86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

New to me 87 4runner...

Old 05-31-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 87 4runner...

Kinda excited to finally find one of these, but not totally sure what exactly the plan is for it yet. It has 288,000 on the clock but according to the guy I bought it from it has a rebuilt 22re from approx 60k miles ago. Ive known the guy forever and have no reason to take him at his word. It has very minimal rust and that should be no problem to take care of. I noticed driving it home last night and today two issues which I need to work out before any of the upgrades/ modifications i would like to put on it happen. I want the truck to be mechanically sound before I build it up so to speak.

1. The first problem I noticed is that the high beams work when you use the momentary brights, but the continous brights do not work. I have no idea where to start on this but need to figure it out.

2. The second problem im having which didnt occur when i was looking at it is that sometimes it takes several cranks to get it to run. The truck runs good after you get it going but it sometimes takes a minute. Also sometimes it has a very low idle after starting it until you give it gas. Really never messed with a EFI truck as my original toyota was a carburated 84. Really have no idea on where to start with that issue.

I ended up getting the truck for 2500 which to me seems like a good deal, but i guess the gremlins need to be worked out some. If anybody has any suggestions on how to fix the 2nd problem i would appreciate it. Once i get those two issues fixed it will be upgrades from there on out.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:18 PM

Ive known the guy forever and have no reason to take him at his word. Is this a bad thing??? Looks good cant way to see your plans for a build
Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 PM

Meant to say no reason not to take him at his word...
Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First is the headlight relay. Second is probably dirt. Change the oil & filter. Start using Luca's brand injector cleaner in the tank. You have a bad temperature sensor on the engine near the water outlet at the top.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:29 PM

Ill have to look into the headlight relay, but that will take back burner to the motor issue. I dont need high beams. Im already planning on changing the oil and filter as well as doing some other minor things. Being that I havent ever had a EFI 22r I didnt think about using injector cleaner, but some of that will be going in tomorrow morning.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:46 PM

Once i get that issue fixed it will be time to tackle the little bit of rust on the passenger side and then paint. Would eventually like to lift and go to 4.88 gears to push some 33's. The guy i bought it from had a aftermarket tube bumper on it, but hit a deer going 65 last year and needless to say that bumper was shot. One of those will be in the works as well.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:53 PM

Well, no pictures as i really didnt do too much to it yet, but I got the issue fixed for the most part. It is running well, although every now and then the truck will be hard to start, and smell rich. But it is running great other than that. I ordered a wabfab softtop for it yesterday and plan on taking it to the beach this weekend. Undecided on whether the top will be off or on for the weekend.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Nice 4Runner.

You should do a search about WabFab on here. There's a reason he's banned.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that thing is nice!!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:20 PM

Nervo, i found the reviews you are speaking of, quite discouraging... how about Killer Toy Tops, how do they stack up?
Old 06-12-2015, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice looking runner you have. On the head light issue, on my 88 runner link in my signature, on the the first page, is information on cleaning the head light combo switch. Usually a dirty contact that needs cleaned to get the high beams to work.

On the hard to start issue, I would clean the intake system from all the carbon build up, clean all the sensors, check that all vac lines are in great shape and routed correctly and not leaking, fuel system is in great shape, from the tank to the motor and back to the tank.

Check our vendors list when ordering parts, we keep it updated with the ones that dont have issues. We have banned a few recently. If they are not on the list, I would suggest doing a search on them before ordering.

Looking forward to your build.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by chbarnha
Nervo, i found the reviews you are speaking of, quite discouraging... how about Killer Toy Tops, how do they stack up?

People love Killer Toy Tops. I'm not fond of the bump toward the rear of it. I have a http://www.softopper.com/toyota/toyota-4runner I see the price has gone up. There's someone on here with a couple of used Kayline tops for $200 and they are okay. I used to have one. They aren't made anymore.

edit: When I ordered the Softopper a couple of years ago it arrived very fast.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:21 PM

Today the truck as normal starts fine when I initially start it. Then it took 4 cranks to get it to start after it sits for a little while. I guess its really not an issue as long as it keeps starting, but some of the times it cranks and starts and then shuts off after bogging down. It almost seems to me like maybe I have a faulty injector, the trucks seems to smell rich when I do get it started. I dont know, i work 12 hour midnights for the next 5 nights, but then friday I will try to start digging into the issue. I know that I enjoy driving this thing more than my 93 xtra cab, just gotta work a few things out.

Last edited by chbarnha; 06-14-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:24 PM

Been a while since I have been on here with this 4runner. Its currently broke, but the tax check just came in and that's all about to change. Have to drop a transmission in it and a new clutch. Also need to start addressing the rust issues. I did just order a killer toy top bikini top for it for the summer excursions. Thank god for a tax check so I can get this thing back on the road.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:19 AM

So before I order new shoes for this thing, will 33x10.50s work with the stock sr5 wheels without a lift? I like the full wheel well look, but will lift it if it is necessary. I have other wheels too, but want to go back to the sr5 wheels.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:12 PM

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I want to keep the sr5 wheels especially if they will fit 33x10.50 without a lift.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you could fit them and be fine when driving on pavement, but the front might rub slightly if you were in off camber situations when 4 wheeling and turning sharply. A lot of people grind and hammer in the pinch weld seam in the front wheel well to get more clearance.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:53 PM

Thanks, that's what I had seen, and thought I understood. But I was trying to confirm. thanks for the help rusted.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chbarnha
Thanks, that's what I had seen, and thought I understood. But I was trying to confirm. thanks for the help rusted.
Not a problem. What tires are you thinking about getting?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:06 PM

Dick Cepek Extreme Country or the KM2. Still on the fence

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 87 4runner...