86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Highlux's 87 runner limped back home.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My friend Phil stopped by today, he had been working on a valve cover and painted it. We rolled down to autozone to get some silver paint, as I plan on painting the Taco and the 99's centercaps.

I have been wanting to get a radio in the 87 forever..listening to the engnbldr cam is awesome...but I know that song already. So I spotted a chepie dual radio that had usb,took sd cards, but didnt have a cd drive. Was like 50 bucks. 50wx4. So I got it rather than buying a face plate that was missing from thr only other radio I had. People wanted $40 to get a new faceplate. All I want is to be able to plug my phone in. I dont use cd's anymore. They might as well be cassettes.

So we got some shrink tubing...I was out. We soldered and shrink tubed all the connections. There were some off brand 4 inch spealers up front...claimed to be 90 watt. They dont sound too bad. I def need some rear speakers for sure.

Not concerned with amps and subs and all that right now. Goal was just to get some tunes in it for now. SO I may go see what kind of 6x9's I can rustle up. I have no idea whats behind the panels in the back...but there are no speakers. The kid I bought it from had a system in it at one point. So I guess he took those speakers out.

Dont want to tear the panels up in the back...so Im gonna sift through speaker threads here and see whats what.

So nice not to see that gaping whole in my dash now.

Her first initiation song was "Rainbow in the Dark" by Ronnies James Dio.

Rear speakers should help a ton.

I messed with radios when I was younger...but usually I just roll whatever the car came with. Although there is a decent radio in the 99 with a screen and such.

I really do love tinkering around with a 30 something old Toyota 4runner than I would a new car.

"Oh what a feeling to drive"
Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The basic stereo system has always worked for me. Agree with you on the CDs, they take up so much space, which is far less then the cassettes and I still remember the 8 tracks.

I enjoy tinkering on the old cars. Now a days they just have to much junk in them and you need a doctors degree to work on them plus all of the software.