86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

duckhead's 91 pickup teardown and rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those guys at LCE are nice and very informative
Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I had typed up some Q's and my D. PC rebooted. I can not stress how much I h8 MS.

to recap, tho, I 'm feeling pretty special (not because redmond hates me..) I don't get what you all are saying about the glass and fitment. Would there be fitment issues moving over from one second gen runner to another (the front glass)? I had rust around the old one, I think I got it aced. But is there something about the clips or trim or something that encourages rust?

Oh, forgot, really great build too.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:47 AM

Windshield is in and looks pretty good. Interior is in too but in a rush here... I'll try to update with pics soon.

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
I belive the clips are urethane in with the windshield so don't try and do them after. Some screw in at the bottom as well i think. I hope the install works out for you.

i think the post about selling was a cell phone thing. Under every thread is a recommended thread, If you scroll down to far and hit reply it will reply into the recommended thread rather than the one you were actually reading.
You're correct 92ehatch in regards to the urethane! Clips seated in and I'll be curious what you do with the bottom trim piece that holds the cowl in. The Toyota gasket for a hilux I have has a groove for the cowl but you know the story.

Originally Posted by Tojo94
felpro had some problems with there headgaskets but from what i hear from LCE they have that corrected
Originally Posted by Tojo94
those guys at LCE are nice and very informative
My yota had the headgasket recall in 99 I believe and I never had an issue with it. I'm not sure if I have ever sourced any parts from LCE but I do hear good things about them.

Originally Posted by coopster
I had typed up some Q's and my D. PC rebooted. I can not stress how much I h8 MS.

to recap, tho, I 'm feeling pretty special (not because redmond hates me..) I don't get what you all are saying about the glass and fitment. Would there be fitment issues moving over from one second gen runner to another (the front glass)? I had rust around the old one, I think I got it aced. But is there something about the clips or trim or something that encourages rust?

Oh, forgot, really great build too.
Thanks coopster! There won't be any fitment issues when switching but I feel as though it would be pretty difficult to successfully remove an old windshield. Most glass places won't install a used windshield. The issue with the trim is that it's merely for aesthetic purposes. Gaskets are no longer "safe" because when the windshield is urethaned in, it becomes a structural component of the frame (i.e. if in accident, won't pop out like a gasket will). Anyway... the windshields were made a little bigger so they could be properly urethaned. Despite the larger windshield there is still a gap between the edge of the windshield and the frame of the cab. Here's a picture to show the gap...

This gap, allows water and debris to collect in the channel which of course encourages the demise of the pinch welds. This is why I tried using the gasket besides the fact a gasket is $40 vs the $200+ for the chrome trim. But... the windshields available in the US are too large to use a factory Toyota gasket. Corey up in Canada has a manufacturer where only a little bit of one side needs to be removed. Needless to say I went back to the urethane. Hope this helped but if you have any other questions feel free to post em! I'll try to log in more.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM

The PO ran their own wiring from the stereo for everything and it was a big bowl of spaghetti. Didn't take any pics because the wiring isn't that interesting... I gutted out what the PO did and wanted to use the factory wiring (minus the speakers at the nonfactory points of course). I picked up a Metra 70-1761 and wired it to the double din harness. Had to cut off the old factory speaker plug.

and crimp in the new connectors

I didn't take a good picture of the door control relay before I began putting the interior in place. It sits behind the front driver speaker in the dash. If replicating, same place where it was pulled from in the donor. Holes are already there and it drops right in with a phillips screw.

I put a small piece of plywood under the carpet/sound deadening on driver side for mounting the amp. Used some loctite adhesive to keep it in place.

Screwed amp into place and then dropped seat back in. Didn't take a picture.

Made a mount for a dual 60 amp fuse block. Block is for the main power and power for the amp. Used original holes in the engine bay.

Swapped out the old mirror/dome light for an SR5 mirror/dome light. Didn't do a "how-to" but very common mod so instructional should be out there. I only used the two front factory screws and cut two X's in the headliner so the 2 bulb housings would fit. Direct fit and worked great. I need to swap out the old bulbs with LEDs.

Will update more later

Last edited by duckhead; 11-10-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 PM

Old radio antenna was siezed so I had to cut it. Needed a new one. Dropped in new antenna and put fenders on.

Antenna - 86300-89124

Due to the throttle cable and a vacuum hose, the hole I put in the hood turned out to be too small. Support structure needed to be trimmed too. New hole and support structure cut back further

After hood fitted, put on the hood scoop and dropped in the hoodliner. Quite a bit of depth to the liner

Used plastic tabs that held the old liner in and Fasson 0802 tape to seal up the edges.

Andddddd.... I turned the key and she survived the heart transplant! "New" vehicle at 171,137.7

Check engine light is on and throwing a P0505 which is interesting considering my idle in the above pic is approximately 1k rpm. I suppose it's a little high but I need to check vacuum hoses. I took the IAC valve apart and cleaned it. Still throwing the code.

Regardless, pretty happy she fired right up Should be an easy fix. Pics of the window from safelight

Guy did a pretty good job. Only minor gripe is on the passenger corner piece rubber isn't sitting well against the chrome.

Inside engine bay with hood/hood liner

Interior. Double DIN receiver sits and looks good in the truck.

Husky 15051 liners fit decently. Drivers side fits better than the passenger side.

Exterior pics with the scoop...

View of the scoop from the drivers seat

Exhaust is scheduled for next week!
Old 11-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Great job man, how is all that sound deadening turn out? Your interior is clean, how do you not have a crack in the dash? I can never seem to find one without a crack. Where did you get the chrome trim for the windshield again?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Woohooo! What hood scoop is that?
Old 11-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by shoes138
Great job man, how is all that sound deadening turn out? Your interior is clean, how do you not have a crack in the dash? I can never seem to find one without a crack. Where did you get the chrome trim for the windshield again?
Without the exhaust, it's difficult to tell how effective the deadening is. However, the exhaust is bearable on the inside! When the truck is off, it's honestly like a tomb. Would have been nice to have taken before/after background noise recordings.

I got the dash from a junkyard. My old dash also had a single crack since I owned it. I got a good deal on it so shop around pick and pulls. One of the junkyards that pulls the parts and resells wanted to sell it for $100... I got mine along with, 2 electric doors, the door control relay, wiring harness, mudflaps, and a few other small items for $100 but I had to pull em. Well worth it in my opinion

I bought the chrome trim from a dealer on the east coast. EB Toyota parts... For any large money purchase I always go through them because most of my local dealers charge MSRP.

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Woohooo! What hood scoop is that?
I used a roush 401345 scoop. I think I ordered it from summit. There are cheaper options out there but I didn't like the sticker that overlays on the front of the scoop. The front of the roush scoop is black plastic.

Last edited by duckhead; 11-12-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Right on
Old 11-12-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
As they say: "Bada boom!" Nicely done.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by coopster
As they say: "Bada boom!" Nicely done.
Thanks coopster!