86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have been trying to get the front axle off of my parts truck to move over to my truck. I havent done a Toyota front end and havent done the bearings in a long time. So things are a little foggy in the brain department. Having to relearn some of this. The last time I was overseas and the wife had the front end done while gone.

Hoping Monday that I have the front end and tail lights working that I can get it legal for the road.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Some info I found that would of been useful earlier. Cone washer removal and front hub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3djqDPYI9tM

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-21-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am trying to get the front shaft out of the parts truck to install in my truck. It is so close but just wont come out. Been looking in the manual and on the internet for tricks to get it out. Still havent found anything. This is a first for me swapping out CV shafts. I know I will eventually get it. I have about an hours time in on it. Have a few other ideas about getting it out but hoping someone has some input or the secret to getting it out.

I finally got the title in my name. Took all day at the DMV. Have to pass inspection and $35 and it will be on the road. Just need to get the front shaft in and rewire the tail lights to the beds individual lights. I think the windshield will pass. I will get it changed out wheter it passes or not as that just bugs me having a crack anywhere in my view.

Found a 87 4wd that has a salvage title. The frame is rotted and it was damaged in a collision. I have a perfect frame on this truck and was going to buy it and do frame swap as I can have one done in 2 or 3 days. But Missisouri you have to schedule an appointment and all kinds of paper work to do a rebuilder. Was just a bump but the frame being rotted qualifies as a total. If I could of just bought it off of the orginal owner it wouldnt of been a problem. Grrr...

So close to getting out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid removing ball joints as I dont have a pickle fork, but may have to get one soon.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will be gone for 2 weeks and am hoping to have access to the threads. Wont be much going on mine for that time until then, but when I get back things should move real quick. Wasnt able to get the runner home like I would of liked to have, just wasnt enough time.

My goal from now is to have both trucks painted and on the road 3 or 4 weeks from now. Shouldnt be anything holding me up now. I have all the parts I need and just need to get the paint supplies,just got this 2 week hold up in the way. But it will do me some good. I will be itching to get back on them knowing they are so close to being done.

I finally got the the parts truck stripped and most put away. The cab and fuel tank were the only things not salvageable. I did get the core support for my runner as it is really rusted that I had to use for a temporatry fix. Even though it doesnt look like it in the picture above, the truck bed was side swiped and actually narrowed the inner fender well by about 2 inches. For a challenge I wanted to see if I could fix it. Put a bottle jack on the inside and was able to work the fender and wheelwell out.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, two weeks sucks, remember look for Toyota parts. Lol, be safe down there, make sure you got extra bullets, you never have enough
Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well,l I'll miss your updates while your gone, but look forward to seeing your truck and runner going through the paint stage when you return, I'll be watching and take notes, lol! Have a safe trip Terry!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thank Bill and Ed. I will be leaving here in a few hours. I am already to get back home. When I was younger I wanted to travel, now I just like being a homebody.

I did luck out into a good deal. I got a 84 short narrow bed that runs great but the frame is toast and the tranny wont go into first gear and it has a title. Also got a 85 extended cab but has no title.

Didnt get the extended cab home but will when I return from my trip. It doesnt have a title and has a good frame and body. Paid $850 for both of them.

Current plans for now is to take the parts off of the 84 and add them to my current project. The 84 is a rust bucket. Believe me, it is worse then what the pic shows. I was highly disappointed in its condition, but for the parts it has on it, it was worth it alone.

I am not sure of the conditon of the cab so that is still in the air. I was orgianlly buying it to fix and sell but that isnt happening with the truck now. I am thinking of maybe building this truck sometime down the road as I have everythign to make a truck from the parts I have. I want to finish my runner and my current pickup before I do anything with this truck.

I am going to see if I can find the orginal owner of the extended cab and see if I can have them to get a title for it. I would like to fix and sell this one but that will depend on how the title goes. I am hoping for the best and expecting the worse. I really dont want to have to part it out, as it is a solid little truck.

Looks great, has title, but would be unsafe to drive, even the front of the frame is rusted thru. PO tried to plate the frame in several areas.

Looks great would be safe to drive but no title.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-02-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Man Terry I can't keep up with all your builds, and now you got two more trucks! LOL, just kidding, I wish I could come across some deals like that! That's cool that you have some more parts for your truck build, I hope you're able to get a title for the extended cab, I always liked the looks of those! I bet you'd have no problem selling it after fixing it up, depending on the title situation.

