86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Melrose 4runner 1986 restomod summer beach truck

Old 06-15-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 826 Likes on 553 Posts
Melrose 4runner 1986 restomod summer beach truck

HI All,
Coming at you from Melrose MA, right near Boston. Just bought my 1986 in MAY and towed it back to CT from Maryland on Roadkill-inspired road trip. Then put a new battery, plates and slave cylinder in and proudly rolled from CT back to Boston under it's own power for the first time since the PO garaged it 6 months ago in MD. PO is in the US ARMY and the truck was brought in from Korea at some point about 6 years ago. I picked up a never-installed KAYLINE soft top in Pennsylvania and that install will be completed tonight(time permitting).

Back in the 90's I had an '84 4runner that I resurrected from the dead, installed a soft top etc., and today I'm doing the same with the help of my 13 year old son. He calls it my "deja-vu" truck because I keep talking about doing the same repairs on this one that I did on the other many years ago.

The plan is to fix the mechanicals first, so it passes MA state inspection, then drive it as a summer fun vehicle to the beach...then eventually fix the body up.
The short list includes lower ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, wheel bearing, window tint removal(too dark for state inspection)
All easy stuff.

I've already used the forum for lots of inquiries.
Items already fixed - rear door cable, seat cables, top removed, pushbar removed, side steps removed.

I'll post a video and more photos soon! Happy to be here!
Melrose
Attached Thumbnails Melrose 4runner 1986 restomod summer beach truck-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jhoward (11-23-2020)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
I like the paint scheme! Please post more pics.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Beautiful truck, cool that you get to relive it all again with your son.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With the exception of the tires, that beast looks like it rolled right off the dealership floor. Nice find. Can't wait to see the interior.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by jakey poo
I like the paint scheme! Please post more pics.
thanks! It's very '80s. I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me. It is actual paint, and stays for now.
Some of the body panels have a strange coating like a bedliner but there is very little rust through and the frame and underside are mint. it has never seen a salty winter road.

interior is gray, was very gross. I spent 3 hours with a rented rug doctor to get the upholstery presentable.more work to be done.all the plastic parts are good and it looks like the top had never been off. Even the back window worked!

runs very well but idles lower than it should when cold. Any ideas on what to check?

Last edited by Melrose 4r; 06-15-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Beautiful truck, cool that you get to relive it all again with your son.
thanks, it needs a lot of work but all small stuff. I told him he would get to learn to drive on it. It suddenly became very cool after that!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Pls tell us if auto or manual, and I suggest you put model-year-engine-transmission on your signature. Helps with a lot of things.

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
...Back in the 90's I had an '84 4runner that I resurrected from the dead, installed a soft top etc., and today I'm doing the same with the help of my 13 year old son. He calls it my "deja-vu" truck because I keep talking about doing the same repairs on this one that I did on the other many years ago....
This ^^^ is my favorite part.

pushbar removed, side steps removed....
Good! I was about to comment on that - LOL!

interior is gray, was very gross. I spent 3 hours with a rented rug doctor to get the upholstery presentable...
I took my carpet off, scrubbed the area where master clutch cylinder leaked fluid with Fast Orange and and threw everything in front loading clothes washer. Worked well. Repeated spraying with Febreeze, scrubbing, then vacuuming made the upholstery smell fresher, too.

runs very well but idles lower than it should when cold. Any ideas on what to check?
After doing your usual fluids maintenance, checking ignition components, etc, it would be a good idea to get a timing light with tachometer and check that. Spec advance is 5 degrees. I'm currently trying 8 degrees on mine. MPG seems better than at 5 degrees. I cannot feel any change in power or acceleration.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Welcome to the forum. Pls tell us if auto or manual, and I suggest you put model-year-engine-transmission on your signature. Helps with a lot of things.

This ^^^ is my favorite part.

Good! I was about to comment on that - LOL!

I took my carpet off, scrubbed the area where master clutch cylinder leaked fluid with Fast Orange and and threw everything in front loading clothes washer. Worked well. Repeated spraying with Febreeze, scrubbing, then vacuuming made the upholstery smell fresher, too.

After doing your usual fluids maintenance, checking ignition components, etc, it would be a good idea to get a timing light with tachometer and check that. Spec advance is 5 degrees. I'm currently trying 8 degrees on mine. MPG seems better than at 5 degrees. I cannot feel any change in power or acceleration.
thanks, radrunner. The engine trans is 22re/5 spd. Original, i think, with 178k on it and a recent head gasket. I am having trouble figuring out how to create a signature...
Old 06-16-2017, 03:44 AM

Here's a video link to part 1 of the roadtrip in which we retrieve the 4r from MD and make it move under it's own power once again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Melrose 4r:
hurricanes (02-01-2023), swampedout (08-10-2020)
Old 06-16-2017, 07:01 AM

Got my signature figured out...
Old 06-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Did you install the Kayline? 4Crawler.com sells a system that uses factory bolt holes so you don't have to drill 10,000 holes in your truck. I had a Kayline on my '88 and the holes do not show after you put the hard top back on. All those holes made me nervous. Maybe dab some paint in the holes if you do drill them. Congrats on the nice find.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Did you install the Kayline? 4Crawler.com sells a system that uses factory bolt holes so you don't have to drill 10,000 holes in your truck. I had a Kayline on my '88 and the holes do not show after you put the hard top back on. All those holes made me nervous. Maybe dab some paint in the holes if you do drill them. Congrats on the nice find.
its mostly installed. I drilled all the holes in the truck but still have to drill about 20 more into the aluminum rails i mounted. But the temp drpped outside so i am waiting until its in the 80s again Sunday to finish because i want the top to be more stretchy. It's a pretty crappy design and i remember thinking the same thing back in 90's! I'll check out 4crawler.com.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Was your Kayline top the one that was on eBay for a couple years, maybe in Scranton? I've been eyeballing that thing for a while and considered heading up there on the way to visit my parents at some point. Glad someone finally bought it, now I can stop thinking about it.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
Was your Kayline top the one that was on eBay for a couple years, maybe in Scranton? I've been eyeballing that thing for a while and considered heading up there on the way to visit my parents at some point. Glad someone finally bought it, now I can stop thinking about it.
ha! Yup, that was it! Owner really, really, really did not want to ship it.
he has a built 22re longblock he'd like to sell also. Just doesnt have his 4runner anymore.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I noticed he made it very clear he would not ship or lower the price in the listing.

Still a sweet deal for a Kayline, but I always thought he could've sold in just a few days for his asking price + shipping if he'd just offered it as an option.

I rebuilt my engine last year so I sure hope I don't need a long block any time soon!
Old 06-17-2017, 06:12 PM

Today's progress included replacing the driver's window regulator, finding some previous owner made a mess with dynamat in there,
peeling off all the purple window tint, replacing the decrepit shifter boot with an ebay one, pulling the wiper arms, sanblasting the rust off and painting them black again. Also tried a spring i bought at the hardware store for the passenger seat. Not strong enough to move the seat forward, will have to get a stronger one.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:16 PM

Also went to Napa and ordered many new parts- upper and lower ball joints, idler arm,all tie rod ends and a clutch master cyl.
that will keep us busy for a while!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great looking runner and great to hear you getting to go back in time with your kid on this truck. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stripers unite! Does your truck have any evidence of a previously installed visor above the windshield? My 4runner was dealer upgraded in the 80's as a package that included stripes, 31's, a bull bar, visor, front window guards and a bug deflector. Yours has a lot of those same elements and your stripes aren't factory vinyl so I'm wondering if yours may have been as well. I look forward to seeing your truck progress. I learned to wrench from my Dad; your son will never forget the memories from this build up. Good luck and happy Father's Day!

Josch
Old 06-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
Also went to Napa and ordered many new parts- upper and lower ball joints, idler arm,all tie rod ends and a clutch master cyl.
that will keep us busy for a while!
BTW, I found that Summit Racing was cheaper than NAPA on quality replacement parts and offer free shipping on most orders (I think you've gotta spend a certain amount). Any who. I got MOOG BJ's and TRE's from Summit for cheaper than I could find them anywhere else and their customer service is on point. I had a couple of returns/exchanges in the past couple of months and they made it very simple and painless. Not paid by Summit btw. I wish I were. It's actually quite the opposite. I pay them.
The following users liked this post:
swampedout (08-10-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Melrose 4runner 1986 restomod summer beach truck