86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

magnet18 1986 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by flg8r22
Great use of space but its gonna hurt doing a lay up
Thanks!
Also, sorry mate, I don't follow the layup comment...?
Old 06-24-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe its the pic or just my ole man eyes but it looks like youll take a rib shot going to that basketball hoop lol
Old 06-24-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
Maybe its the pic or just my ole man eyes but it looks like youll take a rib shot going to that basketball hoop lol
Oh now I got it!!
Forgot what the word layup meant, i thought pull up and got confused
way too much tonight

That's the landlords, he said a year ago he was gonna take it, I've never used it
Old 06-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Nice top holder Rob! I'm going to guess by some of your word choices that you are not a native.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Goin topless!!!
Sweet to go topless! I did it only when my cap was at bodyshop being painted.
If only I had a place to store my top.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-25-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Nice top holder Rob! I'm going to guess by some of your word choices that you are not a native.
Shoot, I said mate didn't I, I'm picking up bad british habits.

Midwest born and raised, but the old man works with brits all the time, and my sister in law has a british boyfriend I've been hanging out with a lot ...
and i watch a LOT of top gear...

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Sweet to go topless! I did it only when my cap was at bodyshop being painted.
If only I had a place to store my top.
Yea, it's unfortunately unmanageable for just one person, especially without an overhead lift. It can stand on end though, for sticking in the corner of the living room
Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 PM

In other news, cleaned the CSI timer and coolant temp sensor (and VSV, even though it isn't hooked to anything...)
No change with the hard start issue. Nowhere as clean as Rays though. Ray, what did you use to clean yours??

Also noticed I'm idling high even with the idle adjust screw all the way in. and it smells rich (has since I got it though).
Some mornings I blow a bit of white smoke.
Something isn't right somewhere. Need to browse the FSM

EDIT
clean, not change. my bad.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work with the top holder/ rack, I need to do something like that in my carport now that the weather is warming up and becoming more predictable. Hope you get the other issues figured out. I had the hard start issue this last winter and had to clean the csi timer and cooling temp sensor. It worked for awhile, then happened again so I cleaned them again (not as good as Ray either) and haven't had a problem since cleaning them the second time.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
Nice work with the top holder/ rack, I need to do something like that in my carport now that the weather is warming up and becoming more predictable. Hope you get the other issues figured out. I had the hard start issue this last winter and had to clean the csi timer and cooling temp sensor. It worked for awhile, then happened again so I cleaned them again (not as good as Ray either) and haven't had a problem since cleaning them the second time.
Thanks, it was pretty easy, i can post a detailed write-up if anyone's interested, it only took me a couple hours

Good to know the sensors could still be suspect. I'll get my meter abd check resistance and maybe try vinegar or clr or something to get those threads clean.

Is the area they screw into supposed to be full of coolant?
Mine was not, i assumed it drains out as soon as the water pump shuts off, could be an issue thou
Old 07-06-2017, 10:06 AM

Well... that's new...
Hoped it was the thermostat, but i heard the radiator gurgling when I got out. It wasn't even hot today. Really scratching my head. Hopefully it is just the thermostat.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by magnet18
Well... that's new...
Hoped it was the thermostat, but i heard the radiator gurgling when I got out. It wasn't even hot today. Really scratching my head. Hopefully it is just the thermostat.
Not overflowing? Mine did not show oveeheating when I drove up a mountain road, but when I stopped, it overflowed. I did my mountain thing, refilled it at day's end and all was good.
I you need a dual-stage tstat, I posted OEM brand and PN on Grego92's Tstat post. Same thing that LCE sells before it was put inside a Toyota box.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:47 AM

Not overflowing? Mine did not show oveeheating when I drove up a mountain road, but when I stopped, it overflowed. I did my mountain thing, refilled it at day's end and all was good.
I you need a dual-stage tstat, I posted OEM brand and PN on Grego92's Tstat post. Same thing that LCE sells before it was put inside a Toyota box.
Overflowing is what I assumed the gurgling sound was, but when I checked after work the reservoir was empty (a few drops at the bottom)
Drove home no issues, but also no stops

Filled up when I got home, radiator was about half a gallon low. Not sure why.

I'll look at the dual stage tstat, thanks
Old 07-07-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A simple
​​faulty radiator cap can cause those symptoms as well. Alot cheaper than a tstat too
Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
A simple
​​faulty radiator cap can cause those symptoms as well. Alot cheaper than a tstat too
Yes, Definitely hoping it's just this. ^^^

Overflowing is what I assumed the gurgling sound was, but when I checked after work the reservoir was empty (a few drops at the bottom)
Drove home no issues, but also no stops
Filled up when I got home, radiator was about half a gallon low. Not sure why.
I'll look at the dual stage tstat, thanks
Yes, it did overflow, and reservoir overflowed, too. After it cooled down while you were at work radiator sucked whatever coolant remained in the reservoir.
I hope it's just the cap and not HG.
Our Civic once blew the radiator filler from the neck up. Try starting it while cold with radiator cap off and seeing if it splashes more than from vibration and from water pump circulation?
Old 07-08-2017, 03:55 AM

Thanks, I'll look into a new radiator cap as well

Couple days ago I backed off the idle adjust, even though it wants to idle high, because it felt strangled. Been starting better since then.

hopped in it this morning and it fired right up, 15 min drive and parked it, it's actually idling properly, jumped out and saw this

Anything to worry about? After warming up a few minutes more it started to lessen.
Any other car i wouldn't think twice, so I'm betting I'm being real paranoid with this, but a second opinion would help
Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 AM

Started up with the cap off, no vibration or bubbling to speak of, just quickly rose up and overflowed

​​​​​In other news, a quick upgrade to the lift makes me much more comfortable leaving it unattended. I was worried a good gust would work one of those hooks loose
Old 07-08-2017, 09:53 PM

...hopped in it this morning and it fired right up, 15 min drive and parked it, it's actually idling properly, jumped out and saw this...
Anything to worry about? After warming up a few minutes more it started to lessen.
Any other car i wouldn't think twice, so I'm betting I'm being real paranoid with this, but a second opinion would help
Started up with the cap off, no vibration or bubbling to speak of, just quickly rose up and overflowed
I see that on mine n the morning, too. Depending on weather I think.
Sounds normal, then. I'd just watch the coolant level. I usually write on my reservoir tank when I fill it to the max. Good baseline if suspecting anything.
​​​​​In other news, a quick upgrade to the lift makes me much more comfortable leaving it unattended. I was worried a good gust would work one of those hooks loose
I would feel safer threading the screw-link into both the loop of the strap an the ring. Less potential points of failure.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:34 AM

I see that on mine n the morning, too. Depending on weather I think.
Sounds normal, then. I'd just watch the coolant level. I usually write on my reservoir tank when I fill it to the max. Good baseline if suspecting anything.
Cool, thanks for the second opinion!
I ordered an OEM radiator cap, haven't had any issues the last few days since refilling, so hopefully that's all that is.
I would feel safer threading the screw-link into both the loop of the strap an the ring. Less potential points of failure.
me too, but there's no way to get the ring out short of cutting it. this way they can still be used as normal straps. Plus the straps are rated for 1000lbs each, and seeing about 40, so the whole thing is seriously overkill.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:37 AM

In other news,
went by the rubber store and got me some New Rubbers!

I just went with cooper discoverers AT3. they are rated highly and were on sale, and in stock

After that switch and an alignment, it's like driving on silk!

Old 07-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Also the mud tires I had are up for grabs if anyone is interested
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f11/.../#post52370823

Quick Reply: magnet18 1986 build thread