Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacement

I know there are a ton of threads on this but I cant seem to nail down a solution for this. I'm going to buy a set of Bilstein HD's for the front and rear but I'm struggling with a rear coil option. There is a slight sag and Toyota wants 200+ dollars for a set of 99' rear coils which is what I'd like to go with. The page link for performance parts truck section (for the Performance Parts 1 in lift coils) is dead and I cant find the Downey coils I've heard mentioned anywhere either. I know about the Sonoran factory set up option but I don't want to pay the 570, I don't want Tokicos, and the guy was kind of a turd on the phone. I want my rear end back at stock height and I don't want to use a spacer. If anyone has a lead on some more reasonable rear coils that will meet my need please let me know. All the OME stuff I've looked at is for lifting only so I think it's all out. Thanks in advance!

2000 4Runner SR5, 4x4, Auto Tranny, 16in Stock Wheel Option (believe it or not it's relevant for spring heights....)

Last edited by jbudhram015; 10-11-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM

i have some rear coils from my 02 if ur interested.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the reply but I think I'm gonna stay away from stock stuff unless it's 99' and new lol. Thank you though.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM

get yourself a set of ome 906 rear coils from wheelers offroad. They will put it right where it should be.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ome4runner.htm
Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 PM

the 906's will take u to the 99 stock height - dont over think this one.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:29 PM

I wasn't planning on doing anything but the shocks in the front. The OME 906's are listed as a 2' lift, wont that cause a pretty wicked rake?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Moog makes a spring that's supposed to be the stock replacement for the 99' Runner with 16in wheels and they are 54.99, is that a bad idea? Part number 81041.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Contributing Member

Performance Product springs were discontinued and Downey went out of business long ago. There was nothing special about either springs anyway. Old news.

Moog springs? lol You got that info from ebay, right?
There's very little if any Moog parts that I'd ever put on a Toyota.
I've used a few on a pos Ford but was less than satisfied with the quality-

End your worry and get some used, factory '99 springs. They'll be a good/perfect match for your stock '00 front.

Do not rule out OME 906's/890's or Tokio shocks. Search, read up on the differences..there's a plethora showcasing info and pictures. Years worth.

If you have the cash for "HD" Bilstein's f/r, what's $570 for an entire package when your looking for a "fix" that doesn't exist? Do some homework, the solutions are obvious.

I feel like beating a dead horse.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 AM

Jbud...

I'm running the following...

2000 4Runner
99 coils up front
906 coils in the rear
Bilstein HD shocks all around
265/70 tire size

Name:  4Runner99and906Suspension_200908-2.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  56.5 KB

I did try the 99 "tall" coils in the back and I actually wound up with a reverse rake... the 906s are perfect. The 99 coils also sagged with any load in the rear, the 906s hold up much better. There is a little bit of rake, but that's ok with me (rear is about .5 inches higher)

-batsoff
Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbudhram015
I know about the Sonoran factory set up option but I don't want to pay the 570, I don't want Tokicos, and the guy was kind of a turd on the phone.
Not to be negative--but Steve is not a Turd--he knows his yotas and was and is a pioneer in Toyota suspension for the third gens....Just saying--

Now, i would highly suggest the Eldebrock IAS shocks--they ride very nice and smooth--check them out.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM

www.trdparts4u.com then find oem replacement and click the link
search rear 99 coils 4wd w/16in wheels. should be about $140 for the coils shipped. im sure u can get fronts if u want too. hope that helps
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifting your rig is a sickness. Start big and never look back. If you lift an inch, in a year you will want another inch or two. Just start with 2.5"-3". It's not going to cost much, if any, more than one inch.

