86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Swimmerboy2112's 1991 Pickup Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by westjohns yota
but anyways back to topic, did you get your header installed yet?
Not yet, he shipped it out yesterday. But im excited lol!

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Brian, .............. You might know this, ...but wrap the header up where it travels down to the collector, after 'removing' the stock manifold 'bracket'. (it has to come off or the header will not fit.... At least, it wouldn't for me, lol).

Can't wait to see it on there.... You'll LOVE IT, and it DOES offer a more throaty sound, on top of the performance aspect(which I can testify to). Even more so with the sound if you end up going with 2.25" to the back/out pipe.
Appreciate the tips/advice Mark. Anything I can do to make this go smoothly.

Sweet, looking forward to have it installed! I do plan on going with a 2.25" exhaust out the back as well as a little surprise ...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Appreciate the tips/advice Mark. Anything I can do to make this go smoothly.

Sweet, looking forward to have it installed! I do plan on going with a 2.25" exhaust out the back as well as a little surprise ...
aHHHHH, Hmmmmmmmmm, .... did you go for the Borla? I love mine!

Oh what am I thinking? You're a tease, you wont tell! lol...

Jk, hope it's koo!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 PM

BTW, I assume you know I meant "Wrap the header in a thick towel or cardboard tight around it".. Cuz otherwise, it get's HACKED up by the 'ping, ding, banggggg'N it can do while trying to guide it through there. I know, it looks CAKE, which is mostly is... but it's tighter than you think when having to get the flange up over the studs.

When you trip out on how THICK that freakin flange is, ...post up here! lol.

PS> Did you order up some new studs, or at least lock nuts for the job? Headers rattle those nuts loose, homie! lol. But seriously, you'll probably have to hit it a few times(or couple) before it stays snug on the lock nuts.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-29-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:52 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
regarding the studs.....ordered Joe's from LC Engineering. If I'm not full of crap, I believe they are configured a bit differently than OEM to accommodate the header flange thickness. Price was reasonable, shipping cost is kinda ...meh.

I know it's a totally different animal (engine), but in order to get Joe's headers in place, had to do it, minus some studs. Had to install those remaining studs after the header was held in place. Not sure what to tell ya as far as a gasket goes...his came with them, you should check LC's site. We also used the COPPER RTV stuff.

have fun man...... looking forward to seeing pics.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im problaly as excited as brian! ok maybe not that excited...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Yeah, Jerry, ... I've posted many times for several people on that... slipped by me this time........

You WILL, most likely, NEED those studs..... BUT, this doesn't mean that you can't find them at a local store. Napa might be able to help, Pep Boys, etc., but they must be around 1/4" longer, due to the thickness of the flange, as Jerry stated, already, lol. Most often it's recommended to change studs when removing all the nuts after 20 YEARS, anyhow, lol. But ESPECIALLY when the flange is almost twice as thick, ya know? The longer portion of the stud needs to go as deep into the head as possible, so it's best to carefully remove the studs and then carefully chase the threads and then carefully, slowly, feeling for binding as you go, insert the new ones. I think I paid 27$ for all 8-10 with nuts? One good thing about LCE... when they say "quick shipping", they mean it! lol... Especially if you call them, speak with Wes, he should expedite it for ya, ya knwow?

Best wishes on this, Brian, you'll love it, I know it. OH, yeah, as Jerry also said, ... if you need a gasket, they will ship one with the studs/nuts for pretty cheap.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:29 AM

i have read your thread and you got a nice truck, i hope the headers work out
Old 10-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Yeah, Jerry, ... I've posted many times for several people on that... slipped by me this time........

You WILL, most likely, NEED those studs..... BUT, this doesn't mean that you can't find them at a local store. Napa might be able to help, Pep Boys, etc., but they must be around 1/4" longer, due to the thickness of the flange, as Jerry stated, already, lol. Most often it's recommended to change studs when removing all the nuts after 20 YEARS, anyhow, lol. But ESPECIALLY when the flange is almost twice as thick, ya know? The longer portion of the stud needs to go as deep into the head as possible, so it's best to carefully remove the studs and then carefully chase the threads and then carefully, slowly, feeling for binding as you go, insert the new ones. I think I paid 27$ for all 8-10 with nuts? One good thing about LCE... when they say "quick shipping", they mean it! lol... Especially if you call them, speak with Wes, he should expedite it for ya, ya knwow?

Best wishes on this, Brian, you'll love it, I know it. OH, yeah, as Jerry also said, ... if you need a gasket, they will ship one with the studs/nuts for pretty cheap.

thanks Mark. Yeh..LCE was a pleasure to deal with. I did get one stud that was overlooked by QC and was not threaded on one side, the immediately sent one out after a quick email and got it right fast too. I did have a negative interaction with them when I was looking at a rebuild kit and under the picture it says something like "may not represent...." and when I asked what was included, the reply was "see the picture"....but that was the only negative .
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 AM

WOW ! I guess I am off topic also but you let some ramble on and when someone asks for help they are ignored . Brian we have to help out! westjohns u-joint ?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM

aHHHHH, Hmmmmmmmmm, .... did you go for the Borla? I love mine!

