86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
NO WAY, I don't wanna 'scare' you, per say.... But just keep you 'alert and aware'..... I can't remember all of what is going into this thing, so it might not be necessary if it's the same CAM, same adjusters, same rockers, etc. With a new CAM, you run it 20 minutes in a 'break in procedure' type of way (1500rpm for 10 seconds, 2000rpm for 10 seconds, 2500rpm for 10 seconds.... You know, whatever the recommended break in is by the manufacturer?) When you do that, after break in, you want to change the oil, then run it 500 miles, change oil again, 1500 miles, then back to normal oil changes. And in between, you should always check the valve lash, at least once at say 1000 miles or so, adjust it, and double check the head bolt torque while in there(especially if it's a new Head/HG, block has been decked, head bolt threads chased with new bolts as well, etc., etc.)..ya know?

To be honest.... I had my White runner rebuilt at 100K(some manuf. error)..... At 300K I'd never touched the valves and it ran like a top! lol..... It's just, with an engnbldr cam, etc., they recommend you do things for a reason, ya know? (like "DO NOT torque the tensioner past 12#).

NOT to scare, just keep aware, ya know?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm here at the mechanics house. Hes letting the oil sit for a bit and still has a few hoses to install but for he most part its done. Im just waiting for him to finish. I cant leave now cuz my dad just dropped me off and left.

It looks so shiney! From all those new parts. And the painted Black parts look nice too.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM

SHINY THINGS ARE GOOD! hahahaha. Wow, .... you're stuck there, eh? At least you're stuck there with your long missed baby, eh? hahaha.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Dude she is so freekin dirty with tons of spider webs and tree SAP and leaves and dust n' dirt. She looks like she needs a nice long bath.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM

SAP? oh Lord hahaha..... THAT SUX! So, c'mon, roll it by here and lemme see! hahaha.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Sorry guys. It got too dark before I had a chance to take pix of the improved motor. But ill take some tomorrow. The mechanic told me to drive it around for the next few days and eyeball the oil pressure and tenperature gauges.

And I also asked him about that changing oil u recommended to me. And he told me that yea normally when the engine block is cut that that is when u have to do that process. He said that it isn't nessessary to do that for this. Said just change the oil at 1000miles and it should be fine after that.

It runs sweet. Tons of power compared to my little car and my old 22r pick up. I definitely love the torque it has. It's very sexy. A few things I absolutely need to replace are all the broken and corroded sensors. And air tube connections. Also that whole exhaust system.

I just don't know where to buy all those sensors. I'm guessing a Toyota dealership? But I definitely need to replace all those sensors and broken parts. That will definitely make a huge difference in gas mileage and power. And it'll make it a hell of a lot easier to pass the smog check.

NOTE TO SELF: For Future Reference; The Rebuilt Engine was given back to me with Odometer reading 203,311 miles.

Last edited by Redeth005; 07-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 PM

RIGHT ON! So happy for you, man! VIDEO, QUICK! ......please? hahaha.

I hear ya on the motor... (what he's saying).. I just thought you'd done bearings, rings, etc. ALWAYS change the oil when that's done(or a new cam) PERIOD, ya know? Anyway, yeah, I really wanna see a drive by, man.... I'll PM you my addy tonight! hehe
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 PM

I'll still give it a shot. I'd rather be safe then sorry. so i'll still do it.

Today im gonna go get my whole exhaust system installed. The guy gave me a $280 estimate over the phone but im sure he'll lower the price when i tell him my buddies with the big toyota trucks recomended me to come over here with him.
-2" Piping from front to back
-Catalytic Converter
-and Flowmaster Muffler

I took my previous toy pickup to him before and he did an awesome job on it. and i do remember that he gave me a discount for knowing my off road buddies. So hopefully i get another discount this time around too.

OH and i preordered my toyota heater/AC face for the inside of my truck interface from the Toyota dealership for like $25. I should have that by today too! WOOT!
I wanna order those white-ish lights that make the speedometer and the interface brighter and more vivid with the White,red, and blue colors rather then the ugly stock green lights. Just need to find the user that did that mod again to find out what website he used and the Color of those lights.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-14-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:21 AM

Sorry for not taking pictures again. I waited a long time to do a bunch of projects and i finally got busy and got to work on the truck yesterday. Here is what went down.
1) Went to the muffler shop yesterday and had a new catalytic converter installed, FlowMaster muffler, and 2&1/4 piping on the truck. The guy was gonna charge $347 but ended up doing it all for $300 since he remembered me and my previous truck and because he is friends with my off road friends.
Man having that work done made a huge difference in how fast it drove, smoothness, and take off speed, and best of all sounds like a f'n beast!
- the mechanic mentioned that the cat. was really really clogged and was one reason why I was still using alot of gas(apart from not changing my sensors and o2 sensor) he was like watch when I'm done just give it a test drive around the block and you are gonna see a huge difference. Because the exhaust is able to blow out like its supposed to. And sure enough that truck was SICK!

2) I figured that if I were to go to a junk yard and get the sensors off a truck that I would be taking a chance of them still being broken or messed up somehow so I changed my mind and decided to buy them new. So I went to the Toyota dealership and bought all the sensors that I needed and the filter, and a small 3 air-hose connection that is currently broken AND last but not least a new fan shroud. Everything racking up a price of $471. Then with the associates employee discount it knocked off a few bucks bringing me down to a gramd total of $401. Not bad.... $70 discount. Just because the employee is a huge fan of 3.0 1st gen 4runners and he fell in love with my truck and loved the story of what I had done to it thus far.

