86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

vwfastg60's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vwfastg60's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

The story.

Picked up the truck when i was 13. First ever truck. It was wrecked so i got to fix it. Sold it to my mom who then trashed it and gave it to my brother. Made a trade and wound up with it. Sold and purchased the truck now 2 times after that. Im keeping it now.

So heres what it looked like when i picked it up. Thrown rod(still ran after sitting 3 years)
Name:  pic010.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  91.6 KB
Name:  pic011.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  79.0 KB
Name:  pic012.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  64.5 KB
Name:  pic013.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  58.1 KB

Swapped in a new motor and cleaned up the interior.
Name:  pic014.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  101.2 KB
Name:  Picture030.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  76.6 KB
Name:  Picture032.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  73.4 KB
Drove it around on the 31's and said i have had enough...
Lifted it
Name:  Picture025.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  95.8 KB
Wrecked it
Name:  Picture001.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  98.9 KB
fixed it
Name:  Picture361.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  139.7 KB
made some changes, Locked it and wheeled it.
Name:  Picture602.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  205.5 KB
Name:  07_02_07_1634.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  55.0 KB
Wound up with it looking wrecked.
Name:  Picture070.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  141.0 KB

Bobbed a foot out of the bed so its now only a 6foot bed.

Name:  Picture162.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  189.5 KB
Name:  Picture160.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  194.2 KB
flopped it(planned for the most part.)
Name:  46.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  82.4 KB

So with the body being 100 finished off for the long term goals with the truck im starting over.

New cab. Fenders will be replaced with new fenders because both were damaged.
Name:  06-22-08_1901.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  94.1 KB
New bed. Almost rust free bobbed a foot.
Short bed topper for camping.
Name:  08-03-08_2318.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  95.3 KB

SAS
Name:  10-13-08_0249.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  36.0 KB
Name:  10-13-08_0201.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  37.1 KB
Axles back a bit farther now.
Name:  10-18-08_0015.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  41.2 KB
playing in the shop.
Name:  11-02-08_21592.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  34.3 KB

So heres my mod list for the next month+
Already have Trail gear SAS kit with 14inch hoops and shocks. 4inch leafs and a classic rear kit with 5inch leafs and 2 sizes of shackles. One for the can back and one for the topper. Finish everything up(pretty close set pinion angle and hang the shackles up front. Rebuild axle)

Gears-5:29's for both axles.

Dual cases-4.7 and 2.26(I think thats right) cases

Finish the body and paint. The truck will be Super white off the new tundra/ Highlander.

Kill all the road noise. in the cab
New carpet,grill, finish my HID fogs to match the bi xenon i did in the headlights.

Tire mount on rear bumper and a front bumper with winch. Trail gear sliders mounted.

Clean the frame of paint and rust and recoat in POR15 or chassis saver.

Put the truck back together and wheel!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my god talk about bringing a truck back from the dead then driving it to hell and back good job man real good job looks good wanna help do my sas?? lol
Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
my god talk about bringing a truck back from the dead then driving it to hell and back good job man real good job looks good wanna help do my sas?? lol
Well this time it will be back for good. Im planning on wheeling it but using it more for camping trips and a winter driver. It will see moab this coming summer and lots more of Colorado. i have lots more planned but i haven't listed it because its still a few weeks out or already done and just didnt think it was important, SR5 cluster, In bed false floor sleeper,stereo,things like that but i will post pics during the build. I will update this regularly.

Id love to help but your a bit far away from me one thing i have to say is Grinding is the worst part.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
for real, that truck's been through hell and back, and came back better at that!

good job man!

and I thought I had some vehicles that I'd never get rid of or couldn't kill, lol
Old 11-09-2008, 07:39 PM

that's some history right there lol

i like the way that thing looks.....and it WAS one of my favorite IFS rigs. congrats on the uprade!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM

It looks like a lot of work but it's worth it.
Are you plating the frame in the front for re-enforcement?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
for real, that truck's been through hell and back, and came back better at that!

good job man!

and I thought I had some vehicles that I'd never get rid of or couldn't kill, lol
thanks, When my mom had it i wound up sinking it in a river with 3inches of the roof showing and once we pulled it out it ran fine. Its seen the passenger side on rocks nearing the ground twice now. and the main reason i wanted to do the cab swap was because i skipped out on sliders and trashed the rockers right away. The bed was rusted and had been folded over a few times. I get the question of why dont i buy a new truck with all the money im dumping in this but the answer is simple for me. I cant afford to pay cash for a new truck and this one was my first car/truck ever....I have had 40something cars and trucks now.....Who ever gets the first one back? The trucks been through hell so why not reward it. New paint, No rust and an updated interior will make it nice to drive daily.

