86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Still have a couple of hours to work on it tomorrow but it should get painted if the weather holds up. Still have one more door to prep but it doesnt lack much. Need to prep inside the doors a little more.

I had a couple of chips to take care of. A razor blade works great as a spreader.

Here is how I paint the inside of the door so as to make it blend in a little better with the exterior. I remove the trim and then run tape where the trim was on the inside. Then I paper against the exposed tape and run another strip of tape on top of that. Top has been taped again and still need to run tape down the left side.

Not to worried about the center as it will have a door panel covering it and I will cover the seal as I just now seen that I didnt mask it off.

Terry,

How did you get the plastic piece off the cab next to the door? I left mine on when I painted it because I was afraid I was going to break it, trying to take it off.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello junk4u.. I do have the ability to work on my projects a little more then others as I am a nite owl myself so I have some free time that I can spend on it as the wife and kiddos are in the school system.

I sold my 87 flatbed and it was nice having it as a reference. I should of taken better pics of the hoses and now I am paying for it. As one of my kids would say " I just earned my Duuuur patch"

No worries about stalking here,lol, I try to make my build theads for a record for myself and to show the info I have found. There are alot of ways of cutting the cost down and easy fixes that are on the net and eventually am going to try to make a long thread that someone can go thru and knock out most of the common issues on their truck.

Alot of the previous post on this thread look bad right now, but is a place for me to get all of the info in one area for the long thread I am working on. I am just glad some one is noticing it.lol, Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Kelly00127..Ouch, that $350 is high. I will ask where my windshield shop orders his from. The windshield is only about $125 and get that info to you in the next few days. I priced the glue/seal and think it was about $40.

On the side trim, you will need new clips. The way they go in, it appears to me that there is no saving the clips so I just replace them with new clips. I will see if I can find a side trim so that you can see what it looks like on the back side. I pry at the clip in the top, middle and bottom. Will look when it is daylight and see if I have a trim to post a pic for you.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was at the boneyard today and they have a 2nd gen Runner that appears to have 4.88s in it. The yard want $250 for the front and $250 for the rear ($500 total) and is only for the 3rd members. I dont know if this is a good deal or not and is not in my budget. If you think you might be intrested, I can get the yards name and number for you and I think they ship. If intrested just PM me and I will get the info for you. I dont know gearing and what all is involved and I understand when using a 2nd gen runner for the front end you need one of the tubes for the axles. Changing out the rearend is easy. I have never done a front end. Just thought I would pass this along and not sure how hard it is to swap. The runner was really taken care of from what I seen on its appearance and am guessing the front end has very little 4 wheel time on it.

While there, I did get the boneyards cheat sheet as to the codes that list what gear ratio is in a truck. I havent verified the information myself, but feel since it is what they used it is probably fairly accurate. On the drivers side door panel on a 2nd gen there is a white tag that has several codes listed. If you see these codes this is what is supposed to be in the axle.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm another one of terry's builds I finished reading.....Holy overload of fixes/info on page 19.

Has your brother done anything new to this truck, I mean 5 months later, something has had to happen.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$250 is pretty high for one third member out of a junkyard in my book. You could probalbly find a used one with a locker for $400. But third members here are running less than that...
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello dakotawho.. He did swap out the motor this past winter and is now getting ready to replace the tires on it, but other then that he hasnt done much to it. We are going to the boneyard as soon as it warms up and he is wanting to find some seats for it. He really likes the the truck and is getting alot of compliments on it. He always drove plain jane trucks and now understands why it is nice to have something a little diifferent.

Hello kornhuskerwizard...I wasnt sure if that was a good price or not. I do know now I probably will not ever do 4.88s. I would need to lift my truck for 33 inch tires and jumping up into a truck just isnt for me. The rear end sold out of that runner so it is just the front end left now.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I beleive the last 3rd member my brother bought at the salvage yard was $50.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard... I wish I could get 3rd members that cheap. They are expensive around here.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Well my brother put a remaned motor in his truck and this week it blew a head gasket. He wants to get it back on the road as soon as possible and he is wanting my help to get it swapped out. Luckily I don't have to put in a new timing chain. His wife of 24 years just up and left and caught everybody by surprise and she was the one that didn't want him to put any funds into it except for the gas tank. ( She would of been my ex wife 23 years ago) and his new girlfriend wants him to fix it up sharp.

