86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can not wait for your return and getting back to the toys, have a safe trip home.
Hope to get back to the runner this weekend as I am off, however it is going to be close to 100 again, but I will put time in to it. The bushings need to be tighten up then on to the clutch....Bill
Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Traveling mercies, buddy!!!!!

Can't wait for you to get back on them either, man! haha... ALWAYS good reads

See ya L8r, T8r
Old 07-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RMP8080
Can not wait for your return and getting back to the toys, have a safe trip home.
Hope to get back to the runner this weekend as I am off, however it is going to be close to 100 again, but I will put time in to it. The bushings need to be tighten up then on to the clutch....Bill
Thanks Bill..I am so ready to get back home. Even now t hat I am typing this I am actually freezing. I would rather deal with the heat. I will just put a fan on me. I will find a way to get something done. Wishing you the best of luck on your bushings and clutch.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Traveling mercies, buddy!!!!!

Can't wait for you to get back on them either, man! haha... ALWAYS good reads

See ya L8r, T8r
Thanks Mark..I am anxiously waiting to get home. I have most of the things I need to get alot done..It is going to be getting the time to do it. I will be a little busy this week but next week, I plan kicking it in high gear and getting alot done.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Thanks Mark..I am anxiously waiting to get home. I have most of the things I need to get alot done..It is going to be getting the time to do it. I will be a little busy this week but next week, I plan kicking it in high gear and getting alot done.
ME 2! ....... I'm anxious for you to get to it as well! haha... I, as well, will be hitting the rack mod with purpose... Just like you said, TIME! GRRR! Today, I didn't have 5 minutes to hit the 'prepping/stripping' of it... And I really want to get that done, first, before attacking the mounting of the side rails. I think it's going to be very nice.... Can't wait to see it up there, finished. I also have to wire in the Amp for the sub, which will be nice and clean on the install/SOUND GREAT! Then I want to order the sliders.... I have a guy who owes me a favor that's willing to install them(he's a 30 YEAR welder).... Just gotta call 4XInnovations. Then I have to start restoring the Aisin Locking hubs.. They're VERY smooth turning... So just gonna clean em up and repack/new couple pieces in there. Then gotta install the driver side power mirror. Not THAT difficult, but I think it has a TINY bit of slop in it, so I need to figure out how to take that up so it's nice and tight(maybe dealer has bushings? Know anything on that one?).

I'm still hunting for a second car and maybe a project. I have found a couple rigs that I would love to tackle/would be worth the challenge/money possible on turning them around(have lots of extra parts, even a 22RE block).

Was thinking on this one..........

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...117595425.html

Whatcha think? EVEN COMES WITH A CEREAL BOWL MOD!!!! hehehe. I MISS my Straight 6 Cressida.... was an INCREDIBLE car! And that one is pretty clean. If he'll include the trans, I might bite/if it's OBO.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 AM

Hey Mark, it's a car? Oh maybe a 4x4 swap....lol
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Hey Bill..... hehe.... Yeah... You can't see the pics/description when you click the link in L.A. Craigslist? I wonder sometimes... But then, everyone saw the OM617 Turbo swapped 85 Runner I posted yesterday... (everyone from other states).... So, .......just curious, can you see the car? And HECK YES, I would 4WD SWAP IT IN A HEART BEAT if it wasn't a GIGANTIC job! ahahahah. That'd be a great 4WD CAR/swap... Rather have a Cressida Wagon... But WAY hard to find... So that'd work^^^, yeah? hahaha.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark, that is a clean looking car. Is it front wheel drive? That has been one area I just havent ventured into yet and have not been in hurry to learn just yet. One day that may be all there is.

I rented a Toyota Corrolla last year and for a front wheel drive car, it had some get up and go and was actually fun to drive and quick.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have finally gotten back and did get a little accomplished today. I swapped tires from the 84 to my project and did the SR5 guage swap from it. I also took the bull bar off of it and the wifey is wanting it on her runner so it will hopefully be happening soon.

I took the 84 for a drive and for a solid axle was really surprised at how well it ran. I sold it to my brother and will be doing a build on it for him later, probably a monthy or two. He will fund the parts for it that I dont have. He is wanting it to be a slick little truck and doesnt care if it is SR5 or not.

I will have to stick an 87 frame under it so that will leave me with a solid axle for later on. Still debating about a SAS as I would have to find some one to do the welding and the cost I am not sure about so will have to wait and see.

