86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

New to me 87 4runner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had an exhaust put on my truck a while back and on my 4Runner and my local mom and pop shop had a manual with the exact factory specifications in it. When it was done, it looked exactly like the factory had done it when he completed it. Not sure if all shops have a manual like that or not.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one from walker looks identical to the one I pulled off of the 4runner. And that was the original exhaust. I was surprised how easy and perfectly it matched up being that it was aftermarket.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chbarnha
This one from walker looks identical to the one I pulled off of the 4runner. And that was the original exhaust. I was surprised how easy and perfectly it matched up being that it was aftermarket.
You wouldn't happen to have the part # for the exhaust by chance would you?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 PM

On the walker exhaust systems website it comes up as 46919.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:39 PM

On the walker exhaust systems website it comes up as 46919.
Thanks, that should be a big improvement over my "temporary fix" I did on my exhaust!
Old 05-02-2016, 01:14 AM

Yeah that new exhaust should fix you right up. I haven't done much the last few days, but im a get back on it shortly. The Killer Toy Tops sunbrella bikini top I ordered came in, but its supposed to rain the next 5 days so I haven't put it on yet.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:37 PM

I now have to find a gasket to go between my topper and the cab. During a torrential downpour today it began leaking. I called the dealership in town and they say they don't carry it anymore. Has anybody used regular "weatherstripping" in between the two? It doesn't look like I will be able to find a factory replacement so im going to have to figure something out.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:55 PM

I would bet you could take the weather stripping from a mini van sliding door and make it work
Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM

I now have to find a gasket to go between my topper and the cab. During a torrential downpour today it began leaking. I called the dealership in town and they say they don't carry it anymore. Has anybody used regular "weatherstripping" in between the two? It doesn't look like I will be able to find a factory replacement so im going to have to figure something out.
Originally Posted by 92ehatch
I would bet you could take the weather stripping from a mini van sliding door and make it work
no one sells the weather stripping anymore, which is not cool. There's alot of us out here who want new weather stripping. My truck leaks from under the side sliding windows.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:15 PM

I was thinking about just using something like this thinking it may work... but im not sure. Thinking fix the adhesive side to the cab and have the foam side against the topper. http://www.tmhardware.com/Weatherstr...mper-Tape.html
Old 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Old 05-02-2016, 05:51 PM

I was referring to going to a scrap yard and yanking the weather stripping from the door on a minivan.

Usually a van has thicker weather stripping in the sliding doors and some nice straight sections.

Most of the time they are held on with banana clips which would be easy to deal with.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:14 PM

well I could try that too, didn't think about that. I was thinking maybe the adhesive may stick on the cab side and seal up tight with the topper pushed against it. Its only leaking in one spot right beside one of the top bolts to hold the topper on.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:20 AM

That would probably work fine as well
Old 05-08-2016, 04:25 PM

I finally had enough of the leaking windshield. I was thinking about getting a new one installed but as there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one that is in it other than the fact it leaks I decided to try something. Yeah I saw some of the flex seal in the store and thought hey maybe this will work. I took painters tape and taped off the top of the windshield and the cab. I left a little exposed of both to give it material to bond too. Im hoping this works, because if so I will do the whole outer edge of the windshield with it. It comes out very thick, but the finished product doesn't look bad at all I don't think. it says to put several coats, so we will see how it works out.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:27 PM

Really hoping that this works!

Old 05-08-2016, 06:46 PM

Im at work debating ordering the equipment and supplies necessary to knock out these rust holes. Body work is new to me for the most part and I was wondering if yall would recommend bondo or something from evercoat. Also if you are recommending the evercoat would you recommend the short hair fiberglass or the long hair fiberglass. I have watched a few videos but am not sure what the pros and cons are of both. I was thinking the long hair fiberglass may be more structurally strong. is that a correct assumption?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:31 PM

I just ordered these on a spur of the moment deal. Buddy of mine works at a tire shop on the side. Told me that he has a mother day sale. Gave me a couple prices. Im getting the whole set for 400. It was kind of hard to pass a set of tires up at over 200 dollars off. Not exactly something I was planning on buying at the moment.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:48 PM

Im at work debating ordering the equipment and supplies necessary to knock out these rust holes. Body work is new to me for the most part and I was wondering if yall would recommend bondo or something from evercoat. Also if you are recommending the evercoat would you recommend the short hair fiberglass or the long hair fiberglass. I have watched a few videos but am not sure what the pros and cons are of both. I was thinking the long hair fiberglass may be more structurally strong. is that a correct assumption?
I'm curious on the differences as well, I'm also new to body work. I was planning on trying to make metal patches and weld them in, but some of the holes are pretty big, and would be hard to duplicate the shapes. I'm thinking fiberglass would be a good alternative. I haven't even started doing any research on it yet, I need to start if I'm going to get the exterior ready for some Monstaliner any time soon!

I just ordered these on a spur of the moment deal. Buddy of mine works at a tire shop on the side. Told me that he has a mother day sale. Gave me a couple prices. Im getting the whole set for 400. It was kind of hard to pass a set of tires up at over 200 dollars off. Not exactly something I was planning on buying at the moment.

Awesome score on the tires, they look pretty aggressive, what size did you go with?

Last edited by rustED; 05-08-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:09 PM

I went with 31x10.50 again. I eventually want to go bigger but that will be a little bit. When I decide to do that ill have to just get new tires again. Ive been reading about it tonight at work and it looks like either short or long hair fiberglass is what I need to go with, and then a light layer of body filler to smooth out the fiberglass after that at least from what I can gather. What exactly do you do for work anyway? Seems like we are pretty much on the same schedule.

Quick Reply: New to me 87 4runner...