86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

HoP's Toyota Rigs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
HoP's Toyota Rigs

I didn't think I'd ever get around to doing a build thread on my rigs, but I guess after 6yrs on YotaTech and dozens of PMs over the years asking about my truck; it might not be such a bad idea after all

Backstory:
My Dad first sold me on Toyota reliability when I was growing up. He had an 84 2wd x-cab with a 22re/5spd. He drove that truck new off the lot until 2000 when it finally died after he bought a Chevy 1500 to replace it with. It was funny - he bought a new truck, drove the Toyota for a week after getting a new one and it decided to throw a rod to teach him a lesson - what timing! Anyways, that truck had like 350k on it and all he ever did was regular maintenance and one time a clutch job - SOLD me on the reliability! My uncle put a used engine in that truck and I think still drives it today!

My vehicle history has been:
-1967 VW Beetle when I was 15.5, put too much $ into it every week fixing basically everything.
-1993 Volvo 240, drove that senior year of HS after my parents forced me to sell the bug because it was "unsafe" and was literally a lemon.
-2nd year of college I bought a 1987 Toyota x-cab 4wd with a 22rte/5spd, 31s -- was an AWESOME truck that I sadly hit a friend's car with after a stupid night of severe intoxication and having no business driving and then a month later when I had all my parts gathered to repair it, some stupid apartment neighbor totalled the truck in the parking lot by literally ripping off my fender and front clip when she pulled forward instead of reversing out of the spot next to me. Stupidly, I cashed in for insurance money and replaced it with a
-1983 Chevy K5 Blazer with 6.2L diesel/700r4 - stupidly bought this rig thinking the 6.2L was a good diesel engine - NOT - it had an 8" lift on it that I reduced down to 4". Also had 35" BFGs, savage deer killer f/r bumpers I made, a stupid camp paint job, gutted interior with Herculiner, hardly any exhaust for stupid loudness...and I used to roll around doorless topless and roaring a ridiculously loud dual stereo to compete with all the noise. Rig became a money pit with that 6.2L diesel giving me problems as well as tranny problems, so I sold it and ran with the money.
-1990 Volvo 740 wagon that was my mom's - she felt sorry for me having sank all my money into "that stupid loud camo truck" as she called it - so she bought herself a Tahoe and gave me her Volvo. Mobbed that car around for a year and a half until I needed a truck, so I sold it and bought a
-1984 Datsun 620 2wd pickup with Z24/5spd. This truck was perhaps the most fun on 4 wheels you could ask for - manual everything, just so simple! Loved that truck, but wanted 4wd...so I looked online for 6 months and finally found my
-1993 Toyota X-cab Pickup 4wd with 22re/5spd - Pretty much the most desirable combo of a pre-airbags Toyota pickup out there. I still own this truck and will share some build info with you guys.
-2001 Toyota Corolla S -- was my Wife's car and now is my DD. Simple little car with a 1.8L/5spd that still rocks out an astounding 37mpg average with my lead foot and over 200k on it (and leaks and burns oil!)
-2002 UZJ100 Land Cruiser - bought this rig in 2009 when we were looking for a larger vehicle for the wife to DD. Went to the lot looking for a 2002 4runner loaded up, and wife happened to catch her eye on a used 100-series on the same lot....well, I ended up looking on CL for a month to find her one in our price range This rig doesn't have a many mods yet, but will someday when I can afford to "pay to play".
-2013 Prius II Hatchback - just bought this car for the Wife's new DD. It's pretty nice car. Sure it's a bit small, but can't beat the 50mpg!
-I also technically own a 2003 Tacoma 2wd that I gave to my Father In Law to drive after my Grandfather In Law gifted it to me when we cut him off from driving.

My Wife's family and extended family all drive Toyotas only as well. When we have a GTG it's a Yota parking lot out front:
Name:  C6500776-48E4-406C-BE3D-7A05ADF65D1B-16660-0000128C30D434D7_zps220f4307.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  141.8 KB

Ok, so here's the stuff you came to see:

1993 Toyota Pickup, X-Cab with 4wd, 22re, 5spd, 4.10 gears and 31" michelin ATs.
I bought this truck back around 2009 after looking every day or so online for a local 3rd gen toyota xcab with 4wd/22re/5spd combo. After 6mo search and almost giving up, I posted a wanted ad and got a response from a kid helping sell his dad's truck for him since the dad didn't speak good English. Turned out to be the original owner of my 93 pickup, great condition inside and out of the rig. Maintenance-wise it was ok, but there was an issue with the transmission input-shaft bearing. Ended up having to rebuild tranny to fix the input shaft problem - then it went in for a 2nd rebuild after losing 5th gear a week later - then after a 3rd visit within 3 months the tranny guy decided to bite the bullet and give me a brand new housing with all-new internals and a clutch job to finally solve the issue. Had I known that this tranny would have given me such grief I would have just gone with a Marlin Crawler HD tranny to drop in from the start!