This is a reply to me about how much lift I could expect on my 2000.
OME Info: "I am giving you the approximate lift heights, your exact amount of lift will vary slightly depending on the condition of your current springs. The front heights are respectively: 880=1.25", 881=1.75" & 882=2.25" and the rears are: 906=2.0", 890=2.75" & 891=3.0" . The 882's are not an ARB/ OME recommended fit, but our experience has shown that they work well with some applications. " (info given from 4X4 Connection)

I started with Tundra TRDs in front and OME 890s in back. The back was ~1/2" higher than the front. The TRDs gave me ~2.25" of lift.
I switched the backs to 891s but it was too high so I added a 3/8" topout spacer to the fronts. I have also added a OME 10mm trim packer to the backs. The back is ~1/2" higher at this point. I'm sitting at ~3" in front and 3.5" in back over stock.

P.S. Steve does know his stuff. He probably has done more research than anyone on lifting 3rd gen 4runners.

Last edited by Gerdo; 03-11-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:40 PM

Batsoff- Thanks for the info and the pic, I'll be running 906's in the back with HD's and adjustable 5100's in the front to compensate. Ive done a lot of research and talked to Bilstein and it sounds like I'll be fine without the OMEs up front. Your truck is looking good, are you running the Land cruiser HD's in the back? How's the ride with the all HD shocks?

About SS - I get that just about everyone has a good experience with SS, that's great, I didn't. I never said or implied that the guy didn't know what he was talking about. When I talked to him he was super condescending and if it's gonna to be that way I'll take my 600+ dollars somewhere else. I only mentioned that experience because I assumed there would be a lot of recommendations to go to that shop for parts, I fully believe he's a fabrication stud but customer service is more important to me.

This should be the part list for the lift as a whole and should leave me 1.5-2in taller.

Front Shocks - Bilstein 5100 Ride Adjustable
Rear Shocks - Bilstein HD FJ80 LC
Rear Coils - OME 906's
Front Coils - Stock

I'm trying to get all the part numbers together to get this stuff ordered, Ill have pics up when I can. If anything about this list horrifies you feel free to say so, thanks so much for all the input I appreciate all you guys.

-Jon

Last edited by jbudhram015; 03-11-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Hey Bats if your able to can you please chime in with your feelings on your suspension setup for every day on-road driving? I just bought some front tall 99 coils and I'm about to order the rears along trekmaster shocks, but after looking at ur pic above I'm questioning weather I should go with your setup instead. Would love to hear your pros vs. cons on your setup.

I've read a lot on here and I'm torn on weather I should go with trekmaster shocks or bilsteins. I've read that the 5100's aren't valved or something like that correctly for the runner so I was thinking the HD's were an option. Maybe you know first hand the difference in on-road feel of stock shock vs. bilstein HD?

TIA

Batsoff- How's the ride with the all HD shocks?

-Jon
Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 PM

Hey Rapter...

Just to review, I'm running:

- 99 coils up front up with Bilstein 2450s
- 906 OME coils in the rear with Bilstein 2451s

The above set up has worked very well for me... and my truck is set up for the street. I'm about 30 mins outside of DC in Fairfax VA, and there aren't many places to wheel around here. My Runner is primarily set up for road trips, I travel up and down the east coast to see friends and family quite often (family is in NJ).

I love the handeling of the truck... I wouldn't run the 2450s or 2451s if I was gonna be off road a lot, I do think they are a stiff shock, if you search you'll see a lot of complaints regarding this. But for the street, they work very nice.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with this set up. I'm a daily lurker here and have seen all of the different set ups, but for the street, I feel the above combo hits the mark (granted the street is no where near as demanding as what this community does to their rigs). I originally looked at the 5100s, but the 245xs were a little cheaper and were more of what I wanted (a stiff/firm shock). If I were building an off road rig and cruising the desert on washboard roads, the 5100s would be on my list to consider.

The combo is a bit of a "franken-setup" with the OEM and OME coils, but I needed some extra carrying power in the back for hauling stuff around. The OEM coils didn't cut it.

If I'm not addressing any of your concerns with the set up, please let me know.

Just a quick Edit... I was always under the impression that the Trekmasters were a "soft" shock, that's the only reason I didn't go with that set up. I looked at the SS 3.0 for a long time, but wanted a stiffer shock for the highway, hence the HD 2450/2451.