He likes the gas mileage it gets and he uses it a lot even when I ride with him he gets a lot of looks with it. I think that is why he likes it so much and he just has a thing for short narrow beds. I did recently paint the tail gate for it and we added a hitch for it. It needs a rear bumper to help hide the hitch as I don't care for the looks of the back with the hitch showing. Every 22r motor I have ever had I have always had to swap out a head gasket even when I bought a truck in great condition. So far every truck I have replaced the head gasket on has never blew it again. Hopefully this will be the last head gasket for several years to come on it. I can swap a motor out a lot faster then a head gasket.

He was thinking it would be a quick fix, and I told him it is a 3 day process for me. It only takes a few hours to pull the head, but then you got a day or so at the machine shop and some reason it takes forever to get the head bolted back up. Should be getting on it soon. We will see.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its them darn exaust & intake bolts its why i swapped out mine for studs MUCH faster an easier
Old 09-04-2016, 05:31 PM

So I have a friend that always text me pictures of Toyotas he comes across and he sent me a text of a white step side yota today and I told him I had a friend in Anderson that was building one and sure enough he was in Anderson at an estate sale and ends on the same block as your house. I assume it is this truck I wouldn't think there is another one. He said it was a good looking truck!
Old 09-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

There was an estate sale just a block away from me and my brother lives real close to where that estate sale was. That was his truck he seen. PM me the guys name. I wonder if I know him. Anderson is a small town and a good chance I know of him,
Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 PM

sorry it took so long to get back to this he lives in Bella Vista and does construction in Bentonville. he is the one the 86 in my drive way belonged to.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
The temperture has been dropping around here and Steve was saying that his heater wasnt working. He doesnt know much about mechanicing so I looked at it and said it must be a clogged heater core so we tried flushing it several times and got very little junk out of it. So then I tried to soak it with CLR. Trying everything to avoid from swapping heater cores. Nothing worked, so today he went and bought a core from Oriellys for $62 if I recall right.

Flushing wasnt going to fix this one and is the first time that I have ran into something like this. His truck doesnt have AC, and instead of having the condenser, it has a square tube in its place. The heater core was full of dust,dirt and debri. My guess is with an AC unit under the dash it would of blocked the debri from getting to the heater core, but with a square tube, the debri goes from the blower straight to the core. Flushing cant fix the outside of the core.

I have listed on one of my threads about how debri gets thru the cowl and on the passenger side it can get down to the blower and that is how you can get fan noise from debri getting in from the out side. I am going to do the following write up so as I can just copy and paste it to my 88 Runner build as I am trying to make it where someone that has questions, that maybe the 88 Runner build can help solve their problems. I refer to it alot myself.

Remove Speedometer Bezel
Remove Speedometer Assembly
Remove Lower Panel
Remove Glove Box
Remove Dashpad
Remove the hoses clamps under the hood. I find it easier to leave the hoses attached to the core and push the hose thru the firewall with firewall seals attached.
Unhook the 4 cables attached to the heater controls.

Here you can see I removed the White plastic cover and the side arms that support the dash and where your stereo will mount to.

When pulling the heater core assembly thru, pull it til the metal hose portion clears the firewall and slide to the right to clear the bracket and core where my fingers are pointing to.

Here is the Core Assembly. You will have 4 clamps on top that are held by phillips screws. Remove and slide the core up and out.

Seperate the pipes from the core. My replacement core didnt come with new seals or the c clips. Be gentle with these as you will need to reuse them. When you stick the old pipes into the new core (you use your old pipes) do NOT try to squeeze them with pliers to try and close the gap. The edge will bend and then you have to straighten it out. I found it easier to have someone to push the two pieces together while I put on the clip.

The oring you will need to reuse. I should of went to the store and got a new one, but we didnt have any leaks when done.

Here is the problem with this core. Steve wanted a new one in it. The old one was actually in great shape, so I will clean the outside and keep it for a spare. I am a cheapscape and can have a core out in 45 minutes, just because I have done this several times.

The first time I changed heater controls, it took me 3 hours. This is not an easy job for your first time but will add this post to my 88 build to try and make it easier for someone who might have to do this. I have some videos of other steps.

New one on left and clogged one on the right. First time I ever ran into a core like this.
Who makes the replacement core that you used?