86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Swimmerboy2112's 1991 Pickup Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yall can call me josh btw, westjohns my last name haha and cool, guess ill go give him my downpayment tommorow, oh it even comes with tailights and the bed has a nice rubber mat! (i icked it up and checked for rust, there NONE)
Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by westjohns yota
wow thats comeing along nice, i found a bed for mine with ZERO rust, thats right zero and it comes with a hard shell fiberglass topper for 500$, does that seem resonable?
Sounds good to me.

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Swimmer - great find. Looks great, great find
john - it sounds like a hell of a reasonable deal. I payed $300 for my bed
Thanks!

Thing bout Pro Comps, there at 4 wheel parts(there house tire) and you can sometimes gefind them doing buy 3 get 1 specials. I had a set of used 32x11.5r15 pro comp mt on my runner when I had it. Loved them
That's a good deal, can't beat the buy 3 get 1 free.

yall can call me josh btw, westjohns my last name haha and cool, guess ill go give him my downpayment tommorow, oh it even comes with tailights and the bed has a nice rubber mat! (i icked it up and checked for rust, there NONE)
Nice to meet ya man.

But let's try to stay on topic... lol
Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 PM

Installed the following tonight,

-Spark Plugs (NGK)
-Cap
-Rotor
-Plug wires but ended up using the ones that were on the truck already because the new ones had too long of a boot
-Drivers side upper ball joint (Passenger side has a new one)
-Drivers side lower ball joint (Passenger side has a new one)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112

-Spark Plugs (NGK)
-Cap
-Rotor
-Plug wires but ended up using the ones that were on the truck already because the new ones had too long of a boot
Sound like you had a busy night. What cap & rotor you go with? Let us know how those NGKs are.Gotta get knew ones for my 86. Might go with E3, if wife wont kill me for spending that much on plugs Haha. Btw i'm Dan
Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 PM

haha nice to meet u both, hopefully start useing this site more and more but anyways yes back to topic lol, i have the NGKs on my 87 and honestly, there not to bad but thye could be loads better, id do e3 next tune up for sure!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Nice truck, keep the pics coming
Old 09-27-2011, 06:51 PM

Sound like you had a busy night. What cap & rotor you go with? Let us know how those NGKs are.Gotta get knew ones for my 86. Might go with E3, if wife wont kill me for spending that much on plugs Haha. Btw i'm Dan
It was the Denso cap and rotor. Nice to meet ya Dan.

haha nice to meet u both, hopefully start useing this site more and more but anyways yes back to topic lol, i have the NGKs on my 87 and honestly, there not to bad but thye could be loads better, id do e3 next tune up for sure!
Ehh the regular NGK's were good enough for me lol

Originally Posted by OchoOcho
Nice truck, keep the pics coming
I'll get more pics ASAP!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put on new oem from dealer spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires on my 93....Quality is top notch....
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
NOOOOOOO! lol.... OH, wait, ... 'Nice to meet ya, Dan!'... Ok, now, where was I? Oh yeah, ...NOOOOOOOOOO! lol... JK, but seriously? Trust almost every Guru out there, ... "OEM, PERIOD!"

SWEET! Oh, ... and nice to meet you, Josh! lol.

-Spark Plugs (NGK)
-Cap
-Rotor
Nice work! Way to KILL IT! (proverbially, OF COURSE! lol)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol... Denso or NGK, ....they are designed for the 'BEST' precision and PLENTY hot spark! My last set lasted 100K and I'll show you a pic if you want... they STILL look good and it ran like a champ(before it started falling apart in other arenas, last year! hehe)

It was the Denso cap and rotor. Nice to meet ya Dan.

Ehh the regular NGK's were good enough for me lol
WOOT! YES ^^^

I'll get more pics ASAP!
HURRY UP!!!!!! lol. Oh, and saw the same truck with the same cover, etc., ...TEENY bit of lift, 33x10.50's on Outlaw 2's, today.... HOLY SMACKEREL, OL YELLER'MAN! lol...

Originally Posted by john4wd
I just put on new oem from dealer spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires on my 93....Quality is top notch....
John's got the right idea.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 AM

I always put a lot of faith in OEM products. Ever since I had a bad oil filter, i've switched to Toyota filters. They are just as cheap, but I feel like they do a better job than a non-Toyota brand.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM

What wrong with the E3? I know they cost more, but a buddy of mine runs them in his old S10 blazer and loves them. Might try OEM if not to much $$$. Might hit the Yota dealer and see
Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Hey Dan, .....

OH, I'm not saying E3 are bad plugs...... it's just that, well, many things that work well in Chevy's, Jeeps, etc.(Bosch, etc.), are NOT always known for 'working well' with Toyota's, Nissans, Honda's, etc. If you check the threads on any of the big 3 Japanese motors, you'll find much of the same thing, and it's not just a myth. I can't COUNT the times that someone has used aftermarket wires or plugs or cap or rotor or coil or ignitor or AFM or.... you get the point, that they've ran into 'issues'... The 02 Sensor is a great example. Look at blackfogt's build thread right now... he's pulled out a failed bosch 02(at least I think it was) and has pics side by side with the 'Denso' 02.... it's WAY different, and works differently as well(in regards to how it's inner workings read the temp, how deeply the sensor goes into the pipe, etc.).

As I said, ...with this rig, before I rebuilt, I actually put 154K ON THE DENSO'S... not 100k... and they were still working just fine and had good color, etc(which I know has lots to do with other things as well, but STILL, 154k?????? Never had autolites last me that long, if ya know what I mean? lol)

I think there's an issue with some of them burning TOO hot, as well as other things, Dan, .... but I'll just stop here as Swimmers 91 thread seems to be getting derailed quite frequently~! hahaha.

I'll just say "I'm expounding on 'why Brian went OEM with his tune up!' " hahahaha.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 PM

well i hate to do it but ill derail again for a quick second if thats ok? i cant get my ujoint out of the rear of my drive shaft, any ideas? used the vice and socket method and beat on it, no dice ughhhh!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:30 PM

This has gotten mega off topic.....
Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 PM

its got something to do with 22rs and pickup though, atleast were not talkin about what we did today etc etc
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM

This has gotten mega off topic.....

Hahahahaa... Hey, ....I was just giving a shout out to "OEM OR BUST!" lol.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM

lol this is true, fugde it i give up! new thread time
Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 AM

lol this is true, fugde it i give up! new thread time
Woohoo!!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM

but anyways back to topic, did you get your header installed yet?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Brian, .............. You might know this, ...but wrap the header up where it travels down to the collector, after 'removing' the stock manifold 'bracket'. (it has to come off or the header will not fit.... At least, it wouldn't for me, lol).

Can't wait to see it on there.... You'll LOVE IT, and it DOES offer a more throaty sound, on top of the performance aspect(which I can testify to). Even more so with the sound if you end up going with 2.25" to the back/out pipe.

Quick Reply: Swimmerboy2112's 1991 Pickup Build Thread