Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 4Runner Head Unit Area

Old 09-21-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 4Runner Head Unit Area

Alright guys, well I am planning on purchasing the Pioneer Navigation System Combo but I am afraid that the two units will not fit in the head-unit area. I have a 2003 4Runner with the factory head-unit still installed. Has anyone had any experience in installing two decks (is that the word?) in the factory head-unit area? Hopefully that makes sense, I am not sure if I got all the terminology correct since I am still learning . Below is a photo of the system I want to purchase, if anyone can give me feedback about this issue it would be much appreciated. Thanks

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...910DVD_big.jpg
Old 09-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure if it will fit or not (no experience on double din installs on toyota's). I would measure the height of the stock radio and then compare it to the height (combined) of the aftermarket radio.

The biggest problem you will run into are the trimming that you will need. Currently the two companies out there that makes the trimming only has the single din versions. Until the double din kit comes out you'll have a 1/4" gap on either side of the radio (which will look very ugly).

hope this helps. if you need more info I would walk into a car audio shop and ask them if they can find the trim kit for you. They will also know if two single dins will fit in your toyota head unit.

good luck and make sure you tell us what you've learned.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:43 AM

Ahhh yes, DIN. That is the word I am looking for . Well, I just got back from a car audio shop (Sound Advice) and they said they have done installations with 2003 and even 2004 4Runners. They claim that double DIN installation in the front deck where the OEM Head-Unit lies wouldn't be a problem. Well, that is good news for me except they are pricing the Pioneer System (Navigation Unit & Touch Screen Display) at $3100 + $400 for the installation cost. Man that is expensive, I could order it over the net for $1900 bucks, well I guess that's the price you have to pay if you don't know how to install the units yourself. Normally stores/companies won't install products for you unless it was purchased from them right?

Oh, and as for the trimmings, I didn't have the chance to ask. I am going to head back later today to see what they have for the 4th Gen 4Runners. I am sure they have some nice trimmings, they already have done installs for the new 4Runners.

Thanks for the help though Good Times.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

NP anytime

One thing that I will tell you is that I highly doubt that they have the trimming for the double din for you. I know many car audio places have installed the single din kits only because they are available but I have not seen or heard of any companies that has the double din kit out. I too am waiting for the double din kit so I can add something

good luck! as for installation, it's pretty easy to do. Even if you're not a electrical guru, the install is easy. The hardest part will be taking the center console off w/o scratching it!

if you need help, I'm sure others on this board that live near by will be able to help you out! It's a great learning experience to do things on your own! Makes it that much more special!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:24 AM

I don't see why you would need a kit for a double-DIN install. The units should just 'piggyback' on top of each other, like the two piece factory units(radio-cassette/separate CD player) are installed. I haven't really looked at the 03 4runner installs, but i'm assuming they used the same system to mount the stereo, since it needs to be universal.
good luck
BTW nice system you've got picked out there, wish i could afford one!
Old 09-22-2003, 03:29 PM

DrumheadAR, I am not 100% sure but I believe the gaps will appear on either side of the head-unit area, not above/below them. The space for the stereo seems to be slightly wider than the ones found in 3rd Gen 4Runners.

Anyways, I think I am going to order this over the net and install it myself. I am not going to pay 1200 bucks more to buy it from that store. Now this is where I need some serious help. How do I remove my factory head-unit? Do I just yank it out?

Last edited by Jmitch; 09-22-2003 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

there are tabs and screws that you're gonna have to pry off/unscrew.

for more info you're gonna have to do a search on this site as there are pretty good details on this already posted somewhere

the key users would be "impulsebrklyn" as he's done quite abit on his 4runner in the audio department. i've just done the headunit change only but describing it will take up some time. Since you're in fl, I know there are other members here that will chime in and help you out or even possibly teach ya a few things on how to do it.

good luck
Old 09-22-2003, 04:28 PM

I've searched high and low and still searching around this site for more info. But do you think you could point out where those screws are to remove the factory deck?
Old 09-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Enjoy!

http://www.clarkson.edu/~calisec/4ru...runner2003.htm

He has the pdf files on the center console removal so check it out

Make sure you thank Chris as he as worked pretty hard to help all of us out in the audio section!

good luck!

Lance
Old 09-22-2003, 04:43 PM

Oh geez, thanks man. I checked that site out but I didn't think to scroll down. I thought it was brought down for construction. Thanks again !