-batsoff

Last edited by Batsoff; 04-02-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Unhappy

Got my parts in today, I'll post some pics when everything is on, probably be 2 weeks before I can do it though
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet-img_2575.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 05:17 PM

Got My Suspension Installed

I got all the parts I posted earlier installed. I put in OME Nitrochargers and OME 906's in the rear and the Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustables in the front with the stock coils. The Bilsteins are set to the middle snap ring which is the 1.25 inch lift setting.

I could not be happier with the rear set up. I was on my bump stops before and the difference is night and day, much improved feel over speed bumps etc.. The front is really disappointing........Everything I found on these shocks stated that they would be stiffer than stock and they are so freaking soft its gross. The front end bobs horribly when I hit a bump and the nose lowers and raises noticeably when I accelerate/brake. all the body roll I got rid of when I put the rear together came back and then some when the front was assembled.

The guy who assembled the struts for me said that the springs were much less compressed on the Bilsteins then they were on the stock struts. I feel like this might be where the problem is because of the loss in preload but I'm not sure. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears, I'm looking buying the OME 880's to stiffen up the front. I read the blurb on the SS page about the 5100's, I understand the point but I'm trying to not to throw away the 200 I just spent on shocks.

On the bright side I'm stoked with the way it looks, here are some before and afters. I got about 3 inches out of the rear which is probably becuase it was sagging and about 1.5 out of the front.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet-img_2353.jpg   2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet-img_2356.jpg   2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet-img_2578.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM

More Pics

Here are some more afters.......
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet-img_2577.jpg   2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet-img_2576.jpg   2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet-img_2580.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 07:55 PM

I got all the parts I posted earlier installed. I put in OME Nitrochargers and OME 906's in the rear and the Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustables in the front with the stock coils. The Bilsteins are set to the middle snap ring which is the 1.25 inch lift setting.

I could not be happier with the rear set up. I was on my bump stops before and the difference is night and day, much improved feel over speed bumps etc.. The front is really disappointing........Everything I found on these shocks stated that they would be stiffer than stock and they are so freaking soft its gross. The front end bobs horribly when I hit a bump and the nose lowers and raises noticeably when I accelerate/brake. all the body roll I got rid of when I put the rear together came back and then some when the front was assembled.

The guy who assembled the struts for me said that the springs were much less compressed on the Bilsteins then they were on the stock struts. I feel like this might be where the problem is because of the loss in preload but I'm not sure. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears, I'm looking buying the OME 880's to stiffen up the front. I read the blurb on the SS page about the 5100's, I understand the point but I'm trying to not to throw away the 200 I just spent on shocks.

On the bright side I'm stoked with the way it looks, here are some before and afters. I got about 3 inches out of the rear which is probably becuase it was sagging and about 1.5 out of the front.

I assume you got the "d558" Tacoma version of the 5100's. Which are definately too soft. Steve doesn't make this stuff up when he puts it in his FAQ.

And fwiw, I had a Toytec employee tell me straight up that they are NOT too soft. I asked a direct question, and his direct answer was that they work great, he's "ridden in a 4runner with them and it rode great". Obviously, they don't work great. It kinda pisses me off that they sell them for 4runners intentionally, and mislead people to buy them. The Tundra 5100's do work pretty well I think though....several people that seem to know what they heck they are talking about have been happy with them.

Your rig looks really good. Too bad about those shocks. I'd return them if at all possible, or exchange them plus some cash for the Tundra models.

Last edited by quicksilvr; 04-20-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toytec told me the same thing but when I pressed them they admitted the Tundra Bilie's would be better. There is no way around it, your gonna need new front shocks. I also want to say that I have never felt that Steve was condescending and I have asked him some of the STUPIDEST questions that didn't even pertain to his products, he's always been polite and patient but everyone has bad days.

Quick Reply: 2000 Rear Coils and Shock Replacemnet