/headers.html
Old 03-16-2004, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fever
Hey guys. No matter what you say here is the headers I'm going with. I'm sold on the ad. Today it's a dream. Maybe someday I can afford them.
http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/headers.html
:pat:

Good luck. Let us know how that goes.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Another testimony as to why infomercials work...