After fixing the tranny, I took the truck out and put it in 4wd while camping with the Wife:
Name:  DSC_0093.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  109.4 KB
near the Loon Lake staging area for Rubicon Trail

I also decided to join in on my first YotaTech meetup at the Hogsback/Peligreen/Ponderosa Loop run with John101477, Dark_Fairytales, and Space-Junk:
Name:  therigs.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  309.8 KB
Name:  DSCN4104.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  72.5 KB

Since I use my truck to haul loads on occasion, I decided it was time to get a butt-lift since my rig had the typical saggy-butt-syndrome that many older Yotas are plagued with. Decided on hitting up trdparts4u for some Old Man Emu parts to give my rig about 2" suspension lift.

My Lift package:
OME Dakar medium duty 2" leafs
OME bushing kits
new u-bolts
OME shocks all around
OME steering stabilizer
SDORI BJ spacers
Sonoran Steel IFS truss.

I installed the kit in stages - adding shocks and leafs first a good 4-5 months before adding the BJ spacers and IFS truss to level it out -- the truck was VERY raked at this time since the leafs SETTLE to a 2" lift over stock, hahaha. After finally getting everything buttoned up on the truck and breaking in the leafs with a few loads of dirt and rocks for my landscaping, I joined back with the YT guys in 2010 and went on the first Squaw Ridge Trip
Name:  DSC_0301.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  74.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0376.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  117.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0380.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  105.0 KB
Old 10-29-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Great looking truck!! I love the build thread already. You have quite the variety on vehicles that you had in the past. Sounds like me.

Thats too bad about the 22ret getting totaled by the dumb neighbor.

I have also had my experiences with the blazers and their 6.2L diesels. Nothing but trouble.

Can wait to see and hear more about your truck.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good so far! And it's only up to Circa 2010..haha
Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 PM

I forgot to add that before the Squaw trip, I scored a set of factory 4.88 gearsets for my truck because I was planning to someday run 33s after my Michelins wore down. Well, the Michelins wore like iron and I couldn't wait, so in went these:
Name:  488diffs.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  92.7 KB

In 2011 I started getting more goodies put on my truck. I found a local guy, Kyle Curley, who decided to do a small run of plate bumpers for the rear of 3rd gen toyota pickups:
Name:  P6190044.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  179.0 KB

Of course, I didn't want mine the same, so I had him add some bedside protection similar to the Demello Offroad bumper that I was eyeballing at the time:
Name:  DSC_0415.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  100.6 KB

Still using my truck to haul stuff around. Made some crates for shipping sculpture for an artist friend and tested out the OME shocks - no butt sag!:
Name:  569733ae.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  135.5 KB

I tried my hardest to kill the tread on the 31" Michelin ATs that were on the truck when I bought it, but damn if those aren't a 100k tire! Decided to pick up a set of almost brand new Toyo MTs for $600 and put them on my truck with some new-to-me aluminum wheels. Tires are 33x12.5-15 and wheels are identical to American Racing Outlaw II wheels in 15x8"-3.75" backspacing:
Name:  32119390.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  127.3 KB
Name:  a5a056ad.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  144.7 KB
Clearance between UCA and sidewall with this tire/wheel setup:
Name:  114da636.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  78.8 KB

Due to the width of the 12.5" section width, I had clearance issues with firewall/pinch weld area as well as bottom corner of front bumper/valence. Decided to adjust t-bars slightly and bust out a grinder/cutoff wheel and a sledge hammer to make it all fit:
Name:  9534ab47.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  92.6 KB
Name:  fee42df2.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  177.7 KB
Name:  bumperclearance.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  83.4 KB

And of course if you have access, a forklift is a great tool to flex your suspension out and find out where any problem areas might be on the trail:
Name:  338840c5.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  108.3 KB
Name:  08688a00.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  107.8 KB

My problem area is here at the rear axle, where my mud flap mounts. Will be solved by installing longer shackles since I'm still running stock 3.5" shackles. Someday when I get around to it, 5.5" shackles might go in for a 1" higher rear lift:
Name:  6252f772.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  40.0 KB