Oh what am I thinking? You're a tease, you wont tell! lol...

Jk, hope it's koo!
hah its not a surprise about header/exhaust lol. Although while we're on that topic... whats the best header? I always hear good stuff about Borla.

BTW, I assume you know I meant "Wrap the header in a thick towel or cardboard tight around it".. Cuz otherwise, it get's HACKED up by the 'ping, ding, banggggg'N it can do while trying to guide it through there. I know, it looks CAKE, which is mostly is... but it's tighter than you think when having to get the flange up over the studs.

When you trip out on how THICK that freakin flange is, ...post up here! lol.

PS> Did you order up some new studs, or at least lock nuts for the job? Headers rattle those nuts loose, homie! lol. But seriously, you'll probably have to hit it a few times(or couple) before it stays snug on the lock nuts.
Yeah I understand Mark. Thanks for the advice!

Can't wait to get the header so I can check it out for myself!

As far as studs/nuts go I think i'm gonna order the LCEngineering set.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
regarding the studs.....ordered Joe's from LC Engineering. If I'm not full of crap, I believe they are configured a bit differently than OEM to accommodate the header flange thickness. Price was reasonable, shipping cost is kinda ...meh.

I know it's a totally different animal (engine), but in order to get Joe's headers in place, had to do it, minus some studs. Had to install those remaining studs after the header was held in place. Not sure what to tell ya as far as a gasket goes...his came with them, you should check LC's site. We also used the COPPER RTV stuff.

have fun man...... looking forward to seeing pics.
Appreciate the tips! Pics to come!

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
im problaly as excited as brian! ok maybe not that excited...
haha woohoo!

Yeah think i'm just gonna get them from LCE.

Originally Posted by yota721
i have read your thread and you got a nice truck, i hope the headers work out
Much appreciated man!

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
thanks Mark. Yeh..LCE was a pleasure to deal with. I did get one stud that was overlooked by QC and was not threaded on one side, the immediately sent one out after a quick email and got it right fast too. I did have a negative interaction with them when I was looking at a rebuild kit and under the picture it says something like "may not represent...." and when I asked what was included, the reply was "see the picture"....but that was the only negative .
Hmm, glad to hear you had a mostly positive experience.

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
WOW ! I guess I am off topic also but you let some ramble on and when someone asks for help they are ignored . Brian we have to help out! westjohns u-joint ?
Hmm well to be honest I don't have any experience in changing U-joints so I could not comment.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 AM

Since you guys LOVE pics, here you go!

This is from apple picking yesterday in New York state.

Lots of mud! The BF Goodrich A/T's held their own even though I HATE them as a tire.

My Co-pilot
Old 10-03-2011, 08:34 AM

Haha... Good pics... That one of you in the cab, ....your face looks so GIDDY! hahaha. Like a kid about to get his favorite chocolate bar! lol.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 AM

why do you hate the bfg at's? ive heard they are a great rock tire, and snow tire, not the greatest in mud tho
Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM

Haha... Good pics... That one of you in the cab, ....your face looks so GIDDY! hahaha. Like a kid about to get his favorite chocolate bar! lol.
Hahahaha thanks Mark!

Originally Posted by 1986yota4x4
why do you hate the bfg at's? ive heard they are a great rock tire, and snow tire, not the greatest in mud tho
I mean I like them but they tend to clog with mud (like any A/T tire) but what kills me is what happens when I hit puddles. It's like the steering wheel gets ripped out of my hands and frankly it's downright dangerous. I can't say I feel safe with these tires...

My KM2's aren't like that!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM

Been doing some searching, and i'm going to try and fit 33x10.5's on stock suspension!

This thread has helped a lot.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177...-truck-217238/
Old 10-03-2011, 06:17 PM

maybe because they are getting low on tread? mine are brand new and i dont have a problem with them, or maybe your steering stabilizer is bad
Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1986yota4x4
maybe because they are getting low on tread? mine are brand new and i dont have a problem with them, or maybe your steering stabilizer is bad
No they still have real good tread but the stabilizer could be bad...
Old 10-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Been doing some searching, and i'm going to try and fit 33x10.5's on stock suspension!

This thread has helped a lot.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177...-truck-217238/
They should fit. I had 32x11.5 on mine stock and they cleared. Little wide but had 15x10 rims. If you need little roomlift crank torsion slightly. Maybe 1/2" or so tho
Old 10-04-2011, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
They should fit. I had 32x11.5 on mine stock and they cleared. Little wide but had 15x10 rims. If you need little roomlift crank torsion slightly. Maybe 1/2" or so tho
Good to hear! Like I said, the guy in the link I posted ran 33x12.5's with only a little pinch weld trimming. And to be honest, I'd rather trim/hammer the pinch weld then crank the t-bars.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 AM

On Brandon's, only had to hammer a slight bit on the weld.....in the dark....in the snow. probably coulda been alot more precise if we could have seen what we were doing. and his are 33x 12.5's and stock front suspension. I know that the amount of rub is quite individual based on if they are 12.5's or 10.5's and the amount of offset from the wheels. so, in my opinion, it can be done with little or no modification. gearing is another story though.

Quick Reply: Swimmerboy2112's 1991 Pickup Build Thread