86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Old 06-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
OOOH, Guat! lol..... You have family there/vacation/WHAT? You better get pics, sir! lol.

Traveling mercies to ya, for sure!

Hello Mark..I have to go to Guatamala with the guards for my 2 week summer camp. PM sent to explain. Edited.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Terry, I got an idea, give all your trucks nick name, so we can follow them. Nice work so far. wish I had more time and your energy.....have fun....Bill
Thanks Bill. I am going to be down to the 86 Runner and the 88 Pickup. Need to come up with some names. The 88 Runner is pretty much done just waiting on funds to do the nice upgrades on it. Really a fun little truck to drive though. ( when I can...lol.)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guatemala? Terry they got a lot of Toyota's down there, look for parts....lol
Oh they maybe stolen Toyota from the US....
Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
YEEY! REBEL TRUCKS! Exactly what inspired me to get a first-gen 4Runner
Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Bill.. Of all of the times I was overseas and could of gotten Hilux Emblems and the thought never crossed my mind. I am hoing for a second chance. Maybe this time I will think of it.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
YEEY! REBEL TRUCKS! Exactly what inspired me to get a first-gen 4Runner
Hello Rad4Runner..That made me laugh. Years ago a friend of mine had a nice Toy and this was before I even considered a Toyota, he said the terrorist depended on them and they were trust worthy, why not him also. He was a Marine and that is what he had to deal with when he was in.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had a busy weekend and still trying to get things caught up. Been getting the 1st gen truck ready for its new home. When I got the 88 pickup, I just dont have the room or funds for 3 trucks so I decided to let this one go.

I should be getting a parts truck that will help me on the parts I need to finish my downey truck and my runner. My runner is my favorite and then the downey. If all goes well I will be having the runner back home here soon.

The runner is at my dads place and he stopped by yesterday and helped a little. He said he wouldnt be able to do some of the projects I have done and I remember when I used to go to him for advise on how to fix things. He still knows a few more things that I dont like rear brakes. Those still kick my butt, but plan on getting the hang of brakes eventually. He will be involved in helping me change out the rear seal on my 4Runner too.

He has always wanted a 50s Ford and I tried talking him into finding one and restoring it but dont think that is going to happen. That is one I would like to help do.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I've forgotten.... that's a long bed????? Anyway, man, Terry... it's looking good! Great work you've got done
Old 06-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Its a long bed. There is a foot in front of the wheel well and a extra foot behind the wheel well when compared to a short bed. Jason now has it and hope it works out well for him.

I seen a sharp black 83 while going to meet Jason an Dirtdobber. Wish I had the funds to fix it. I will do one at a later time. I want to get my truck and Runner running and looking great before I start another project. The Downey truck wasnt supposed to be happening this soon as I had the bed for quite sometime but it worked out.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:12 PM

SHHHHHWEET! hahaha.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I let my 1st gen truck go. Jason in tn has it now. Seeing a shrp 83 truck while meeting him sure didnt help. But I do know where a solid little 82 is. If Jason doesnt beat me to it. hehe

Where I got my parts truck was where it was at. I wont be tying into anymore projects until I am done with my runner and my downey truck.

The parts truck looks great on the driverside but the passenger side there is alot of hidden rust and has been in 2 or 3 accidents. I think I can save the bed and the jury is still out on the cab. It was used as a parts truck before I got it and eventually most of this truck will get on the road again someday but that is wayyy down the road.

I will be stripping it down and stroing the parts in the shed. Got 90% of a runner in there and after getting rid of my 1st gen parts and been selling alot of my 89-95 parts have alot of space for this one. Wish I wouldof had this truck when starting on my runner and downey. All the parts I am missing or needing it has. Someone has removed alot of the sensors and accessories before I got it . They knew what they were getting. PS, AC,CSI sensors, Igniter,AFM,TPS,window regulator,all of the things I would of grabbed. Hate it when there is another me out there.lol

Here is Jason and me with the trucks. Looks easy, but getting both of them loaded was a bear. The parts truck was in soft soil. We figurerd we would not make good repo guys.

Someone knew what all to grab. This thing is scavenged, but has everything I need. Is really going to work well for me. Motor getting rebuit this winter when to cold to do bodywork and as a spare.

Passenger side has more damage then what it looks like. Bed might be repairable, will have to wait and see. Frame is excellent and my brother wants one of these truck and knowing where a wrecked 86 is, most of this truck will see the road again. Told him he provideds parts I would build one for him AFTER mine were done.heheh

This truck has electric door locks and antenna. Most a reference pic for me and am hoping I can get the antenna and locks to work on one of mine. First truck I have had that had extras on it. Also has Cruise and tilt so am hoping to add that to the truck. I was a loaded little truck at one time.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Terry, nice score on the parts truck! I hope that all the parts you need work out for you!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Terry, at lease it stays in the family. The parts toy look good you can name it RUSTOYOTA or ROTOYOTA...lol
Old 06-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Hey Terry, nice score on the parts truck! I hope that all the parts you need work out for you!
Hello Ed.. This truck has a lot of parts. My pick up power steering wasnt working. I thought ok just needs fluid. 2 days later it was all over the floor from just sitting. I need the drivers front shaft and this one has a perfect looking one. My wife truck needs the tcase out of it and my runner needs the drivers fender. Found out today it has a glove box light. Didnt know that existed. It is going to work great for me.

Terry, at lease it stays in the family. The parts toy look good you can name it RUSTOYOTA or ROTOYOTA...lol
Thanks Bill.. This would of been one nice little truck in its time. I am still finding things on it. It has a light reminder for the headlights and electric door locks. I am going to try to add some of its features to my builds. I always get the bottom line trucks and have to upgrade. Looking forward to it.

That runner I parted a year back that was a RUSTYOTA...lol
Old 06-14-2012, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been stripping the parts truck down. The cab is beyond my ability to repair as it has some unseen damage. I can tell it has been repainted and it is buckled at roof from an accident. The inner fender is buckled as well and then there is rust to deal with.

It has plenty of parts I have been needing.

My wifes 88 Runner gets the transfer case as it Low Range doesnt work. Hers just needs AC and seats and it will be 100% done.

My 88 Pickup will get the drivers side front shaft, steering gear box, tilt column,lighted glove box,wiper delay, and factory cruise.

My 86 Runner gets the drivers fender.

I sold my flatbed. Already miss it. It was a fun little truck to drive and the bed was a handy little work bench. The new owner seemed really impressed with it. He was surprised at how easily it started and drove. He liked what all I had done to it to make a very usuable little truck. It was bare bones when I got it. No power steering ,no clock, no sliding back glass, I added the SR5 Guage, the bumper, putting a 5 speed in it, overload springs, bucket seats and the bed floor.

I showed how solid the frame was and how clean it was inside. Spent alot of time showing what to look for and the do' and donts on these truck. He didnt undestand why he had fuel pump issues in the past. He understands now that running on Empty is a bad thing.

I now have a few dollars for my projects and plenty of parts for my trucks and now getting the time is getting to be an issue. Once I get the parts truck stripped and out of the shop, I want to get my runner home and get started on it again.

I wanted to get them painted before I go to Guatamala in 9 more days but that isnt going to happen. Have been going to classes for my job and the 10,000 other things that keep taking up time here on the home front. Once I get things settled down things should start to move real quick.

I havent had time to check up my subscribed post for awhile, hoping to get a little time here shortly.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-14-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Terry, that's good that you sold your flatbed so quickly, it'll be nice to have the funds to put into your other projects, although I totally understand you missing it, especially after all the time and upgrades you put into it!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM

HOLY "SMACK ME IN THE MUG", Terry..... I had no idea you sold that! I love that lil thing(not like you did, I'm sure, haha)... But yes, 'GDWYGD'! You WILL make it a PLUS! Looks like you already are, lol.

Keep up the GREAT work, Terry!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark and Ed.. I miss it already and it was a fun truck to drive. Ran like a champ. I didnt know of Yotatech when I got it and learned alot on it. I had to repace the frame out of desperation and then found out doing full rebuilds was easy.

Now that I am down to the wifes truck and the 3rd gen runner, it is putting the need to get my truck going quick. Normally I wouldnt suggest getting rid of a good truck but I have done this in the past and knowing these trucks really helps.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Finally got a full days work in on getting the truck stripped. The cab isnt salvagable as it has rust and has been in some serious cab damage that isnt showing. Only the black foot rest and a seat belt went to the salvage. Still trying to get 3 bed bolts off. I am hoping to be able to repair the bed. It is solid. Got alot of the parts cleaned up and put up. Shop was a mess. I got alot of it cleaned back up.

Spent more time then I would care to admit gettting the cone washers off of the hub as I need the front axle to get my truck running and legal. I need to replace the steering gear box and get the tail lights hooked up and working so will be pulling the tail light harness off of the parts truck. I think I got all of the others fires put out and have a week before I leave to get this truck at least on the road and be ready to paint when I get back.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 PM

Toyota pickup trailer?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 PM

Toyota pickup trailer?
X2
Do it!!! Would be SWEET!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Bill and dsal 86Yota.. that would be a good idea. I will be saving this frame. I know where there is a SR5 that has a rotted frame and when I get my trucks going, I plan on doing a frame swap with that truck and selling it. It has been sitting for 2 years. Hoping it is still there when I get the chance to do it. If not another one will come up that needs a frame. I can swap a frame in a day or two.

The bed looks good in the picture but it is caved in about 6 inches all the way down the side. If I can get it straight that will be an accomplishment for me. Looking forward to the challenge. It is rust free and solid other wise. The drivers side is perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build