Then I had the cousin of a friend, who owns BCFab in Rancho Cordova, help me out and fab up some rocker protection and do a u-bolt flip for me to get more rear travel before I went on the 2nd Squaw Ridge trip. I went with Trail Gear DOM sliders, and had an extra leg added to the frame as well as some bedside protection hoops:

And it did great on the 2nd Squaw Ridge trip:
Name:  0a56f85b.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  103.9 KB
Triangulated rear shocks and u-bolt flip helped give a tad more flex in the rear end at the sacrifice of some slight body roll on the road:
Name:  17952c94.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  118.0 KB

Of course, I had to bring my RC Toyota with me ("Ready to Run" Axial SCX-10 with stock Honcho/Tacoma body):
Name:  06bdada6.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  198.3 KB
Which did pretty good on the trails that day too:
Name:  9de8d03f.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  278.0 KB
Old 10-29-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I love it when Toyota fever spreads to a whole family.

Truck looks stout with the tires.

Not even gonna look at the RC stuff.....recovering addict.

Wish I would of kept my Tamiya Bruiser. But I did get $500 for it 10 years ago.

My fave was a traxxis 4tec road car with a Picco race .15 nitro that would do well over 80.

See what you started....lol
Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Great looking truck!! I love the build thread already. You have quite the variety on vehicles that you had in the past. Sounds like me.

Thats too bad about the 22ret getting totaled by the dumb neighbor.

I have also had my experiences with the blazers and their 6.2L diesels. Nothing but trouble.

Can wait to see and hear more about your truck.
Yeah, I loved that truck - it had an awesome stock metallic brown paint job that was a fantastic color - I never see brown vehicles anymore! To this day I still don't understand how she hit my truck - she first contacted from the headlight of her car and scraped all the way past her rear axle, finally stopped her car when she crashed into the apartment we were parked in front of!!! The 22rte isn't significantly more powerful, but at hwy speeds it definitely made a difference - once got me from a concert at SF Warfield back to Davis in 45min with 5 people in the truck at like 3am

The diesel blazer was just a piece. Should have never bought it. Injector pump failed on me, then the tranny was having issues requiring 2 rebuilds, then i had glow plug issues followed by a battery drain somewhere causing the dual battery setup to not be able to crank that SOB over. I'm glad it's gone, but I really should have bought a 1st gen 4runner instead because I'd probably still be driving it.

Originally Posted by Mr Duke
Looks good so far! And it's only up to Circa 2010..haha
Well, sadly there hasn't been a whole lot since then but there will be!

Originally Posted by HighLux
I love it when Toyota fever spreads to a whole family.

Truck looks stout with the tires.

Not even gonna look at the RC stuff.....recovering addict.

Wish I would of kept my Tamiya Bruiser. But I did get $500 for it 10 years ago.

My fave was a traxxis 4tec road car with a Picco race .15 nitro that would do well over 80.

See what you started....lol
Thanks! I hear ya on RCs being addictive - wanted a hobby grade RC all through my childhood playing with my Radio Shack RCs while my neighbor was roaring his nitro cars through the street -- didn't get a real one until 2011 when I could finally afford one - now I've got 3 SCX-10s and 2 more custom projects I'm working on. Just for you I'm most likely going to continue with some RC stuff in this thread! hahaha
Old 10-31-2013, 12:56 PM

1993 Truck specs:
4wd/x-cab

Powerplant:
22re engine, stock. Leaks after DIY t-chain replacement
Exhaust is 2" from downpipe/Y-pipe to 2" Magnaflow CAT, 2.25" pipe to tail with Magnaflow turbo muffler.
Replaced W56 5-spd with Redline 90w oil.
Stock t-case.

Suspension:
Old Man Emu 2" suspension lift (stock t-bars) and steering stabilizer - Dakar Medium Duty leaf springs.
Trail Gear rear U-bolt flip kit with triangulated shocks.
SDORI BJ spacers.
Sonoran Steel IFS truss.

Tires/gears/traction devices:
Factory 4.88 gears, ADD-disabled, manual hubs.
Rear LockRite locker, front open.
33x12.5"-15 Toyo MTs, 15x8-3.75 aluminum wheels (Pacer "Mod Machined" --- identical to American Racing Outlaw II).

Armor:
Trail Gear DOM sliders with added cab protection.
Curley's Racecars rear plate bumper with tube sides.