Last edited by rustED; 06-22-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stepside is sweet, and I like the rims! It's a sharp truck, any chance of a frame swap? Bet you could get an IFS frame cheap and throw the 84's axle under there.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM

Well Terry you got so work when you get back, I think you have more build threads then anyone on the Yota tech web site. And on three buildup sections

Wow, you must have a great little woman, mine thinks I'm crazy with two.

Have fun
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Always a pleasure to see ANYTHING you're doing.... especially watching you manifest CHERRIES out of the finds you come across. Swap the vin from the stepside onto the white one?????????

Be alert and aware, buddy, and let us know you're there and back SAFELY, k?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

computer service down here is terrible, and this public computer is about as bad also,but i can check basic things.

i have the frame from post 57 that could be used on it but it has the floor rotted out on it. it has been plated several times already,even the front of the frame is rotted. never seen one rotted so bad.

would like to get title for extended cab would like to fix it.

alot of toyotas down here alot that we dont have in states. solid axles in 90s trucks,diesels,and 4 doors.

out in middle of nowhere and am hoping to get surf or hilux emblems.

cant access my pm and have a few that i will respond to when i get to a real computer. i am so ready to get home. hoping to have better access in a few days.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have a week til I get home. Got access to a good computer and thought I would update what is going to happen.

I will be taking the frame from the 87 parts truck, post 57 above, and putting it under the 84 body. My brother will be buying it from me, but I will be switching the tires,rims and SR5 guage to my 88 truck. (Means I willl have a solid axle for a future swap on down the road).

I told him it will be a month or so before I can get to it as I want to get my pickup finished up before I start on his. He has a full size 83 Chevy 4x4 shortwide bed that is horrible on fuel and is getting on his nerves and wants something a little more economical.

I have another week before I get home, then have a busy week after I get home and hopefully will get my truck finished up. I need a truck real quick so things will get moving on my project soon. After I get my truck done, I will do his truck and then get back on my Runner where I want to be anyways. I favor the runner but a pickup is needed most at this time.

His truck will be a frame swap and paint. I told him if he can come up with some nice bucket seats and order some carpet, I can do alot with the interior, it will be one nice little truck. He is really excited about getting it done.

Getting a new home soon.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Man Terry I can't keep up with all your builds, and now you got two more trucks! LOL, just kidding, I wish I could come across some deals like that! That's cool that you have some more parts for your truck build, I hope you're able to get a title for the extended cab, I always liked the looks of those! I bet you'd have no problem selling it after fixing it up, depending on the title situation.
Hello Ed..I really want a title for the extended cab. It is in really great condition. Being a solid axle,extended cab, and fuel injection, it would help fund my projects.
Originally Posted by Zelephant
Stepside is sweet, and I like the rims! It's a sharp truck, any chance of a frame swap? Bet you could get an IFS frame cheap and throw the 84's axle under there.
Hello Zelephant...I had to strip a IFS down just recently. The cab had some major damage that was poorly repaired and buckled the cab,inner fender and rusted out rocker assembly. The frame wasnt damaged. I salvaged everything but the cab and only a seat belt and the black foot rest went to scrap. It was BARE!! lol.. I am keeping the axle for myself and am thinking later on maybe putting it in mine after I get everything caught up.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Well Terry you got so work when you get back, I think you have more build threads then anyone on the Yota tech web site. And on three buildup sections

Wow, you must have a great little woman, mine thinks I'm crazy with two.

Have fun
Hello Bill...lol I have a great wife. She has seen me take some disasters and make something of them and have made a little off of some of them and it helps. I am still looking at it as just my 88 truck build and my Runner build. But I guess the 84 will count as one.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Always a pleasure to see ANYTHING you're doing.... especially watching you manifest CHERRIES out of the finds you come across. Swap the vin from the stepside onto the white one?????????

Be alert and aware, buddy, and let us know you're there and back SAFELY, k?
Thanks Mark..So far trip has been safe. I am so ready to get back home.

I had thought of swapping the VINs but wasnt sure about one being a standard cab and the other being extended cab. Things worked itself out and I will just sit the extended cab out back for a project way on down the road.

I want to get back on my runner but we need a truck and like something a little different so after I get mine and his done. I have every intention of getting my runner going. Really just needs paint, windshield installed,rear axle leak fixed,carpet and seats and it is done. Time is what is holding me up now.Grrrr...

