86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

vwfastg60's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have any pics of the interior. I have read through this thread and WOW! Awesome. How many hours do you think it took to mod the dash into that truck. I am seriously thinking about trying that one my first gen truck.

btw subscribed to a two year old thread that just seems to keep going.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by rokmycj
Do you have any pics of the interior. I have read through this thread and WOW! Awesome. How many hours do you think it took to mod the dash into that truck. I am seriously thinking about trying that one my first gen truck.

btw subscribed to a two year old thread that just seems to keep going.

Hey, The interior is in a mock up stage at this point. Everything being custom its made some things not fit. Im wrapping panels before i take it in for interior so i know when its done the pieces wont hit and rip the leather.

Thats the mock up panel. the rest is wrapped in factory trim or something else...I have the sub boxes and console to finish and build the console... Now addign an FJ ebrake handle and floor section so its a never ending project.

Id say that i have a solid 2 weeks in to the dash. 8-10 hrs a day. I bet one day was just metal shaping. There are sections of the tacoma fire wall in there and i had to move the fresh air vent so it lined up.. Honestly im still not done making it fit correctly. I made kick panels last night and carpeted them.... i have the lower trim under the stereo where the outlets are to change up cause it shows some of the brackets behind it.. little stuff.

It was by far the hardest part of this whole build.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just sat down and read through the entire build...... AMAZING! you do great work. really really love your truck. but a few days ago i was driving through longmont around "rush hour" and saw a sweet pickup that looked just like yours....... come to find out it was yours! just took me reading through the whole thread to realize! looks great in person!!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM

how did you tie the tacoma steering wheel into your steering box? I've seen several different ways to do it and seen some after market set ups, just curious on your thoughts
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by tinigunner11
just sat down and read through the entire build...... AMAZING! you do great work. really really love your truck. but a few days ago i was driving through longmont around "rush hour" and saw a sweet pickup that looked just like yours....... come to find out it was yours! just took me reading through the whole thread to realize! looks great in person!!

HAHA thats sweet! I hardly drive it anymore so if you caught me driving your lucky. I have put like 150 miles on it in the last 4 months. Its been to the gym like 4 times and up wheeling twice. If your up in Johnstown i bet you see my buddy with his SAS'ed tacoma thats got a full exo and bed cage. Pretty sweet rig. Anyways feel free to hit me up if you wanna wheel or get together and talk yotas. Were trying to get a local BBQ going with a huge group. rgriffiths.co at gmail dot com.

Originally Posted by daswampdaddy
how did you tie the tacoma steering wheel into your steering box? I've seen several different ways to do it and seen some after market set ups, just curious on your thoughts
The steering wheel is from an FJ cruiser. The steering column is from a tacoma. To do that it was a matter of taking apart the joint set up at the floor and making it not have the angle it does in the taco. Pressing ujoint caps and stuff. I took the stock slip shaft and stretched it and tac'ed it together to make it bolt right on the 87 box.

Some snow bashing pics while im on here.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 AM

Nice pics!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks thats kinda what I am looking at doing, cool trail pics by the way
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Nice pics!!!
Thanks

Originally Posted by daswampdaddy
Thanks thats kinda what I am looking at doing, cool trail pics by the way
Thanks

I havent done much of anything with the truck. I took it to the RedLine Landcruisers open house. The header broke on the way down there. Those guys tigged it back up and got me home..

I took the truck to the CUSCC carshow at flatirons crossing...I miss the shows. I think I may do more of that

and tonight i put on some TRD valvestem caps...oh i know huge mod! lol

and my new sticker.

I may actually drive it tomorrow...I havent put 500 miles on it in the last 4 months.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vwfastg60

i see you still tend to run over every other rock on the trail just for fun. Truck still looks good bud. I'll be running through colorado again this year in august on my way to moab. My little 84 looks a bit different now i'll have to pm you some pics of it when finished. I might have to run a trail or two when i go through the rockies again.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
i see you still tend to run over every other rock on the trail just for fun. Truck still looks good bud. I'll be running through colorado again this year in august on my way to moab. My little 84 looks a bit different now i'll have to pm you some pics of it when finished. I might have to run a trail or two when i go through the rockies again.

HAHA i actually dont but i saw that one with my buddy standing next to it and thought it would be a cool pic if anything.

LMK im up for a run.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
it wont happen till fall but i'm throwin around the idea of a new front axle, any idea what yours cost you in the end, after its all set up?

also, we need to hit some trails soon, i'm thinking about spring creek once it dries up some...
Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
it wont happen till fall but i'm throwin around the idea of a new front axle, any idea what yours cost you in the end, after its all set up?

also, we need to hit some trails soon, i'm thinking about spring creek once it dries up some...
I was $1800 in to Brian Housing,shafts, tierod and drag link, spring perches and shock tabs, ubolts and flip plates(bigger tubes so you cant use the tg ones) 05+ tacoma brake kit, also had to get different hardware for those.