Interior:
Cobra 76xtr all-in-handset CB radio
Sony XPLOD head unit, 4" Boston Acoustics S45 dash speakers, Pioneer 6.5" door speakers.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh wow, I was a way too long from YT. I just now noticed you have a build thread.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want to do the Squaw ridge trip again that was a blast. even tho i had to ride bitch with NCalDyer.
Name:  DSC_0133.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  154.3 KB
Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cody91
i want to do the Squaw ridge trip again that was a blast. even tho i had to ride bitch with NCalDyer.
Yep, it's time we all find a new trail. I suspect there will be some updates on that topic before summer

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
Oh wow, I was a way too long from YT. I just now noticed you have a build thread.
Yeah, started it a while back after I got bombed with PMs, lol. Haven't been using it much either and should probably update

Haven't done much to my truck at all or even driven it much actually. Had a kid in 2013 and that's where all my time's been spent. Gonna have another this fall

Last year I inherited my dad's 1968 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 convertible, "The Red Sled". About 8-9 months ago I had that boat AND it's parts car shipped up here from SoCal and stored at my inlaw's house in a shed. Need to find a knowledgeable shop that can help me with the engine work it needs. Also needs a lot of body work. Someone else started the project and got it kinda running, but not really, and I have no idea where to start based on what he did. Also doesn't help that it's not stored at MY house where I could tinker daily...or in a shed with power...

HoP's Toyota Rigs-bsifcrb.jpg
HoP's Toyota Rigs-13ph0ok.jpg
HoP's Toyota Rigs-tele4xz.jpg

Then one day I was cruising CL and on a whim decided to buy up an old 1975 Hilux. Always wanted one, it had a lot of work done already and it ran, and was a good enough price that I wouldn't lose money if I had to sell it...but it's a pre-smog!!! Needs paint and a tad of body work. Runs but it was SUPER squirrely on the road, which I just recently fixed by replacing all the steering and now I can finally take it on the highway after I finally did the pitman arm a month ago. Needs to get rid of the annoying flowmaster for something quiet, it drones and sets of car alarms. Need to get a battery for it or find the receipt the PO gave me and get it under warranty - had an electrical drain that I think I fixed, but battery was really really low by that time and so it died last month because I didn't charge it up and wasn't driving it.

Name:  E1B626EB-F2BA-4397-9FF6-0E156C9AFC7D_zpsxewilim9.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  164.9 KB
Name:  853729DB-B5B3-44CE-AF0A-F6A579EDEFE1_zpsyi0ywaln.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  216.1 KB

Now I'm at a point where I need to decide what to do with my 93 4wd now that I have 2 4wd vehicles and 2 pickup trucks that cannot fit my family inside....
Old 04-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Thats a super nice Hilux!!

If I had the money, I would take your ex cab 4x4 off you. I dream about having another 3rd gen 22re pickup
Old 04-13-2016, 01:38 PM

Not quite ready to give it up yet - Still struggling with the reality of it happening some day
Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Body swap the hilux's onto the Xtra cab and Parr out the rest.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:03 PM

...or just sell the 4wd and build a real crawler to satisfy wheeling needs. then keep the 75 because Ill never have to deal with emissions and can engine swap it with whatever will fit
Old 04-15-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
...or just sell the 4wd and build a real crawler to satisfy wheeling needs. then keep the 75 because Ill never have to deal with emissions and can engine swap it with whatever will fit
Not a bad Idea!!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Negative, nancy. Body swap the hilux's to the Xtra cab frame and swap the motor. According to the research keith has done, if you have 3 Vin numbers attached to a cehicle, it gets re registered as a custom vehicle with no emissions needed. Of course, keith would know more than i, tho.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:36 PM

I do recall him saying that, it's like a specialty vehicle registration and the state only does a few hundred per year, high demand I guess too. But after playing with my RC crawlers I kinda decided that if I'm really going to wheel, I don't need a weekend warrior truck, I need a proper rock crawler with a full cage and a body I can raisin up. Something I can stick my kids in and be ok flopping or rolling it.

Keep going back and forth with what I'd start with:
- MILs semi-beat up 98 Tacoma single cab 3rz/5spd/4wd, since family already owns it and she might upgrade to a tundra someday. Do a SAS and walk-through cab with seats in bed and full cage.
- Standard SAS mini truck/4Runner built proper.
- 80-series Cruiser maybe with top chopped off/soft top or truck conversion with 4Runner roll down window addition.
- tube buggy with either fj40 or RAV4 body

Last edited by highonpottery; 04-15-2016 at 04:39 PM.