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-02-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Ed..I really want a title for the extended cab. It is in really great condition. Being a solid axle,extended cab, and fuel injection, it would help fund my projects.
Man Terry that is a desirable truckto have, it has the goodies, lol, it's getting harder and harder to find a 85' xcab efi truck around here, I want it! Lol.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Terry , DMV will know that it's a diffence title from the style truck. Here you need a title or bill of sale, best to find the owner and have a new title for the truck. Before you do anything check with your state DMV. If you have a friend in the insurance company, have him or her run the vin for the owner...safe trip back
Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wish I could stop by and just go at these for a couple weeks with ya... Then go to Jasons and do the same! hahaha... "Jason, Terry, .... you're leaving out of town... Give me a list and get outta here!" hahaha. Then again, I'd like to GET TO MINE! hehe... REALLY miss touring the US on random-all the sudden trips! Been too long! Think I'll wait til some early spring though? hahaha.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Man Terry that is a desirable truckto have, it has the goodies, lol, it's getting harder and harder to find a 85' xcab efi truck around here, I want it! Lol.
Hello Ed..I knew it is a hard truck to find and especially for the condition of the bed,frame and body. I had to go thru a title issue on my runner and it is a pain and a slow process. Which is ok for now as I really want to get my pickup and runner done then I will start on this one at a later time. I will always have some kind of project going on.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Terry , DMV will know that it's a diffence title from the style truck. Here you need a title or bill of sale, best to find the owner and have a new title for the truck. Before you do anything check with your state DMV. If you have a friend in the insurance company, have him or her run the vin for the owner...safe trip back
Hello Bill..I am going to have Missouri Hiway Patrol to run the VIN on it , before I do anything to it. Also want to try and make contact with the orginal owners. If they have the title or could file for a lost title then turn it over to me, that would make life so much easier. I do have a Bill of Sale on it, but that stills doesnt make me feel comfortable, just proof I didnt steal it. I can write a Bill of Sale on an Oreo Cookie.lol

Here in Missouri we are fortunate that they just go by the VIN on the dash, but when you swap frames, you have to have proof that it isnt stolen and they have a register to look up all vehicles. The VIN on the frame is on the right front by the A Arms.I have done 2 swaps before and run them to the DMV and make sure everything is good when done. One reason I keep all my titles, even if I no longer have the truck.

One thing I wanted to ask you, and I know each state varies, but here in the midwest, there are alot of 40s,50s, and 60s cars and trucks in fields and farms. I am sure most dont have a title and some owners have passed on many years ago. Any idea what the trouble would be like to get something like that legal? I have been keeping my eye out for something really unusual for something on down the road ( I know where a 38? Dodge truck is sitting) for something to work on at a later time.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wish I could stop by and just go at these for a couple weeks with ya... Then go to Jasons and do the same! hahaha... "Jason, Terry, .... you're leaving out of town... Give me a list and get outta here!" hahaha. Then again, I'd like to GET TO MINE! hehe... REALLY miss touring the US on random-all the sudden trips! Been too long! Think I'll wait til some early spring though? hahaha.
Hello Mark..lol..If I knew you were coming this way I would have a list. I have told Jason many a times that he would lose his mind if he saw what you guys out in Cali have sitting in the junkyards. They are in way better shape then the projects I have done. It is unbelieveable.

I miss touring the states now that gas has gotten so expensive. Sure am glad I got to do it when it was cheaper and I only need to go to North Dakota,Montana,New York and New Jersey to have been to all 50 states.

I do enjoy taking a trip in each project when I get a chance and am finished with it. That instills confidence in it and proves really road worthy when done. Can be a little nerve racking, but the only way to find out. That is another reason I really work on the comfort of a build. No fun if it is miserable to drive.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-02-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Terry, I think there is a company in CA that would do a title in CA.

Here we have to find the owner, some of the older trucks did not have a title and everything was on paper not in computers so it tuff to get it done, I'm not an expert on this issue. But my state is funny about it....
Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Bill..I might have to check out a Cali title. I have heard of some states doing that.I figured California would be one of the most difficult.

I got 2 more days til I get home and then have a few things to get done. Since I sold my flatbed and it was my daily driver and I need a truck all of the time, I plan on getting alot of work done soon. Having a 2 week break, I am ready to get back after it.

Went thru my 86 runner build and will be so happy to get back on it. Just needs windshield,paint and rear axle seal and it will be on the road. I need a truck more at this time but I want runner going soon. Did get to drive it on dads place for a while when I took it up there and think it will be one fun little truck.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build