The goal is to make it a truck that looks like it never has seen a dirt road but gets wheeled a lot. Inside it will look new(cause it is) and the outside will be perfect so really it is a new truck just built to my spec. I couldnt wheel a truck i was paying on....just couldnt happen.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotasavg
and it WAS one of my favorite IFS rigs...
X's 2; I LOVE to see some IFS riggs getting out there and wheeling hard!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 4307
It looks like a lot of work but it's worth it.
Are you plating the frame in the front for re-enforcement?
I have thought about it and talked about it with a few people. Im going to re enforce the shackle mounting area. Everything else should be strong enough. I plan on filling a few of the holes and bracing where the power steering box will be moved to. Other then that im changing the spare tire mount brace to a piece of 2/3 188 wall and getting it back to where the shackles are. They wound up on the edge of the frame due to the bobbing. Adding a V shaped brace to the one that holds the gas tank. They will bend down and help hold and protect an air tank.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
thanks, When my mom had it i wound up sinking it in a river with 3inches of the roof showing and once we pulled it out it ran fine.
LOL.... wrong turn?

X's 2; I LOVE to see some IFS riggs getting out there and wheeling hard!

I would have loved to keep it IFS but i wasnt ready to beef up the steering much more. I had lots of issues braking steering parts with the 36's on
Contributing Member

I would have loved to keep it IFS but i wasnt ready to beef up the steering much more. I had lots of issues braking steering parts with the 36's on
and that's why I wont go over 33's

where'd you pick up that topper from?

kinda just makes it look like a Runner!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:51 PM

LOL.... wrong turn?
First ever water crossing with bad instruction.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 PM

and that's why I wont go over 33's

where'd you pick up that topper from?

kinda just makes it look like a Runner!
A member on coTTora had keys and everything. I got it because my truck looked like a 4runner before with the bar so why not make it look more like one with a topper.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

I like how the 2 stickers are cocked sideways like you were anticipating on it rolling that way

you're lucky that rock broke the fall, lol
Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 PM

I have thought about it and talked about it with a few people. Im going to re enforce the shackle mounting area. Everything else should be strong enough. I plan on filling a few of the holes and bracing where the power steering box will be moved to. Other then that im changing the spare tire mount brace to a piece of 2/3 188 wall and getting it back to where the shackles are. They wound up on the edge of the frame due to the bobbing. Adding a V shaped brace to the one that holds the gas tank. They will bend down and help hold and protect an air tank.
Are you sleeving the mounting holes for the steering box? I'm not familiar with that generation truck frame. If you want to fill the holes just plate it, those holes would be tricky to fill. Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:04 PM

Name:  46.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  82.4 KB

What happened to the rear cross member? Looks like it was torn through. Recovery gone bad?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:30 AM

I like how the 2 stickers are cocked sideways like you were anticipating on it rolling that way

you're lucky that rock broke the fall, lol
I never noticed that but its pretty funny! I will make sure they stay upright so i dont jinx it next time lol.
Are you sleeving the mounting holes for the steering box? I'm not familiar with that generation truck frame. If you want to fill the holes just plate it, those holes would be tricky to fill. Just a thought.
Im going to buy the kit. It comes with everything for moving it forward and sleeving it.

Im not sure it will need filling even. After talking to a lot of fab shops about it they all say dont worry about it. They say tacoma guys do it more because the frame is not as strong as the older trucks. I think i should be ok. That truck has been hit in the front 3 times and all 3 has been straight when on the rack.

What happened to the rear cross member? Looks like it was torn through. Recovery gone bad?
It was more of a lesson. I knew it was going to get cut off and my friend is more of a newbi then i am when it comes to wheeling so on a snow run we wound up on a section with about a foot base and 6+ foot drifts. Going through we were fine and my truck was knocking it all down but on the way back through(locked gate at the other end) i got stuck to the windows in snow. I let my buddy hook up and pull me out. Well after telling him why hooks were bad for the past season he said he had a strap and rather get in my bed for my hookless strap he grabs some stupid hooked strap. He wound it over that and hooked it on through a hole. goes to pull me out and i felt a slight tug and hear his passenger yell "Way to go idiot" the strap came off bent the lower part of the bed and tore the support on my truck and when it flew off put a dent in his hood and chipped the glass. Once we got my truck out and i could get out i pull my strap out and said....just buy one cause now your glass is not as strong and it will bounce off your face next.....Perfect example of what could happen. Now he is Mr. Safe wheeler and its great.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 AM

So i came up on another set of seat and thought id ask for an opinion. The seats i have now lined up for the truck are heated gray leather and power. A friend offered me his black leather heated power seats....Should i stick to the gray interior or do a 2 tone black and gray thing ? Maybe just a full black interior? The idea was gray will not be as hot in the summer but if i can get the A/C units i have been working on getting it wont matter.

Color opinions please. The outside is going to be white.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:02 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
flopped it(planned for the most part.)
So you FINALLY admit it was flopped?

When are we gonna see this thing on the road?

Quick Reply: vwfastg60's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread