86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

vwfastg60's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I wasnt sure how i felt about it at first.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 AM

Its time to update this a bit.

The original plan was to 3rz swap the truck. The reasons i didn't jump in to it was a had a full doner 22re truck with A/C and EFI with the 2wd going down. The other reason was cost. I have dropped a ton of cash on the project already and with trying to save for details and for a new car come summer i wasnt ready to shell out a few grand to do a swap i didnt need.

Well this falls in to my over said line....Do it right or do it again.

This IS doing it right
Name:  IMAGE_023.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  102.2 KB
Name:  IMAGE_024.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  103.1 KB
Name:  IMAGE_025-1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  101.1 KB

The doner truck is a 2000 non SR5 truck with A/C so i still need cruise and still need power windows but now for a tacoma......Why for a tacoma if my trucks an 87 you ask....

Not only do i have the FULL motor and driveline but i also have the wiring harness for the whole truck from tails to headlights/interior/gas tank. So Rather then throw it away or deal with parting the rest im going to swap the Tacoma dash in to my truck,Door pannels and all. I cant leave it stock tho so i will be modding those and my brother from another mother is working his twin stitch magic on the dash and interior trim. because the dash will be perfect and new i might as well cover the seats too. I knew the door pannels would be done due to the 8inch sub,6.5 mid and the highs so its only right.

First on deck will be mock up of the dash. The doners already gutted and spread out all over my shop. Cabs sitting with wiring and interior still installed, Motor and trans are on tires and will be moved to the carts i have after being washed(More to come )... I plan on gutting doors first cause my buddys is cutting them up for rock doors on his taco. The cab will be next. Im going to attempt to use most of the tacoma brackets in this. If i need to drill spotwelds i will....Its going to look factory behind the dash and factory sitting in the truck. The only thing is it will all be wrapped in leather or covered in something so it will have a custom/special edition look to it.

After the dash is mocked up it will be sent over to my buddy to be wrapped. While thats out its time to get to work with the whole "lexus quiet" ideas i have. My buddy Ben Hooked me up with some Second Skin sludge. So much that if this thing isn't lexus quiet then i will be shocked. I will be painting over that and laying down a mat. Im thinking i will be using the E-dead from elemental designs. Its cheap and the quality is great. Each door and the inside of the cab will be covered in both. The door pannels will get a covering of the mat on the back side. Im also replacing the stock plastic in the doors with a thicker piece. Yes this is a lot of weight but for a driver/camping rig im ok with it. I think the leather wrapped pieces will help to keep the noise down too. The underside is going to be covered in the factory rocker spray VW used on the corrados. Its thick and rubber and should be helpful in keeping the rust down and noise down too...Plus i can paint it and keep it clean easier. I Just got in PArt of my seal order. All new door seals from toyota. I got them for the tacoma because i got sick of the way the seals tare by the clips on the door in the 80's trucks. 80's seals are still available BTW. Im ordering new window seals for the big doors too..I have new ones in the wing windows but they are becoming rock doors and the seals passed on to the truggy.

More pics tomorrow night when i get home from the gym if its not too late.

I have a few questions for the people watching this thread and even the people just finding it...

Whats your opinion on lighting for the interior? I have Red moodlighting from an audi set up to go in. It sounds stupid but will be really cool and not ricey. Its red and simple..... So is my alpine CD player. The EQ however has green lighting in it. Im not 100% sure i know anyone that can change the color in it to match...I could hide it tho. The gauges in the truck are green and because its a bare bones truck with only A/C the clock is MIA so if i do this i will need to find a way to changeone i get to match. The cluster and heater control can be leds but a few things like the clock will need to be gels or maybe a new LCD?

I was talking to my GF tonight and we both kinda bitched about how toyota in some of the newer cars/trucks had amber lighting in the center and white gauges. My highlander has this but its green and white and her new FJ has it. It all has to match for me so do i sell the CD player and try to find a green alpine(staying alpine) and change the mood lighting to green? or change the cluster stuff to red and find a stereo freak to change the EQ?

Last edited by vwfastg60; 04-20-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:40 AM

green and red is a little to christmasy for my liking.

But a red interior with red ambient lighting will make the interior look bland at night. If i were you, i would stick with a grey or black dash with red highlights, do grey or black seats with red / white highlights, and put in all amber lighting. Yes you can change the green bulbs, but there is a green film on the inside of all the controls, so even a red bulb will look slightly off.

But, it looks like you know what you're doing, and your truck looks damn good so far.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM

thanks. i couldn't sleep lastnight tinking about it all and how exited i am to get it going.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was excited to see your truck about 6 months ago ... getting kinda over it the longer it takes!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM

Any pics of the corrado in the background of the pictures, does it have schmits on it
Old 04-20-2009, 08:13 PM

what a sweet build up! its a bad ass looking rig for sure. me and the girlfriend just moved into a place witha 2 car garage and were looking for a rig to build from the ground up as well. keep up the great work....more pics!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM

TC" I was excited to see your truck about 6 months ago ... getting kinda over it the longer it takes! "

I know its taking forever but between money and waiting on Nates swap to go down its been rough. It should pick up again here as he finishes up his.