The 84 is now at its new home and I got the wheels and SR5 Guage.

SR5 Guage Swap, still need to corret the mileage reading and will do when I get to the interior.

The wheels off of the 84 are now on my build. Got 31s with alot of tread. I think the rims will shine up nice.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 PM

WOO HOO! GREAT to see you're home safe and getting back at it.... Highlight of my day, checking in on what you've done to one of the 58 Trucks you're working on!!! hahaha.

WELCOME HOME, TERRY!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 PM

nice, welcome back, so get so work done...lol

What color is the 84 going to be? Mark thinks RED...me too
Old 07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks guys, it so nice to be back. If I ever see another airplane again it will be too soon.lol

My brother thinks he wants the 84 gray but still is undecided, I am thinking my truck will be green and the runner blue. They are all really close to being ready for paint.

I have to admit, I really would like to keep the 84, it starts and runs GREATand really fun to drive. But it has to fund the other trucks. I will make it nice to and the best part it isnt my money.hehe
Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 PM

I have to say... I love em in any color... But they look best, IMHO, in White, Blueberry Blue(probably my fav when done right), Brick Red, ....and yes, while most don't agree... I think the lighter Silver is one of the best on em! Nissan had the best silver, and I've seen guys do their toys with that Nissan, like 70's 280Z Silver? SICK! It's a lil darker but not even close to charcoal... Which I like too. But Gray? Odd, ...never liked that much.... but then,... IT'S NOT MY TRUCK, IS IT?!?!?!?!? HAHAHAHA. Hope your bro doesn't read this and think I'm hating! hahaha. I'm sure it'll look SICK, and I'll be shut up!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome back Terry! Looking forward to seeing some color going on your trucks soon!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. I seen a blueberry just like mine yesterday, a first for me around here, and it looked nice. Just dont see many 1st gens here, but a one in real good conition they all look nice.

My brother is in the stoneage as far as computers, he could care less about them. His wife has a hotrod computer and if it even has a hiccup, he will get it fixed fast for her.

There is no way he would ever see your comments.lol.. I am probably the biggest reason it will stay gray. To do a full color change is a real job to get everything changed so there isnt any evidence of it previous color. Getting the jams and under the hood is takes alot of time for me to do it right as I will pull the motor to do one. I did it once and swore off doing a color change, and talking to Jason, he has about the same feelings on it too.

Hello Ed..I am looking forward to getting some paint on it soon. Unfortunately some people think what a piece of junk, but put some paint one on and it will change their tune. Living in town, is one regret I have as I have to keep the peace with the neighbors. I do like seeing what I can turn one into though. I will have 4 trucks when all is said and done and they are in great condition for the most part.

If my 86 runner was painted, dont think the neighbors would mind. Thats why it is at dads place. Bringing that one from the grave was a job in itself, but it doesnt look nice so go figure. Just told the wife it will be nicer then hers when done, but now I need a truck so she better get busy on hers before mine passes hers up while she has the chance.lol
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 AM

Ahhhhhhh, well there ya go.... Forgot it's gray... derrrrr~! lol. TOTALLY wouldn't wanna change it either!!! As I said... by the time you're done, it'd be my favorite color! hahaha... "I love your work, sir!" hahaha.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:32 AM

Ahhhhhhh, well there ya go.... Forgot it's gray... derrrrr~! lol. TOTALLY wouldn't wanna change it either!!! As I said... by the time you're done, it'd be my favorite color! hahaha... "I love your work, sir!" hahaha.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Later today I will be working on the pickup. I was supposed to go get the 85 extended parts truck today but the PO has a few things going on so that will get put on hold for week or two. It will be a future project wayyyy on down the road. Like I did on my 86 runner. It will take some time to get it legal and aquire some parts it may need that I dont know about just yet at bargain prices. Besides I want to get my 2 projects done before starting another one. I will always have something going on. Keeps me out of the house and off of the couch.

If everything goes well, I need to replace the starter and a CV shaft and get the tail lights wired up and working. If all goes well there I will take it to the inspection station and get it tagged and on the road today. Thats IF all goes well and if I can stand the heat. I am hoping the windshield will pass inspection as I dont want to replace it til after getting it painted. I have high hopes for today.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
LOL Will probably be mine too!! Thanks for the work compliment. It is something I wish I would of gotten into a long time ago instead of being intimidated by it. Guess it is better late then never.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM

Good to see you back. Love that step side bed

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build