Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lack of headers causing all HG problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of headers causing all HG problems?

So I read this in a thread here

So, i sat down with my mechanic, and did some outload reasoning over a few brewskies. And basically what we came up with, is that why are most of the problems with the 3.0, on the drivers side head/valves/gasket. ??????? Well, we did some MORE calling around, and a "TOYOTA GUY" who's name ill leave anonymous for legal reasons, kinda put things into perspective for both of us. What common factor did head gaskets, valves, and heads on the drivers side. Well toyota guy says CROSSOVER PIPE. Basically he said that the crossover pipe that comes from the passenger side and comes back to the drivers side, super heats the exhaust on the drivers side (and a bunch of technical stuff i dont remember) so basically Toyota was too d*mned cheap to Retrofit all its 3.0's with headers so they keep blaming headgaskets which are probably a whole lot cheaper to replace.

What do you guys think. I really dont know, but wanted to submit and get opinions no matter how crazy on this topic.

I'd like to think that it does make sense at some level, but is the engineering there for this to be possible?

Just wondering. I may have to replace my manifold/downpipe soon and if this cleared up any future engine problems it just may be worth it.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-23-2006, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

I think the head gasket problem was due to cheap #$% gaskets, but I think everyone here is sure the manifolds and crossover they use is the reason that the #6 valves get burnt.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:13 AM

I totally agree with the fact that the original HG's are crap

But it also seems that pople that have had at least one rebuild are still having blown HG problem even after putting in a different brand HG.

I am on my third engine. Had a rebuilt in it when I bought it(#2, #1 for me). HG went. Had a full rebuild to my specs (alot of info I got was from here, my #2 engine) and have had another rebuild under warranty from the local co. that built and installed it because of a bad wrist pin.(#3, sorta)

I dont want to rebuild it again because I really like my truck and if $500 headers may help out, then I may have to do it to head off trouble later on.

I may have to swap the engine to something else at some point, but damn it's alot of time and $$ especially if you arent planning on doing it yourself.

Mike
Old 02-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

so basicly you only had 1 head gasket failure?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:10 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
much has been written on this subject - and some of it very good stuff by people who are quite knowlegeable. Here's what I got out of it all - 1/ the head design doesn't breathe all that well. It REALLY benefits from larger exhaust valves. 2/ The exhaust manifold/pipes are cRRRRap. They don't breathe well either, and they hold in heat. Yes, headers will help. 3/ because of 1 & 2, there are potential real hot spots in the heads, and 4/ The vast majority of the people who have repeat blown gaskets have a driving style problem. This engine doesn't like to be lugged, nor does it appreciate 6000 rpm.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 02-23-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The official recall notice from Toyota blames HG failure on corrosion around the head bolts. The bolts being a different type of metal than the aluminum heads caused accelerated corrosion, and subsequent failure.

Ed
Old 02-23-2006, 09:31 AM

Mike........ thanks for reading my post and referencing it...... yah, 3 basic things that toyota didnt engineer well.... heads, head gaskets and exhaust manifolds....... so you fix the heads by upgrading to bigger valves, and making sure the valves are adjusted right.
You get some good gaskets, Felpro are horrible get something decent..(toyota has had 3 different manufacturers of head gaskets) ....i put Rock gaskets on mine....... working good so far!
Also you fix the exhaust problem by putting on some headers your choice, theyre all pretty much the same except for the coating.....
If you can find someone that has theyre heads redone valves adjusted properly, new headgaskets, and headers put on, and they have some burnt valves and head gasket failure.........im showing you a toyota owner who shouldnt own a toyota!
Oh, and for all the nay sayers about the K&N may not prove to be a BIG horsepower boost, but jesus what a throttle response difference...... you can actually get some get up and go out of it with it on
Old 02-23-2006, 09:33 AM

by the way mike, i bought this toyota a year ago........ this was its 2nd motor problem.....first was a head gasket, total engine swap from toyota... then i bought it when the new motor had about 15,000 miles on it !!! then it was a 4 and 6 hole burnt ex valve....... still ran good..............3rd times a charm