Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22RE TRD Level 2 CAM ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE TRD Level 2 CAM ISSUES

I have the TRD level 2 cam in my 4runner, and I dont think its running right. I have a header, flowmaster 50 sereis, 2.25" tail pipe,. no cat. I dont think it runs right becuae it friggin stinks. I turned my MAF sensor 2 click richer, and I can tell its running much richer since it takes twice as long to warm up in the mornings. I just cant figure out why my mileage is so bad. Sometime I get down around 10, other around 18-20..I even got 23 once. It also doesn't seen to climb hills as fast as it used to with the stock cam...but it seems like it has more power in 5th, cause I dont have to downshift on every hill. Its really pissin me off. It seems that if I dont have to give it much gas it runs better the 3/4-full throtle.

I am almost about to put the stock cam back in....my water temp sensor is new, and the o2 senser is only a year old...so I dont know...I have an extra 3 feet of tail pipe, pumped it out the pass side..so I dont think there is too little backpressure, even with out a cat.

HELP..anyone have this cam or similar problems???

Old 03-03-2003, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Re: 22RE TRD Level 2 CAM ISSUES

Originally posted by 4x4nala
I dont think it runs right becuae it friggin stinks. even with out a cat.
Can you define "friggin stinks?"

Are we talking rotten eggs, or unburnt fuel, or what?

I have had experience with cams and running without a cat. The no cat thing really jacked up my low-end torque, or should I say, lack thereof. (Mazda 2.2, Honda 1.6)

It sounds like you are loading up at partial throttle, thus losing power. This whole "2 clicks" of the MAF things worries me. So what you are saying, is that you have added more fuel across the board, for a cam designed for better mid to high-end breathing?

Without a cat, and running rich will KILL your low-end torque. I wouldnt go pulling the cam just yet. Try toying with your air/fuel ratio a bit. You may even want to invest in a air/fuel meter. Sounds like you are pretty serious about your engine anyway.

Pull a plug and have a look. That will give you a really good idea as to what's going on also.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 03-03-2003 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:53 AM

it smells like

Its not really a rotten eggs smell, like our suburban smells, but a nose tingeling smell...not a strong unburnt fuel smell. It really smells like the truck at work, and 85 dodge with a 360 that runs like ˟˟˟˟. Before i replaced the water temp sensor is was running really rich, and the unburnt smell was much strong, this is a simlar smell but not as bad..

TRD claims i dont need to do anything to the compter, but I am skeptical...

The reason I turned the MAF up across the board was because everything I have heard is that 22re's with header/exhaust run lean and the MAF needs to be adjusted.

Also, I seem to get a 2-stroke esk powerband at about 3400, at a partial throtle, in 1st and 2nd gear...it goes from okay to a kick in the pants (well relatively) under acceleration...
Old 03-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

I think its definately time to back track.

I am a little concerned that you made the MAFS adjustment because you heard that the 22re ran lean with these mods. I believe you, and have heard the same thing, but what measuring equipment did you use to validate the adjustment? What I mean, is, why did you make an adjustment based on word of mouth when you had no way of measuring as you made the adjustment?

Say that fast 10 times!

Let me ask you another question: Has the truck ever ran good with the cam installed?
Old 03-03-2003, 02:13 PM

mods

I only made the mods to the MAF two weeks ago, and I haven't really noticed a difference other than it takes longer to warm up ideling...ie not as lean.

I made the adjustments becuase I hooked into the diagnostics port for the OBD I and determined that the o2 sensor was operating at the bottom end of it reading, below .5 volts. Which if I recall is lean.

The truck occasionally runs good, has bad days and good days. I am going to call TRD back sometime soon...probally this afternoon to talk with them some more.

I have a freind in the auto shop program as the local CC, and we are gonna plug a diagnostic into the OBD I to see whats happening, I have tried to run codes and get nothing.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:35 PM

Speaking as someone that did the mas adjustment on a new LCEngineering motor a few years back as suggested in their manual and also speaking as someone that now has a toasted motor as the result, I wouldn't do a whole lot of dicking around with the mass air sensor. Find somebody with the electronic equipment that can actually read your engine to see if it leans out or not especially at higher revs then maybe crank up the mas one click if it was running lean. Running lean can really trash the motor, but so can running rich.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:38 PM

I spoke with TRD

I spent the last few minutes on the phone with the tech. He is faxing me the install instructions, as none came with the cam, to see if there was anything I missed. Already it looks like I might have done a different cam breakin than toyota wants. Which I am guessing is for the computer. So I am off to the office to get the fax, and see what it looks like. Then call him back tomorrow, and see what we find.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM

When you put the cam in did you degree it? IOW, are you sure it's in correct alignment with the crankshaft? Also did you replace the timing chain tensioner? Your saying it has good and bad days sounds like mechanically something is not being consistent.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:51 AM

I have a TRD L2 in my 84 22R with a Weber 38/38 carb, and I have never experienced any of the symptoms you have described. I would back off on the AFM some, I remember it took a while to get my carb properly adjusted and leaned back.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
In my TRD catalog, the Level 2 recommends tuning for EFI use:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#CamSpecs

I've heard of one other guy on the t4x4pickup.com forum that had similar issues with his Level 2. I really like my Level 1 cam and had to make no AFM mods, most folks recommend against doing that in any event.