Humbleslc "Any pics of the corrado in the background of the pictures, does it have schmits on it"

The car has schmidts on it but is not much to look at it. I sold it to the owner with 42k miles on it and he trashed it. It has looked the same for about 4 years now.
When i sold it to him
Name:  Picture052.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  66.4 KB
Name:  Russell005.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  65.5 KB
Name:  Picture208.jpg
Size:  124.3 KB

i saved the car from a field. It had windows down for 5 years and a blown motor. I built a 1.8 for hit with high compression a ported and rebuilt Gladder(20something psi),cam,head work, Tranny work,management, vr6 plus suspension and speedlines, custom suspension. When i sold it to him i gave him a gray with white dot interior for a 90 and a full tan leather for a 93 that he is putting in. He wrecked the car and ripped off a few times in the first year he owned it. I will get a few as it sits now. Its one of the 30 corrados i owned that i still see around(most trashed again)

sas'd22re" what a sweet build up! its a bad ass looking rig for sure. me and the girlfriend just moved into a place with a 2 car garage and were looking for a rig to build from the ground up as well. keep up the great work....more pics!!! "

Its fun and one word of advice...Big chunks make projects go faster..See nates build thread for an example.

More pics as promised.
Cleaned the 3rz
Name:  IMAGE_042.jpg
Size:  139.7 KB

The cab parts.

More to come...Gotta order a new clutch and a few parts to bolt up my trans.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 PM

Nice I thought Vr6 at first becasue of the suspension, Here is a pic of my Corrado, needs paint, but other than that its in good shape, owned it for about 6 years now.
Name:  IMG_3222.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  106.8 KB
Name:  humblecropped.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  45.0 KB

Last edited by Humbleslc; 04-21-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:15 PM

I have seen that car on the tex. I was Boostedcorrados on there.

my old 93 everyone knew.
Name:  Picture217.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  Picture261-1.jpg
Size:  62.4 KB

Long story but i never got it finished. Had some pics in pvw tho lol
Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah I remember that one
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 AM

Sorry i havent had much of an update the past few days...I had to clean up after a 3.4 xtra cab swap we did last weekend. I get to start gutting doors,cab tomorrow. I have been talking and bouncing ideas with a few dash swap guys about the dash and its not as bad as a vw dash swap and its all going to work.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:28 AM

It's about time for an update....I dont know if anyone is still watching but for those who are....

I have been working pretty hard on the truck and have made a few big steps.

Final mock up for the motor is done so now i have to pull it all apart, paint it and put it all together for the final time...Im so glad the project is getting somewhere.

Name:  Picture008.jpg
Size:  79.1 KB
had to build new mounts...2/4 1/4'' for the mounts
Name:  Picture005.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  149.1 KB

shes sitting pretty nice for not having anything in her and the springs not broken in. Should be about 15degrees when its drivable
Name:  Picture025-1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  82.9 KB

A few things to make up my mind on with the bay wiring....

Lexi is getting the inner workings of her younger sister(00 tacoma dash) the A/C parts will be installed so i cant avoid the holes in the firewall for those and the heatercore but i can avoid the clutter of the wiring harness. Do i wire tuck the bay and put the tacoma fuseblock behind the dash where the airbag is or do i take all the brackets from the bay of the tacoma and move them to lexi and make her look oem fresh?

Name:  Picture018.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  142.8 KB
A bunch of emissions crap goes behind the fuseblock that im going to try to work out of the swap all together.
you can see the emissions crap in the front corner of the bay here.
Name:  Picture020-1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  158.0 KB

If i wire tuck it this plug will wind up running through the firewall directly behind the motor and to the passenger side where the stock ecu mounts in the tacoma dash.
Name:  Picture012.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  103.1 KB

Few more pics from the hospital
Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  111.1 KB
Name:  Picture005.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  149.1 KB
Name:  Picture024.jpg
Size:  161.7 KB

I think that the 3rz takes up less room then the 22r/re/rte. I can see the top of the bell housing(could get to the top bolts np) before it was a paint to see or get to. Theres like 3-4 inches on both sides of the motor to the inner fenders and everything lines up perfect with my new mounts. Heater core lines are pretty close but will need to change some with the tacoma heatercore so it will be perfect.

Name:  Picture027-1.jpg
Size:  83.1 KB

cant wait to paint the frame and finish welding this sucker up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture005.jpg (149.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 PM

This build is looking amazing! I applaud you for not just tossing it together, I can't wait to see the final product.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:51 AM

Thanks, I'm taking longer then most of my builds because this truck really means a lot to me so i want everything to be perfect. It will see trails but not be a bashed up crawler...I have another truck that will be for that I think it will be sweet to see an old body with all 00+ interior and motor. Everything has the factory touch and will be that way even with future plans of new axles
Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see some more progress!!! I say find a stereo nerd to change the EQ to red, I really like the red idea. . .

Wanna start on my truck next?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vwfastg60

cant wait to paint the frame and finish welding this sucker up!
I would like to see some pics of that 4 runner if you could...
Old 05-19-2009, 01:31 PM

4runner....IFS cluster

Name:  IMAGE_068.jpg
Size:  82.2 KB
Name:  IMAGE_067.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  76.2 KB

I think im going to get the lights in the eq done red..I think it will be the easiest to swap over.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 AM

Going back together for the last time...

That was all done today...heres what it looked like when i got to the shop.
Name:  DSC_0156.jpg
Size:  100.8 KB
Name:  DSC_0157.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB

Painted the skid and all the ebrake pieces. I stripped everything down so i was sure i had removed all the rust.
Name:  DSC_0171.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  75.0 KB
Name:  DSC_0170-1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  108.0 KB

More pics when i get back to the fun stuff.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Name:  IMAGE_027.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  78.9 KB
Name:  IMAGE_029.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  57.1 KB
The finish
Name:  IMAGE_030-1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  51.7 KB

Gotta put the new gaskets in the tranny and paint the outdrives and stuff. Other then that its ready to go on. for the final time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vwfastg60's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread