86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Great work, Ian, ..

Happy you're liking the ride. How is the 5 turns of the t-bars working out? Also liked the insulation work! Nice rig, Ian.... It's looking really nice. I have to read back as to what you're doing with the rear cargo area... interesting, from what I could see.

HEY, it's JDS!^^^ Another rig I like! lol.
thank you, thank you...

5 turns, not too bad. i'm thinking about another 2.5 this weekend, but not much more than that.

rear cargo area, as in the bed? haha, just putting in a platform with carpet and some lighting. and a tv, and a heater, and maybe a ps2

somewhere outside the truck i want to put a rack (roof or hitch mount) to put water, gas, firewood, etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I LOVE my hitch mounted Carrier... You've seen it, I believe. Thing has a 500# capacity, and with everything out of it, or even things not so tall, the tailgate opens, easy. Got mine at Harbor Freight for 45$ on sale, I believe. Got a lock for it at Kragen, Masterlock, for 18$ and already had plenty of cable locks and straps, bungies, etc. lol. I know roof ones are more practical in some ways... and these are in others. MUCH easier to get stuff out of, BUT, not great for heading through creeks up to the bumper! lol. Heck, even then, I think it'd be fine. It's just obviously gonna increase chances for bottoming out in the rear. Whatever you do, if you get a hitch mounted one.... DO NOT get aluminum.....they crush like tin cans. Heck, I'd like to have both, rear and roof, but it's just the last thing on my list, getting one through my top, and this was good to go in 20 min., pack and HEAD OUT TO THE MOUNTAINS! lol. Someday, I'd love to HAVE IT ALLLLLLL!!!! hahahaha. Jk, ...........kinda, lol.

Oh yeah, and "rear cargo area"??? NOT SURE what happened there. Just brain farted... sorry, lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-08-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 PM

I still have to adjust my hitch, it was probably bent down whenever the guy got that lil smack and mangled the bumper....so it's a lil droopy, lol. I'm also thinking of getting an ATV one, it angled upward 7" then back straight, for the basket, so you don't have to worry about bottoming out with it, lol... But it has a much lower weight capacity.

Best wishes on whatever you do next, Ian!

Mark
Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 AM

thanks for the input, mark. really helpful. i like the ease of loading one of those, but my thing is that i also have a this that i wanna put somewhere.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianrab/3733583751/
maybe i'll end up making some sort of combo bike/cargo rack

i won't be crossing too many creeks, so that's not an issue. my only concern is running into things. i bent up the family bike rack on a rock that fit perfectly into my blind spot
Old 11-09-2010, 05:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have to adjust my hitch, it was probably bent down whenever the guy got that lil smack and mangled the bumper....so it's a lil droopy, lol. I'm also thinking of getting an ATV one, it angled upward 7" then back straight, for the basket, so you don't have to worry about bottoming out with it, lol... But it has a much lower weight capacity.

Best wishes on whatever you do next, Ian!

Mark
I don't mean to hijack the thread but it looks like you are in New Mexico in that pic...

Old 11-09-2010, 05:55 AM

ha, i forgot to post this last night.

so i'm coming home from school (about 2335) and i'm in the left lane out of 3 lanes. normally, i would ride the center till i had to turn, but because of the lack of cars on the road at that hour of night, i got into the left, which is where i needed to be for my turn. anyhow, as i'm driving, a beamer comes up behind me, flashes the highs, and proceeds to pass me on the right . of course, the light ahead turns red, so i figure, what the heck. i get over a lane and sit behind him at the light with my highs on. and after cranking the t-bars, that's right in his rear window. he took off and i got back in the left lane once the light turned green. best 5 mins of my day.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
ha, i forgot to post this last night.

so i'm coming home from school (about 2335) and i'm in the left lane out of 3 lanes. normally, i would ride the center till i had to turn, but because of the lack of cars on the road at that hour of night, i got into the left, which is where i needed to be for my turn. anyhow, as i'm driving, a beamer comes up behind me, flashes the highs, and proceeds to pass me on the right . of course, the light ahead turns red, so i figure, what the heck. i get over a lane and sit behind him at the light with my highs on. and after cranking the t-bars, that's right in his rear window. he took off and i got back in the left lane once the light turned green. best 5 mins of my day.
I love doing that to a**holes who drive like idiots. A while with my PIAA 520's directly in their rearview mirror always gets my point across.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
I love doing that to a**holes who drive like idiots. A while with my PIAA 520's directly in their rearview mirror always gets my point across.

speaking of which, i need some new fog lights for the front...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:10 AM

speaking of which, i need some new fog lights for the front...
I have a pair of PIAA 520 ATP's and I couldn't be happier with them. I already had fog lights on the lower valance so I went with the ATP pattern and they are the perfect cross between a driving light and fog light. I bought mine from an authorized dealer on eBay for $200, so they weren't terribly expensive either...just my $0.02

Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 AM

thanks for the input, mark. really helpful. i like the ease of loading one of those, but my thing is that i also have a this that i wanna put somewhere.

maybe i'll end up making some sort of combo bike/cargo rack

i won't be crossing too many creeks, so that's not an issue. my only concern is running into things. i bent up the family bike rack on a rock that fit perfectly into my blind spot
Yeah, well any serious DIP can get it skiddin, lol... but I did some wheeling and didn't have any issues. Just saying, if I was gonna do MEDIUM/SERIOUS wheeling, ...I might take it off and lock it to a tree, lol. Far as the bike, I'm pretty sure they already have kits that allow you to put the bike behind the basket, with an attachment that mounts to the hitch rod( between the tailgate and the back of the cargo cage.) Check it out,....i'll try to find it for ya! OH, and also, they do make rear racks that are on hinges and come up against the tailgate, if you don't wanna have to remove it at times.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but it looks like you are in New Mexico in that pic...

Nope, .... those mountains are 10-12K feet in the background. I'm actually at around 4500 Feet, in Keough Hot Springs, 15Mi. south of Bishop, CA, in Central/NorCal. Bout 100 Mi. North of Mt. Whitney, tallest Mntn. in the Continental US @ 14,490? ft. Been to NM, ...it's beautiful! 40 Miles outside of Albuquerque in the mountains.

Sorry for the tangent, Ian, .... ooops! lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-09-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 AM

Nope, .... those mountains are 10-12K feet in the background. I'm actually at around 4500 Feet, in Keough Hot Springs, 15Mi. south of Bishop, CA, in Central/NorCal. Bout 100 Mi. North of Mt. Whitney, tallest Mntn. in the Continental US @ 14,490? ft. Been to NM, ...it's beautiful! 40 Miles outside of Albuquerque in the mountains.

Sorry for the tangent, Ian, .... ooops! lol.
Ah okay, I grew up in Albuquerque and the mountains in the background of your pic look exactly like the Sandia Mountains. The Sandias are pretty much exactly the same specs too (about 10-12K feet, and ABQ sits at about 5K feet). Yeah it is a really pretty place to live, especially at this time of year!

And now back to Ian's buildup

Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Yeah, well any serious DIP can get it skiddin, lol... but I did some wheeling and didn't have any issues. Just saying, if I was gonna do MEDIUM/SERIOUS wheeling, ...I might take it off and lock it to a tree, lol. Far as the bike, I'm pretty sure they already have kits that allow you to put the bike behind the basket, with an attachment that mounts to the hitch rod( between the tailgate and the back of the cargo cage.) Check it out,....i'll try to find it for ya! OH, and also, they do make rear racks that are on hinges and come up against the tailgate, if you don't wanna have to remove it at times. ...
I was more worried about backing into things, but yeah, getting one that folds up would work great. and something like this would work (with a 2" receiver instead of a ball mount)

...Sorry for the tangent, Ian, .... ooops! lol.
's ok

Ah okay, I grew up in Albuquerque and the mountains in the background of your pic look exactly like the Sandia Mountains. The Sandias are pretty much exactly the same specs too (about 10-12K feet, and ABQ sits at about 5K feet). Yeah it is a really pretty place to live, especially at this time of year!

And now back to Ian's buildup
isn't that where i should have taken a left turn? haha

nothin' speacial for the next few weeks, as i'm saving up for some x-mas gifts (something about "season of giving"). oil change this weekend, and that's about it. i might also make a trip out to the local steel supply place to see how much 75' of .035 1" square tubing is and if they can cut it
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM

"i might also make a trip out to the local steel supply place to see how much 75' of .035 1" square tubing is and if they can cut it" .......

SHARK CAGE? ..... c'mon over and try it out here in PV! Ok, I bet it's not for that... haha.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 AM

hahaha yeeeah.... a "shark cage".... uuum no. it's for my platform
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 AM

Ahhhhhh, a platform on your YACHT! Ok, now I KNOW you're gon'be down here launching it, right? hahahaha. Jk, .... Platform? What did I miss? You mean for the rear cargo area...I mean boot,.... I mean bed? hahahaha
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM

yep, my yacht. it hauls a55

haha

no, but really, my platform
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 AM

HAHAHHAAA! Seriously, I spat coffee all over on that one! lol. I love this one.....

hahaha...

And yeah, I saw that... very cool architecture skills, homie! Home Made Bed Platform FTW!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM

if i ever get around to starting it! i just need to get the estimate.

they also sell the same stuff, but galvanized and with holes. i would like the holes for mounting stuff and weight, but i'm not too thrilled about the galv. if i knew how to weld that kind of stuff, i might get it

and over lunch i picked up some screen for the back windows
Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 AM

ok, this is what i need for the back (or something similar)
irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread-hitch1.png

can't find the name for it, but i'll keep searching

edit: i searched and found this: (pic is link)

Last edited by irab88; 11-10-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM

Harbor Freight has one I want... I almost bought an angled one.(didn't have 2 slots, don't need that... It just rose by bending the box pipe upward I think 6"....like an ATV Hitch Carrier, ya know?)

Quick Reply: irab88's 1993 PickUp Build-Up Thread