Had my elocked front 3rd set up with gears, pinion spacer new bearings. It has maybe 3 runs on it. Had my dirty 30 birfs and chromo hub gears, I got all new tierod ends and drag link ends. Auto Zone has them cheaper then tg with a warranty. had the Trenuin eleminator kit... and had to get a rebuild kit for bearings, seals, rotors, calipers, pads and used my TG lines.

Im up for a run. Are you going to Jambo?? This year im hitting HC again and trying to spend more time on easy fun trails..Hard trails are stressful haha
Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 AM

thanks for the info, that's spendy but its nice to not have to worry about your front end anymore.

I'm planning on coming to jambo, what are the dates this year, i haven't seen anything on cottora about it?
i'd like to give HC a shot this year for sure...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 PM

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoToyotaJamboree?fref=ts

I wanna do HC and a few more. still not up on the shelf road trails.. Im a puss i know.

Its nice piece of mind but you dont have to do it all at once. I just did it cause i had built my toy axle and just wanted to be in there once. I HATE pulling those things apart!!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 AM

Figured id get off my ass and do the hydro assist.

yeah i caved and powdercoated the tierod and drag link body color. Opinions welcome...Im waiting for it to be out of the garage to decide.

I will post finished pics of the bay and ram once its all tight.

Next step is redoing the front bumpstops.

Last edited by vwfastg60; 06-11-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 AM

nice work. did the new axle make steering easier, or is it still hard without the hydro assist?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 PM

it was still hard when locked. for some reason my truck sucked with steering. with the hydro assist now its easy and normal feeling when locked its pretty easy too
Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 AM

I think the painted drag links look great. Beautiful truck by the way! It's probably my favorite build on here. I'd love to do the early 2000's dash in my runner. But when you did this, what wiring if any did you have to change? I know you probably used all the wiring from the newer truck and moved it over, but what about lights and stereo system, even fuel system, since you 3RZ'd at the same time? That sort of thing. Did you still have to splice your old parts into the Tacoma harness or did you change that stuff out to so it would all be plug and play? Sorry if that's a rambling question, I'm just letting what's in my head spew out. Any pictures you have that you could post to help would also certainly be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 87blackbeauty
I think the painted drag links look great. Beautiful truck by the way! It's probably my favorite build on here. I'd love to do the early 2000's dash in my runner. But when you did this, what wiring if any did you have to change? I know you probably used all the wiring from the newer truck and moved it over, but what about lights and stereo system, even fuel system, since you 3RZ'd at the same time? That sort of thing. Did you still have to splice your old parts into the Tacoma harness or did you change that stuff out to so it would all be plug and play? Sorry if that's a rambling question, I'm just letting what's in my head spew out. Any pictures you have that you could post to help would also certainly be appreciated.
Its cool man I ramble like crazy.

Ok so heres the details as clear as possible.
Wiring harness is 100% 00 tacoma. I cut off the front signal wires and put 87 plugs on. I cut the 4wd light and reverse light switch and made them fit my top shift rear case(4wd light) and the reverse lights i cropped the plug. I added HID's in my reverse lights(35w slim ballast DDM brand) I had cut the Fuel pump wiring and sending unit stuff but went back when i cut the top of a 4runner tank out (3.4 runner same as taco) I also cut the brake light switch on the ebrake..I just added an FJ cruiser hand brake between the seats. More on this in a few. I cut out all of the SRS wiring too. I added in some of the wiring from the 08 fj to make the steering wheel controls work.

The dash was the biggest pain of the whole build. It takes up about 7" more in the cab and everything has to be custom around it.

Ok stereo. I used the factory harness and got an adapter so i didnt have to cut the harness. I added the Pioneer Touch screen, MTX amps, mids and highs and kenwood over sized slim 10" subs.

Ok so my new exhaust melted a ton of wires for the stereo and started a fire in the cab 3 weeks ago. I just got it back together. I header wrapped the exhaust but its not enough i can feel the floor being warm and i cant have that. I got a heat reflecting blanket for the bottom of the truck going on this weekend.

Pics.
The wire that caused it.

I cleaned up the cab, put the rattle trap on it after 4 years haha

and on the sides.

And because i was always annoyed they weren't covered..

Ok and while i was in there i had to handle the Ebrake. I haven't had one in 4 years haha.

So i cut the floor and made it all fit.

Amps installed and subs in again. All the parts now covered.

Cleaned the seats up cause they were smoke damaged.

A console will be made out of the FJ cruiser console, a stock sr5 one and a 2wd pick up...I had a little box in the middle with my locker switches and im moving those to the dash.

My ebrake works awesome! now I need to adjust them a little tighter so it doest pull up high...I hate that crap.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 PM

Very nice!! I like the ebrake on the floor alot!