3) Last but not least I treated my baby like a queen yesterday by giving her a deep cleaning hand carwash myself. Washed it 2ce then used clay to get all the nasty tree sap off. Then washed it again. I arm-or-all'ed all the black and plastic surfaces(tires, side bumper pieces, front black bumper, and my black faded hard top and inside dashboard. And mud flaps.) And i finally took off that cheesy sticker it had on the top of the windshield. It looked so stupid with that and it was all peeling anyway.
The truck looks great right now. Im very satisfied. Only other thing it needed was to get waxed but it was already dark outside so i ran out of time.

It was a Hell of a busy day, but time well spent.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-15-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 AM

Yesterday while I was at the dealership I requested the "Official" hose diagram because for anyone that's ever had and seen these motors know that these 3.0 V6 motors have tons of hoses everywhere and it can get kind of confusing at times if u don't know(like me) where all the correct placements of those hoses go. And just by looking at the paper they printed out for me I can already see that some are in the wrong spots.

After work I need to drive out to my girl's uncles auto store again and buy an o2 sensor. And get a few more hoses because some hoses are not the right length for where they are supposed to go. And also need to get a better fitting power steering hose because it was too big so the mechanic had to use those clamp things that tighten the hose at the ends to make it work.

I should be getting the parts I ordered from the dealership by Saturday morning.
And the heater/AC face I ordered arrived yesterday as well. It isn't the right one though. This piece has the space for the clock on the left hand side and on my truck its on the right. The Toyota associate told me that that was the only face they have on file for my truck. they checked other years as well and other motor types and it kept being the same answer. There was only that face that exsists on their computer system. And I've seen multiple Toyotas on this sight with the face exactly like mine with the clock on the right and other stuff on the left.

The Toyota associate told me to remove the dash and under the dash there should be some screws that I can take off to move the clock and heater/AC switches from one side to another. So I can make it fit the face that I ordered. Is this true? Can anyone confirm that? Or was it total BS? Please help

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-15-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Seriously, Richard.... I'M SO STOKED FOR YA! What a great update to read.... And you'll laugh, but I'm subscribed to so many threads... I FORGOT it was a 3.0!!! hahaha.

Sounds "sick!", .. just as you'd expected/hoped
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM

Oh yea man. Like I said it was a busy day yesterday. I'm just really stoked at the sound of the truck now. That exhaust set up makes a big difference in how it feels and how it sounds. It just roars lol. Almost sounds similar to a mustang. It's a very sexy sound. Lol
All it needs now is some good headers for more horse power and even better flow. Can't wait!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You did too much at once now its gonna break something lol sounds like your treating her right we need some pics of all this progress
Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM

aww man why'd you have to go there and say that. Now I'm gonna have bad luck lol.

Well I'm looking forward to doing all of these upcoming projects.
Other then replacing everything I mentioned on the previous post my next project is gonna be the intake followed by headers. And then gather everything that is missing for the SAS. It's gonna take a while to get all this stuff done but I want the truck in ship shape condition before I even begin on the lift and sas. Gotta get all the important stuff out of the way first ya know.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-15-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The face plate that has the clock on the left is for the 89-95 trucks, Your truck will have the clock on the right. The dealer probably thought yours was the next generation of truck as the 89 runner is confusing to some as they extended the 4runner one more year and switched bodystyles on the pickups in 89. Ask them for a face plate for an 88. As far as I know you cant change sides on the clock. Never thought or tried it so it maybe possible. I am not sure it is.

Sounds like you are getting quite a bit done. Good planning on getting it going first before starting upgrades. I learned the hardway about trying to upgrade and if there is a problem you really dont have a starting point on troubleshooting.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM

thanks Terry

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The face plate that has the clock on the left is for the 89-95 trucks, Your truck will have the clock on the right. The dealer probably thought yours was the next generation of truck as the 89 runner is confusing to some as they extended the 4runner one more year and switched bodystyles on the pickups in 89. Ask them for a face plate for an 88. As far as I know you cant change sides on the clock. Never thought or tried it so it maybe possible. I am not sure it is.

Sounds like you are getting quite a bit done. Good planning on getting it going first before starting upgrades. I learned the hardway about trying to upgrade and if there is a problem you really dont have a starting point on troubleshooting.
Thanks alot for that info. I'm gonna look into it. I'll make sure to take the part to them and ask about it tomorrow when i go pick up the sensors from the dealership.
And yea, I've learned to learn from other peoples mistakes over the years and have seen impatient people upgrade everthing on the exterior of their trucks/cars rather then the stuff that really matters that gets you from point A to point B. And it usually ends up being a total disater almost in every case, because they always end up with no money left over. And they have this kick ass looking truck but cant drive it anywhere because its all broken down lol then you feel like kicking yourself in the A$$ like --->

I'd rather work on looks after i know it runs like a champ. at least i know even though it might look like a bucket, which it doesn't, mine will out perform other's by a long shot.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:10 PM

Got this button for the rear window at a junk yard the other day to replace the old temporary button.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice looking build you got going on here, ill def be watching to see whats next! lol
Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Changed my o2 sensor today. It was all charred and rusted to hell. Glad I replaced it with a brand new one.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-15-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by yota864x4
nice looking build you got going on here, ill def be watching to see whats next! lol
Thanks yota864x4, I'm trying to do good with this truck in every way possible. I just want everything I do to this truck done right the first time around so its taking a while to get everything I want out of the way. But as of right now the next thing on the list is gonna be my air sensors and the Fan Shroud that i should be getting in by tomorrow. I'll definitely post some pix of those up(if they come in). I'll post some pix of the old/broken/brittle/chalky sensors then pix of the new ones and I'll try to take a short video of how the rebuild job I had done looks under the hood and the exhaust looks and sounds.

Quick Reply: Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection